ABF | ABF or O.D. ...Which way to go?

OD is also an "Employee-at-will" employer,.........which means they can fire you ...(....ooops,...excuse me,...I meant "Lay you off"...)......at the drop of a hat, for any and all reasons. Or no reason. .

IMO these would be important questions to ask. Does OD use economic terminations or reductions in force (RIFS) based on the individual terminal's OR? Are those methods used without regard to company seniority? If laid off or RIFFED do employees who may be called back return to their prior pay rate or do they have to start over at the entry level rate?

The thread topic is ABF or O.D. ...Which way to go? Since we are on the ABF forum I think all questions are fair game. From what I've seen I doubt that this thread would have even gotten this far on the OD forum.

The thread topic is ABF or O.D. ...Which way to go? Since we are on the ABF forum I think all questions are fair game. From what I've seen I doubt that this thread would have even gotten this far on the OD forum.

All questions are fair game.How much does ABF pay per mile, drop and hook, deley, break down and any other incintives there are? I asked in another thread but since all questions are fair game i thought what the heck. Just curious.

I have an interview at ABF, Dayton for L.H. later this week. Any suggestions on how to prep and what to expect? Thanks.

I have an interview at ABF, Dayton for L.H. later this week. Any suggestions on how to prep and what to expect? Thanks.
Just be honest in your answers because if you leave any stone unturned and they find out,and they will find out! Your toast! Good luck.

Rented tux is usually O.K. for the interview, but make sure to stay away from the pastel colors.............And the crushed velvet. Leave the pets at home, along with any and all current and ex-wives. Bring 18 years tax returns, unless you got money back....then bring 24 years worth. Last Will and Testament,....your 6th grade spelling tests, all appliance warranties,........and a note from your mother. If the interviewer asks to arm-wrestle,....and you beat him two falls out of three,....you automatically get a dock bid when you start. Don't forget the Whoopie Cushion.............

To the original poster,to answer any questions you may have about either company,I would pm abfer-ABF or JIM BOB-OD.Im sure both would be more than willing to truthfully answer any questions you might have.
Actually for road out of Dayton I would recommend series60, he is new hire there and can give you the best information for a new hire there.

All questions are fair game.How much does ABF pay per mile, drop and hook, deley, break down and any other incintives there are? I asked in another thread but since all questions are fair game i thought what the heck. Just curious.
I believe it is $.57/mile with doubles but that varies a little from supplement to supplement. Each winding of a dolly gear nets .25 hrs pay, I can't help you with delay and break down time but there is very little break down time here.
Be honest, be real and good luck.

When I worked at OD I was told not to punch in if route wasn't cut. I have also been made to punch out when I have already punched in when it wasn't ready. I was laid off from O.D. I was told I could reapply as a new hire and would be accepted back. I told them to forget it. Why would I want to start over on pay and vacations? I love how the O.D. guys scour trucking boards and look for any negative information on O.D. to dispute. I have said once on here that I believe the handful of guys who post on the O.D. board are actually company employees paid to scour the internet and dispute any negative information on the company. It's just like Kenneth tried to argue to the death with me over O.D. using the rail. I knew for a fact they did when I was the one breaking the J.B. Hunt container on the other end. I have noticed that a lot of the O.D. guys in my area that are young new hires don't wave back, and don't seem interested to carry on a conversation when at mutual customers. I wonder why that is? Are they young and new to the business and buying in to the company propaganda? They seem very smug. I know customers will grow tired of that attitude eventually and ship with someone else. Maybe ABF? :) It is sad when these trucking mills turn out drivers who have no idea what an aging workforce like the one at ABF have done for them. They walk around like their **** doesn't stink and think O.D. is the greatest company. O.D. was just a cut rate textile hauler who happens to be on their way up right now. They don't care about their employees. No employer does actually. It is up to the employees to demand what they are rightfully entitled too. Oh one more thing to consider driver. My friend who still works at OD pays $95.00 a week for his family insurance.

