ABF | ABF / Teamsters Future

When I was a Teamster member from 1966 to 1986 all the contracts were 3 years long.
And that was long enough.

If UPS Freight,and the Teamsters ever settle this so called union contract they've been baganing since Sept.6th of 2006.
I hope the time line will only be 3 years.
Because like I say,3 years is long enough!

You watch them bleed Yellow and Roadway. Skim every dime they can and run them into the ground.

I believe this whole move is to break the union. If they could of they would of brought ABF into the mix to.

Don't miss understand this post I'm not happy or want to see it happen. But I believe it is going to.

Again lets just see what they have in store for UPSF. Time will tell!!!:hide:

I don't think that Hoffa would allow a strike to happen. The 94 strike, which was the biggest blunder since I have been a Teamster, put several union carriers out of business, Churchill immediately, (Carolina signed a me too), NW, & eventually CF etc. A strike would finish off the remaining carriers because most of the customers would never come back.

I've got to disagree with you DCM_Doc. I really don't remember the Churchill situation so I won't comment on it.

I'm almost positive that NW actually expanded to cover the entire country after 94 and CF was around till 02. The effects of a strike 8 years earlier didn't put CF out. Poor management did.

You watch them bleed Yellow and Roadway. Skim every dime they can and run them into the ground.

I believe this whole move is to break the union. If they could of they would of brought ABF into the mix to.

Don't miss understand this post I'm not happy or want to see it happen. But I believe it is going to.

Again lets just see what they have in store for UPSF. Time will tell!!!:hide:

CFer, What do you think about my post. Am I way off base or do you agree somewhat?

FOTF,
I'll bet your kids are cute but I'm a National League fan and specifically a Cardinal fan. I don't have anything against the Yanks and I like Torre but I'm just not much into the Junior Circuit. LOL!

I don't think that Hoffa would allow a strike to happen. The 94 strike, which was the biggest blunder since I have been a Teamster, put several union carriers out of business, Churchill immediately, (Carolina signed a me too), NW, & eventually CF etc. A strike would finish off the remaining carriers because most of the customers would never come back.
I think that a short contract would be the best at this time. It would allow us to organize & then come back for a better contract with more bargaining power.
DCM Doc,
Churchill used the strike as an excuse to close...they weren't really a very competitive line at that point anymore. While the '94 strike didn't really accomplish much I don't see where it had anything to do with CF, N&W. Carolina was a merger/buyout thing. Don't get me wrong, I was never a Carey fan but I fail to see how the strike truly closed those you've mentioned. JMO.

the strike in 94 was to put to rest the part timer issue
carolina was marginally profitable at the time
and did not support the part timer concession
a strike would've damaged them beyond repair
preston was also very vulnerable but was owned by yellow corp at the time
they were included in the initial strike action to send a message to yellow

one point that everyone seems to forget
tmi was made up of yellow, roadway, cf, preston, carolina, apa and red star along with a host of smaller carriers
roadway had heavy non union capability
( roadway regional group and viking) as they probably thought they were ok
cf had the conway regional carriers, ccx, conway southern, conway western, conway northern which interlined freight with each other during the strike to achieve national coverage. what we see today as conway freight is the stringing together of these former regional carriers
yellow had limited non union capability with a few small regional carriers in their fold (like saia)
abf had no non union capability
carolina was smart not to get sucked into a strike like the others
cf benefited the most as conway was an adequate replacement for the striking carriers as their capacity was at like 150%. ccx sucked up both regional and long haul freight
once these carriers realized what was happining (especially yellow)
the bond that kept tmi together unraveled quickly
everyone started to withdraw
yeah we didn't get much in return but we definitely won that battle
what happened to cf was predestined as a result of the phenomenal growth conway experienced during this period. all this did was speed up the process
conway was growing exponentially without the strike and the strike brought them many new accounts much quicker at the expense of yellow, red star, apa and the others
roadway with some non union capability fared a little better but their non union subsidiaries were dogs and nothing like the ccx group

bottom line conclusion
greed fueled the demand for part timers as all of the participating carriers got sucked in and only cf was properly prepared to deal with the appropriate teamster strike response
hence the end result is the highly profitable conway we all know today
churchill wasn't a pimple on any of these carriers asses just a weak regional and vulnerable pawn thrown by the wayside

94 Strike

CFer, stldude,big steve, I partially agree with all of you. I think that the worst thing that happened to union carriers from the 94 strike was the loss of customers that we never regained. Certainly ConWay, American Freightways,(now FedEx), Overnite etc. all gained from the strike.

I doubt that the Teamsters will let us go on strike. They don't want to give up that tidy strike fund they have. Just my opinion.

CFer, stldude,big steve, I partially agree with all of you. I think that the worst thing that happened to union carriers from the 94 strike was the loss of customers that we never regained. Certainly ConWay, American Freightways,(now FedEx), Overnite etc. all gained from the strike.

DCM Doc, I honestly believe any loss of business from the 94 strike was temporary at best.
Shippers no longer have loyalty to their transportation companies. Whoever gives them the right service at the right price will get their business regardless of what happened in the past.

The strike may be on the minds of shippers as every contract nears an end but if you follow the industry at all you'll realize that both the union and the companies have started negotiations early, and reached agreements well before the contract expiration just for this reason.

DCM Doc, I honestly believe any loss of business from the 94 strike was temporary at best.
Shippers no longer have loyalty to their transportation companies. Whoever gives them the right service at the right price will get their business regardless of what happened in the past.

The strike may be on the minds of shippers as every contract nears an end but if you follow the industry at all you'll realize that both the union and the companies have started negotiations early, and reached agreements well before the contract expiration just for this reason.

i totally agree with you cfer as all one has to do is compare the 1995-6-7 tonnage with pre strike 1994 tonnage
the impact was short term as an overwhelming majority of customers came back along with a bunch of new ones:1036316054:

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about a change of operations for abf ...possibly opening terminals in Tenn?
First let me say welcome to the boards. Good to have you with us. I hope you will tell others about us.

Now nothing would surprise me when it comes to ABF and what they might do. I have not heard of any but that means nothing.