ABF | ABF-Teamsters Contract Negotiations Update 4-19-13

Well the trainers do.

Why not?

Come on Stoney, Sure they can, hauling fertilizer....It's all drop and hook! Don't let them boys fertilize you....all them live loads, and unloads and screwed up appt. times, trainer and trainee get to bunk together rather often...Oops
For a team truck to run 3500 to 4000 a week, things gotta work perfect, maybe an ocassional 4500, 5000 unheard of....ever done any teaming? I have, with a BIG TRUCK that would run a 100, just mash on it! Everything has to work perfect to do a 4000 mile week and your ass has gotta roll, and you will be worn out, and I was 22 years old at the time and could roll with the best and my old Uncle new all the tricks. You couldn't hold a gun on me and get me on a team truck...no thank you!

Come on Stoney, Sure they can, hauling fertilizer....It's all drop and hook! Don't let them boys fertilize you....all them live loads, and unloads and screwed up appt. times, trainer and trainee get to bunk together rather often...Oops
For a team truck to run 3500 to 4000 a week, things gotta work perfect, maybe an ocassional 4500, 5000 unheard of....ever done any teaming? I have, with a BIG TRUCK that would run a 100, just mash on it! Everything has to work perfect to do a 4000 mile week and your ass has gotta roll, and you will be worn out, and I was 22 years old at the time and could roll with the best and my old Uncle new all the tricks. You couldn't hold a gun on me and get me on a team truck...no thank you!

I teamed with Big R. Had 5600 mile bid. Pretty easy to do. Granted that was LTL and not truckload. But we had delays too.
My buddy says Prime is really good about the preplans. He usually already has a load ready to go before he's even delivered is current load.
And he does it running 55 to 60mph. Running slower keeps his mpg up over 8mpg.

4000 miles a week in a team operation as extremely easy to do even with delays. In fact most teams complain about 4000 miles.
Hell solos can do 3000 to 3500.

I teamed with Big R. Had 5600 mile bid. Pretty easy to do. Granted that was LTL and not truckload. But we had delays too.
My buddy says Prime is really good about the preplans. He usually already has a load ready to go before he's even delivered is current load.
And he does it running 55 to 60mph. Running slower keeps his mpg up over 8mpg.

4000 miles a week in a team operation as extremely easy to do even with delays. In fact most teams complain about 4000 miles.
Hell solos can do 3000 to 3500.

You have a friend that owns fed ex trucks too, that pay his drivers great money. Do you know anybody that drives a truck but gets crappy pay and miles?

You have a friend that owns fed ex trucks too, that pay his drivers great money. Do you know anybody that drives a truck but gets crappy pay and miles?

I know lots of people in forums. I have buddies here I never met.

And my other buddy who was with FedEx, I even posted his P&L reports. He since sold that venture.

To answer your question. Yes I know of many that get crap for miles.

It always goes off topic when stoney is on . Yes it's everybodies fault, it just goes that way !!!!! Right stoney ?

Actually, if you pay attention, I was responding to Canary's point of ABF drivers finding other jobs, I aggreed with him and added to his point of finding jobs that pay just as good or even better. I was challenged on that point, and I responded to that.
So was it all me? No.

Actually, if you pay attention, I was responding to Canary's point of ABF drivers finding other jobs, I aggreed with him and added to his point of finding jobs that pay just as good or even better. I was challenged on that point, and I responded to that.
So was it all me? No.

To get back on topic, how about it Stoney, if this ABF deal doesn't work out for us, you and I could get a Prime truck, but understand, I will be the trainer, not trainee...would that be something you might be interested in

I haul fuels for a major oil/gas company. I do quite well. If you get tired of cutbacks, give it some thought. Of course, you'd have to learn to actually slow down..Added benefit is, we can't be easily replaced and their just glad we show up. Our contract is up in 6 months, we are already in negotiations and surprise, the company isn't crying poverty. Freight just seems to be in a giant race to the bottom.

It's a simple question. Whats not to believe? Run the numbers, or even better yet talk to a Prime trainer personally instead of dismissing my claim arbitrarily.
It would be very hard to believe what any of them say Primes whole business model is to not have any employees, it's not a lease purchase it's a long term rental, you pay all the upkeep etc. AND if it's so frickin easy why do they have to hire people to recover abandoned trucks? If I were making that kinda cash I sure as hell wouldn't leave a truck sitting some place and walk away. Why are there countless number of guys that lose their shirts to only a handful that are "millionairs" It's because they're lying

I was an O/O for 9 years,...between Union jobs....1982 to 1991,...and one thing I learned was....if you have a real good deal that pays very well...........DO NOT BRAG ABOUT IT.........because you will be undercut the minute someone else can get to a phone...or nowadays, a laptop,....after you had coffee with him in the truckstop, and told him how much money you were making, and how easy your dispatch was. Stoney, I'm glad there's something we can agree on......that driver pay will almost assuredly rise in the next few years, and jobs,....for QUALIFIED people....will be plentiful. Keep this in mind when we look at a 5 year agreement. Would a 2 year agreement serve us better,...or is everyone still worried about our fellow TEAMSTERS at YRC?

I was an O/O for 9 years,...between Union jobs....1982 to 1991,...and one thing I learned was....if you have a real good deal that pays very well...........DO NOT BRAG ABOUT IT.........because you will be undercut the minute someone else can get to a phone...or nowadays, a laptop,....after you had coffee with him in the truckstop, and told him how much money you were making, and how easy your dispatch was. Stoney, I'm glad there's something we can agree on......that driver pay will almost assuredly rise in the next few years, and jobs,....for QUALIFIED people....will be plentiful. Keep this in mind when we look at a 5 year agreement. Would a 2 year agreement serve us better,...or is everyone still worried about our fellow TEAMSTERS at YRC?
I am in favor of a three year deal. As we have seen that keeps more in time with economic cycles. This time it played in our favor, next time probably not.

It would be very hard to believe what any of them say Primes whole business model is to not have any employees, it's not a lease purchase it's a long term rental, you pay all the upkeep etc. AND if it's so frickin easy why do they have to hire people to recover abandoned trucks? If I were making that kinda cash I sure as hell wouldn't leave a truck sitting some place and walk away. Why are there countless number of guys that lose their shirts to only a handful that are "millionairs" It's because they're lying

Wrong, Wrong, and Wrong.

Prime has company and Lease Ops. In fact from everything I read on another trucking forum, Prime does not press the lease onto the drivers.
In fact company drivers are put in what they call a lightweight. A smaller class 8, but they pay em an extra .05cpm(.41 to .44cpm depending on region).

Secondly. They have straight up leases, of which after a 3 or 4 lease, you turn in tractor and receive a cash bonuse
Or a purchase lease, of which at the end of a lease, you can buy the tractor.

Now they are paid a percentage(72% of the load), not a base mileage or fuel surcharge. They avg $1.60 to $1.80 a mile.
And their FM's are paid according to their drivers sucess, so they have incentive to get their drivers the best paying loads.

And I never said it was easy. Sucess isn't suppose to be easy. And Many do fail in the lease model because they don't know how to budget and manage expenses.
But there are many that do succeed, and make a very good living.

I agree 90% of the lease's out there suck. But imo, Primes is one of the better one's.