ABF | ABF Tenative Agreement Is Up

The company said it needed to be able to compete with the non-unions....Can anyone tell me how using cameras and pda's to discipline and or fire employees can directly affect our ability to compete with the non-unions ? Seems like they threw that one in just for sh#ts and giggles !! And the suckers went for it !!

The company said it needed to be able to compete with the non-unions....Can anyone tell me how using cameras and pda's to discipline and or fire employees can directly affect our ability to compete with the non-unions ? Seems like they threw that one in just for sh#ts and giggles !! And the suckers went for it !!

good point.

You can be the best employee or worker all you need is a supervisor who doesn't like you & he can just look for this loophole to get rid of you. it doesn't take much, too long on a bathroom break, pulled over trying to reset your PDA ( the biggest waste of money) somebody asking you for directions...anything can be made to look like stealing time, you are opening the door for them to have a way to rid themselves of anyone who questions them,stands up for himself or others.

Hell we've been sacraficing for at least past 3 years while you guys get your raises and paid health insurance, we have lost out already. Cry me a river, just lost my pension plan. The 7% is guaranteed to be paid back in 5 yrs. We aren't guaranteed anything. You guys elected your representatives and they have seen both sides, but now you want to cry foul...

Go find another company if this deal is too bad...

Your anger should be directed more towards upper management imo. The people at the top....did they lose their pension contributions...do they have to pay more and more for health insurance...did they get pay raises....did they lose or gain stock options ? We have a CONTRACT - we do- to a certain extent have a say in the bennies that we get. If we do not like what is offered then we vote no on it. We can cry a river....we can cry wolf ....and we can vote !!!!!!

To Pulled Both Ways: You are middle management, nobody gives a ***** what you think, Upper management will ***** on you every chance they get,and the drivers, of course hate anybody that knows how to use a keyboard. So keep you're houseboy "go find another job if you don't like this one" garbage to yourself

At ups we have telematics which is hooked up to the computer in the truck, which management can tell if ur seatbelt wasnt on before the engine turned over, and if it wasnt on after u turned ur truck off. Or if u went out of route etc etc etc. But in our contract it states that we cant be fired from electronic devices. But management still fires us and when we have our local hearing and we get our job back we get back pay, but after reading most of ur " b.s. contract" it sounds like abf is trying to micromanage teamsters. They can cry poverty but amazingly find millions of dollars for all this electronic devices. For those who vote yes, shame on you. Send them back to the table. And only if us trucking teamsters only had a vote on who the president and etc where in washington d.c. was. I CAN TELL YOU THIS... HOFFA JR AND HIS CLOWN POSSE WOULD BE PACKIN THEIR BAGS. FLIPPIN SOFTA$$ BA$TARDS!!!!!!

To Pulled Both Ways: You are middle management, nobody gives a ***** what you think, Upper management will ***** on you every chance they get,and the drivers, of course hate anybody that knows how to use a keyboard. So keep you're houseboy "go find another job if you don't like this one" garbage to yourself
What a great attitude to have. Why do drivers hate anyone who can use a keyboard? Do you feel inadequate or ashamed of the life decisions you made that have you working for the younger generation?

What a great attitude to have. Why do drivers hate anyone who can use a keyboard? Do you feel inadequate or ashamed of the life decisions you made that have you working for the younger generation?

Eventually most of us will work for the younger generation. The next generation is being trained to run the world. I am 50yrs old and I am training my 5yr old grandson on math and reading. I hope he takes over what I have built and uses it as a foundation to grow his own life. I am also a driver and can use a keyboard and I don’t hate anyone. Let’s hope the younger generation has more control over their lives than the employees have at ABF Freight. Pleas vote NO.

Where in the post does he point out working for the younger generation ? To get respect ,you have to give respect. Be it Conway where you are or anywhere else. I do not feel inadequate or ashamed of what i do. It's been over 20 yrs. for me ,and i still enjoy getting behind the wheel. If you scan thru the boards ,you will surely find threads about management that are full of hate.It's the nature of the beast.

White shirt is a conway supervisor. He has a whole 8 years of trucking under his belt so you better listen to what he says. He read a book about this once

White shirt is a conway supervisor. He has a whole 8 years of trucking under his belt so you better listen to what he says. He read a book about this once

I don't read books, I prefer to watch the movies. I just can't stand that someone would put someone down just because of their position. Mid Managers have just as much at stake with this contract as the drivers. There are some drivers that think they deserves respect just because they have been doing it a long time but refuse to respect a supervisor simply because they are a supervisor. It goes the same way with management as well. if drivers and management get along and work together the company will be better off.

Some of these old timers have earned the respect they should get and if you don't understand why then you are in the wrong business. Just because somebody is a supervisor doesn't automatically entitle them to respect. Respect is something that is earned over time, not something that comes with a position.

@White shirt, one thing you have to learn in the teamster trucking world. U managers can screw over a driver by keeping him out late, or try to act like u are bigger then a hourly employee becuz u r a " shot caller" but realize this qoute, when you and other managers come in with BIGideas and u think you know how things r suppose to work. You will leave with the same attitude you can in the door with, as you will out the door. Us teamsters dont get fired like you managers do. You huys r a dime a dozen. So dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya. So keep a savings act becuz one day when ur times up, u and ur " new ideas" r guna need it

Two things I keep in mind when dealing with management....

I will work there a lot longer than them, and I probably make more money than they do.

You may want to read this about sick day's

ARTICLE 38.

Section 1. Sick Leave

Effective April 1, 1980 and thereafter, all Supplemental Agreements shall provide for five (5) days of sick leave per contract year.

Sick leave not used by March 31 of any contract year will be paid on March 31 at the applicable hourly rate in existence on that date. Each day of sick leave will be paid for on the basis of eight (8) hours’ straight-time pay at the applicable hourly rate.

Sick leave will be paid to eligible employees beginning on the third (3rd) working day of absence due to sickness or accident except where the employee is hospitalized prior to that date when it will be paid beginning on the date of hospitalization.

Effective January 1, 2009, the accrual and cash out dates for sick leave will become move from April 1 to January 1. As an example, employees will be entitled to cash out accrued unused sick leave on April 1, 2008, and will accrue an additional 5 days sick leave between April 1, 2008, and December 31, 2008, and will be entitled to cash out any unused sick leave on January 1, 2009. In addition, no employee will lose their entitlement to the cash out of unused sick leave on January 1, 2009, because they were not able to satisfy the present eligibility provision of having received 90 days of compensation during the shorten qualifying period of April 1, 2008, through December 31, 2008.

The additional sick leave days referred to above shall also be included in those Supplements containing sick leave provisions prior to April 1, 1976. The National Negotiating Committees may develop rules and regulations to apply to sick leave provisions negotiated in the 1976 Agreement and amended in this Agreement uniformly to the Supplements. The Committee shall not establish rules and regulations for sick leave programs in existence on March 31, 1976.

Some of these old timers have earned the respect they should get and if you don't understand why then you are in the wrong business. Just because somebody is a supervisor doesn't automatically entitle them to respect. Respect is something that is earned over time, not something that comes with a position.

Well said!!