ABF | ABF or O.D. ...Which way to go?

Screamy

TB Lurker
Credits
What would be a better situation to consider a line haul job with? My thoughts are...OD would get me home more often (making it easier on the drive to work), but ABF would keep me out all week and be a little better in the long run (pay & bennies). What are your thoughts?
OD is a 15 minute drive to work out of Columbus,Ohio..
ABF would be a 1 hour drive to Dayton.

Does the pay and bennies make up for the extra drive time and fuel to and from the job. What about the vacation policy? What you need to do is talk to the drivers out of each area and get their lowdown on each.

Where to work

What would be a better situation to consider a line haul job with? My thoughts are...OD would get me home more often (making it easier on the drive to work), but ABF would keep me out all week and be a little better in the long run (pay & bennies). What are your thoughts?

The answer you seek is simple. Do you want to spend more time with your family? Or more time with your wallet? My choice would be the family. But, if your family has a lot of chronic medical issues I would choose ABF. Total knee replacement, billed 22,000.00 from the Hospital & Doctor's with Central States Health & Welfare. Total out of pocket for this surgery with Physical Therapy was about 300.00. If your family insurance plan @ OD cost you 75.00 a week that is 3600.00 a year. My Union dues are 62.00 per month. Now day the benefits from your employer can be almost worth the same as the pay. Today ABF pays 35,000.00 per, year per Union employee for your Medical & your Pension to Central States before the first dime of wages is paid. That my friend is a chunk of change for any one. Do the math. Good luck.

OD is also an "Employee-at-will" employer,.........which means they can fire you ...(....ooops,...excuse me,...I meant "Lay you off"...)......at the drop of a hat, for any and all reasons. Or no reason. Which,....in practice, means that you leave your Constitutional First Amendment rights of Free Speech at the time clock. In case you don't know, there are certain subjects that are "Verboten" to talk about,.......Union being one of them. Although it is "illegal" to fire you for talking about a Union, because collective bargaining is based on Constitutional rights.....an Employee-at-will employer will just make up some other excuse to fire,....or lay you off,......like "unproductive",....or "bad morale",............so,...if you get hired at OD,...you have to watch what you say, and who you say it around. You can't be a cheeky loudmouth, and critisize management for being dumber than a box of rocks, like we do sometimes at Union companies. We can also suggest and recommend ways for them to operate better and distribute the work more fairly,....and they have to take us seriously,.....not blow us off and tell us to mind our own business. By the way,....trucking in general,...is one of the very few occupations NOT covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938,.....which means that OD does not pay overtime after 8 or 40. Everything is straight time right up to your Federal Hours limit............(....and sometimes beyond, if rumor has it straight.....No wonder OD's Operating Ratio is better than ours.........When they want to cut rates, they can cut payroll......simple as that......

OD is also an "Employee-at-will" employer,.........which means they can fire you ...(....ooops,...excuse me,...I meant "Lay you off"...)......at the drop of a hat, for any and all reasons. Or no reason. Which,....in practice, means that you leave your Constitutional First Amendment rights of Free Speech at the time clock. In case you don't know, there are certain subjects that are "Verboten" to talk about,.......Union being one of them. Although it is "illegal" to fire you for talking about a Union, because collective bargaining is based on Constitutional rights.....an Employee-at-will employer will just make up some other excuse to fire,....or lay you off,......like "unproductive",....or "bad morale",............so,...if you get hired at OD,...you have to watch what you say, and who you say it around. You can't be a cheeky loudmouth, and critisize management for being dumber than a box of rocks, like we do sometimes at Union companies. We can also suggest and recommend ways for them to operate better and distribute the work more fairly,....and they have to take us seriously,.....not blow us off and tell us to mind our own business. By the way,....trucking in general,...is one of the very few occupations NOT covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938,.....which means that OD does not pay overtime after 8 or 40. Everything is straight time right up to your Federal Hours limit............(....and sometimes beyond, if rumor has it straight.....No wonder OD's Operating Ratio is better than ours.........When they want to cut rates, they can cut payroll......simple as that......

