ABF | ABF / Teamsters Future

river17, I have posted it before & I'll post it again, your posts look more to me as if you are in management and not a truckdriver. And it would appear that you have an anti-union agenda

2631 :1036316054:

I guess that after all these years I have never lost my wallet.
Because I still carry my Honorable Withdrawal Card from Local 886, Oklahoma City, OK.
dated December 1974.
Transcon Lines.

Hey guys fedex driver just visiting. I am a former ABF driver. Please tell me what the big push in sept will be? They haven't told us about it, of course they don't say much about anything. If I may ask when is you contract up, everything we get is based on what you guys get. I don't believe there will be a strike from what I hear from the union drivers I know. I do miss ABF.:hide:

FILTH the Klown :1036316054:

I hope this helps answer your question.

Strike Looming in 2008?

:smilie_132:

Hey guys fedex driver just visiting. I am a former ABF driver. Please tell me what the big push in sept will be? They haven't told us about it, of course they don't say much about anything. If I may ask when is you contract up, everything we get is based on what you guys get. I don't believe there will be a strike from what I hear from the union drivers I know. I do miss ABF.:hide:

He didn't give any details. I think the point he was making is that any premature strike rumors will hurt business.

The contract expires 4/1/08... I agree that there won't be a strike. The negotiators will earn their money & work out a fair contract long before next april.

I have been watching this for a few days and have minded my own business. However, being a fairly objective person, I have a problem with drivers saying that there will NEVER be another strike in one hand and then saying that they will never pay for benefits and the pension will stay the way it is.

When you look at the way things are going I think it is inevitable that the rank and file will have to start contributing to the benefits in the near future. The way health costs have exploded in the last 5 years, the companies see this as the most important obstacle besides getting out of the current pension set up.

I also believe with the UPS freight negotiations it will only make it more of a challenge. My two cents

While most of us agree that a strike won't happen I don't remember seeing anyone say that we'll never have to contribute to our H&W. I sure hope we never do but I'd never say never about that.

The contract expires 4/1/08... I agree that there won't be a strike. The negotiators will earn their money & work out a fair contract long before next april.

There will be concessions on both sides... I believe that both sides are well aware of whats at stake in these negotiations. IMO it will be settled long before 4/1/08

Holy smoke....you want to suffer the wrath of the Frog? They say that all you hear is a loud croak and then it's over quickly. It sounds pretty bad to me.

Sounds like a bad episode from the Sopranos.

But here is the deal. You need to become a Yankee fan and tell me that my kids are cute.

And that I am not that bad for a non union, non driver piece of poop that I am ??

Then we need to work out payment plan.

You do not get all this advertising for free you know. :biglaugh:

river17, may I remind you that you are a guest on these company forums. Your input is welcome but please respect the right of these company employees to discuss issues effecting them and their company without your negative comments.

Feel free to express your feeling about these issues in the union/ non union debate forum.

Thank You

Strikes aren't always the best way to go.
A lot of the time strikes can really hurt the brotherhood.
Depending on how long the walk-out is.
The longer you walk the picket line without earning a paycheck.
The more money you'll have to get in a raise to just break even when you return to your work duties.

But heres another way to get the companies attention.
You have to get all the membership to stand together on this,or it won't work out so well.

You just stage a work slow down,so the companies have a very difficult time making their service times.

A slow down is almost as effective as a work stoppage,but you get to keep working,and earning a paycheck.

The only thing though you've got to get all of your co-workers on the same page.
If some slow up,and others knock themselves out to get everything done,then this tactic won't work as well,and the company will really lean on the ones who are behind this effort.

Well this is just a sugjestion,take it or leave it,I'm just throwing it out to you to help you out.

Most of you know I'm a UPS Freight city driver,and I feel strongly that we at UPS Freight should be behind you in the NMFA contract,but Mr.Hoffa Jr.,and the CEO of UPS have other ideas for us.

this is a question i cant figure out an answer too........in the negotations coming up for the new contract would we be better off putting more money into pension and welfare than in raises in our pockets? would this help to delay the time when we all would have to help pay for our benefits and maybe help get some of the ones we lost back? if we started in the new contract would it help the locals in a couple of years to build up a surplus to handle the rising cost of medical benefits? its just something i was thinking about and i am not an economic major ,just a driver or have the resources to figure it out.........am i wrong in thinking about this or would it be easier to take the raises and try to buy my own supplemental ins.?

I have been watching this for a few days and have minded my own business. However, being a fairly objective person, I have a problem with drivers saying that there will NEVER be another strike in one hand and then saying that they will never pay for benefits and the pension will stay the way it is.

FoTF, I guess never may not be the right word but I'll stick with very unlikely. Both sides realize there is too much to lose and nobody wins in a strike.

I think both sides are pretty realistic and will strive to find common ground to reach an agreement that is agreeable to both sides.

Contract

I don't think that Hoffa would allow a strike to happen. The 94 strike, which was the biggest blunder since I have been a Teamster, put several union carriers out of business, Churchill immediately, (Carolina signed a me too), NW, & eventually CF etc. A strike would finish off the remaining carriers because most of the customers would never come back.
I think that a short contract would be the best at this time. It would allow us to organize & then come back for a better contract with more bargaining power.

When I was a Teamster member from 1966 to 1986 all the contracts were 3 years long.
And that was long enough.

If UPS Freight,and the Teamsters ever settle this so called union contract they've been baganing since Sept.6th of 2006.
I hope the time line will only be 3 years.
Because like I say,3 years is long enough!

When I was a Teamster member from 1966 to 1986 all the contracts were 3 years long.
And that was long enough.

If UPS Freight,and the Teamsters ever settle this so called union contract they've been baganing since Sept.6th of 2006.
I hope the time line will only be 3 years.
Because like I say,3 years is long enough!

That will never happen.