When I worked at OD I was told not to punch in if route wasn't cut. I have also been made to punch out when I have already punched in when it wasn't ready. I was laid off from O.D. I was told I could reapply as a new hire and would be accepted back. I told them to forget it. Why would I want to start over on pay and vacations? I love how the O.D. guys scour trucking boards and look for any negative information on O.D. to dispute. I have said once on here that I believe the handful of guys who post on the O.D. board are actually company employees paid to scour the internet and dispute any negative information on the company. It's just like Kenneth tried to argue to the death with me over O.D. using the rail. I knew for a fact they did when I was the one breaking the J.B. Hunt container on the other end. I have noticed that a lot of the O.D. guys in my area that are young new hires don't wave back, and don't seem interested to carry on a conversation when at mutual customers. I wonder why that is? Are they young and new to the business and buying in to the company propaganda? They seem very smug. I know customers will grow tired of that attitude eventually and ship with someone else. Maybe ABF? :) It is sad when these trucking mills turn out drivers who have no idea what an aging workforce like the one at ABF have done for them. They walk around like their **** doesn't stink and think O.D. is the greatest company. O.D. was just a cut rate textile hauler who happens to be on their way up right now. They don't care about their employees. No employer does actually. It is up to the employees to demand what they are rightfully entitled too. Oh one more thing to consider driver. My friend who still works at OD pays $95.00 a week for his family insurance.
You had crappy management and/or was unable to stick up for yourself when they were playing the make you punch out game, if you had a bid you should have stuck to your guns as I have done. As far as rail they do ship with rail, however they are trying to phase it out to get better transit times. I also pay 82 bucks a week for medical, dental and vision for a family, with long and short disability it comes to 98.31 a week. As far as me scouring the boards looking for negative info, if you go look at my posts I am negative towards OD more than most, the only reason I came over here was to get the facts straight so he could make the right choice for him on who to go work for as most of the info here was wrong. If you don't like OD then great, if you want to talk crap about OD then go right ahead as long as it is factual I will not say a thing. I do want to say thank you to the unions because they are the reason I make as much as I do, I am not pro union or anti-union, I couldn't care less. As far as your interaction with OD employees, you don't like OD so maybe just the site of them irritate you, just like that nagging co-worker we all have that just the sure presence of him drives you nuts. I have had many interactions with ABF employees, (as well as every other carrier) out and about and some are very nice and some are very rude, I don't group them all as one big butt hole I just think they are like everyone else, some people are nice and some are rude. Does OD have bad employees; yes they do, just like everyone else. Anyways that's my peace, my intentions were not to stop anyone from talking about the topic, and I just wanted the right info to be out. And if I was negative towards ABF, that was not my intention as I know nothing about the company, other than they drive green trucks and do household moves.

Who said I didn't like OD? I have a few friends left over there. They are the same good guys they've always been. It's the new young ones who seem anti social and smug. I stated I wave at them in passing, and I attempt to speak to them on friendly terms. That doesn't seem like an agenda does it? I mean sure I think your company short changes you, but I'm not against the employees. As far as what you state about "bids" there was no such thing as a bid except for linehaul. In the city management assigned the routes and start times were according to your route assignment. What you state for "sticking up for myself" is what OD refers to as insubordination. There is no such thing as sticking up for yourself at an at will employer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you show up at least 5 min early if not sooner.
Scott will ask you why you want to work for ABF?
Can you drive in a manner to save the company money?
Can you present yourself & drive that would represent the company in a positive way?
What can you offer the company?
Can you work in a group setting for a common goal? (without going postal)
Look him in the eye - shake his hand firm - Listen & don't talk a lot.
Don't park in one of the office parking spaces. (that seems to be a reason for someone in the office to go postal) Don't park next to the black dodge super bee - that guy will go postal.
For the record - I've been there going on 3 months & they have never kept me out more than 2 beds. Usually out 1 bed then back 9 out of 10 times. Get almost every weekend off that I have wanted.

Just go to Estes, you can sit on the side of the road broke down and not get paid a thing for a couple of hours, sit around a terminal for a hour or two waiting on someone to figure out what to do with you next, only to give you a empty somewhere,,,,etc,,,etc,, but they are a strong company where you can just be glad you got a job..

Oh boy! Kenny P is going to be all over you now once he stops the tears. How dare you!

Who said I didn't like OD? I have a few friends left over there. They are the same good guys they've always been. It's the new young ones who seem anti social and smug. I stated I wave at them in passing, and I attempt to speak to them on friendly terms. That doesn't seem like an agenda does it? I mean sure I think your company short changes you, but I'm not against the employees. As far as what you state about "bids" there was no such thing as a bid except for linehaul. In the city management assigned the routes and start times were according to your route assignment. What you state for "sticking up for myself" is what OD refers to as insubordination. There is no such thing as sticking up for yourself at an at will employer.

Stick up for yourself at an "at will employer" and you will be looking for a new employer