Excellent information for a new hire choosing which company. Working under a collective bargaining agreement not only will get you better pay & benefits but will protect help you from 'bad morale' & unproductive'. I also wonder how OD pays when a road driver is called & has to wait for 3 hours before he can leave the terminal because of a lack of freight or no tractors. Wow, after these posts on where to work, remind me not to switch to OD. It would be to costly. von.

Excellent information for a new hire choosing which company. Working under a collective bargaining agreement not only will get you better pay & benefits but will protect help you from 'bad morale' & unproductive'. I also wonder how OD pays when a road driver is called & has to wait for 3 hours before he can leave the terminal because of a lack of freight or no tractors. Wow, after these posts on where to work, remind me not to switch to OD. It would be to costly. von.

Easy answer. OD does not pay wait time, breakdown pay, or layover pay. Drop and hook pay is a pittance

Easy answer. OD does not pay wait time, breakdown pay, or layover pay. Drop and hook pay is a pittance

Actually they do pay break down pay and wait time pay. Not nearly as much as you get paid but they do pay it, it pretty much is a pittance, but lets get the facts straight. They do pay it. But like I said it is very little.

Another thing to consider is what are the chances of getting laid off in the fall and not coming back until next spring. The best benefits in the world don't mean a thing if your on the bottom of the seniority list and not working.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Another thing to consider is what are the chances of getting laid off in the fall and not coming back until next spring. The best benefits in the world don't mean a thing if your on the bottom of the seniority list and not working.

There is a difference between being laid off with recall rights (ABF) and being laid off with an opportunity to reapply as a new hire in the spring(OD).

I wouldn't be so sure that ABF will keep you out all week and I would look into that if it would make the difference. Our vacation policy sucks, after 2 years you get one week per year then after 8 years you get two. And of course the week(s) you get are determined by your seniority so keep that in mind.

There is a difference between being laid off with recall rights (ABF) and being laid off with an opportunity to reapply as a new hire in the spring(OD).

I agree with what your saying either way its definitely something to take into consideration.

ABF would definately be my choice if they were the same distance . I just dread that 1:00-1:10 drive. I spose I'd get use to it. Dont OD pay u for waiting on a truck or freight for like 3 hours if ur there when ur suppose to be? That sucks if they dont. Especially if u could be getting a few more Z's. Im kind of an idiot, but whats a 3 bag run?

ABF would definately be my choice if they were the same distance . I just dread that 1:00-1:10 drive. I spose I'd get use to it. Dont OD pay u for waiting on a truck or freight for like 3 hours if ur there when ur suppose to be? That sucks if they dont. Especially if u could be getting a few more Z's. Im kind of an idiot, but whats a 3 bag run?

They even make their city drivers wait off the clock for their loads to be ready. Even if they came in on their report time. There is a reason for such a low OR

They even make their city drivers wait off the clock for their loads to be ready. Even if they came in on their report time. There is a reason for such a low OR
And any hourly paid jobs don't pay overtime! That's what O.D. Stands for....Overtime denied!

Another false statement to be correct'd.We are to punch in at the time we are told to come in.Thank You!!!!Good Luck to who you choose.I would say that both company's are at the top.

Only you should make the decision on what you know about each of them.Good luck with whatever it will be!

Another false statement to be correct'd.We are to punch in at the time we are told to come in.Thank You!!!!Good Luck to who you choose.I would say that both company's are at the top.

Sorry there Kenny P but you posted a while back how you dont mind reading the paper (quite surprised you are literate actually) and having a coffee off the clock waiting to be told when to punch in. So are you lying now or were you lying then?

Never lie.I enjoy going in early&having free kool-aid while I wait to be call'd.:couch:.We are inform'd in the morning's what time to come in.We show up&we are to punch in at that time.Load ready or not.That's at my term.If we get there earlier&load is ready it is up to that dispatcher to tell you go ahead or wait till told time.:wink:
Sorry there Kenny P but you posted a while back how you dont mind reading the paper (quite surprised you are literate actually) and having a coffee off the clock waiting to be told when to punch in. So are you lying now or were you lying then?