ABF | Abf vs upsf

formerEdriver

TB Lurker
Credits
If a major carrier was to go under,and you had a choice to go to abf or upsf...which would be better? Both terminals are near by,and im not sure who has better pay&benefits?????:tumbleweed:

The difference is the Pension Protection Act, single employer pension reduces your social security. I believe that's how they have it set up, doesn't bother 401K's though I believe. Do your home
work !!! SEE YA !

ABF
UPSF where I live pays ZERO into the pension.

UPSF pays zero to the pension plan because we are not apart of it. That is if you are referring to the Master Freight. We have our own pension plan and 401 if you want.

So do your home work indeed...

Skeeter that's a good one, stir the pot.

Just get tired of all the cheap shots thrown at YRC. The way things are going the next major carrier to go out might not be the one most of us expect. You never know what might be coming down the road and for who.

I know its not part of master freight, know it all.

Yes! But it would be a pretty tough choice between ABF and UPSF. I think in the long run UPS has deeper pockets to get it through these tough times. From what I hear about ABF they would be better working conditions over there. I think they treat their people better. That's just what I heard over the years...

Didn't mean to insult you.

The difference is the Pension Protection Act, single employer pension reduces your social security. I believe that's how they have it set up, doesn't bother 401K's though I believe. Do your home
work !!! SEE YA !

Can you explain this further never heard of this??

UPSF pays zero to the pension plan because we are not apart of it. That is if you are referring to the Master Freight. We have our own pension plan and 401 if you want.

So do your home work indeed...

Is the upsf pension like master freights and does upsf match on the 401k?

Is the upsf pension like master freights and does upsf match on the 401k?

No, They don't match a percentage on the 401 anymore. There is a formula they use on your 5 or 10 highest years. It's been quite a while since I looked into it.
But it is a pretty decent retirement.

No, They don't match a percentage on the 401 anymore. There is a formula they use on your 5 or 10 highest years. It's been quite a while since I looked into it.
But it is a pretty decent retirement.

Thanks skeeter for the info! Now its a coin toss which one i could get a route quicker at? lol

UPSF is a little different than other freight companies. There are many work rules. You must buckle your seat belt while you are in the yard. You must put the chain up across the dock door before you pull out. You have to wear steel toe shoes. You are not allowed to **** chat while loading your trailer, or before you leave the yard. You must pre trip and post trip your vehicle. The dyad ( the brown hand held computer) is your best and worst friend. The deliveries and pickups show up on the screen. You have to enroute yourself to each one, and depart from each one by entering the info on the dyad. The dispatcher knows where you are and what you are doing at all times. You have to take your half hour lunch by logging into the dyad. 32 minutes is what they will tell you to take. If you take more time than 35 minutes they will deduct it from your pay. If you take your lunch but don't punch it into the dyad, you will be up for termination. You will not be guaranteed 8 hours. Sometimes they will give you four, sometimes six hours. Be ready to RUN like you have never RUN before. If more freight comes in than they have manpower, they will make everyone go faster, faster, faster because there is no hiring hall to call. The job requires special UPS training. The freight bills require the driver to fill in many items(more than 12) on every bill. And for all of this, your reward will be "TO GET OFF THE CLOCK AS QUICK AS YOU CAN"

Both companies have their ways of getting it done. UPS uses a stick and ABF is more into grounding you. lol We are driven by the desire to succeed as Teamsters. UPS is driven by a BIG CORPORATE MACHINE! They have their foot prints all over the world. ABF has rules and they demand that they be followed.We Teamsters at ABF have been given the responsibility to carry the union flag for now. Yes yrc has fallen on hard times and needs a hand up. I know many have written we the Teamsters off but we are not dead YET! YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

UPS has their own pension but nobody seems to know exactly what it is. The Teamsters pensions are all on shaky ground right now but who knows where it will all end up? ABF is a well run company not too bad to work for but that varies from terminal to terminal. UPSF is.....welllllll.....UPS. Talk to some UPS drivers and see what a hell hole that place is to work at. At UPS it is get fired and fight for your job back, UPSF is going the same route. As history has it where you go and whether or not it was the right choice is all a matter of chance. Nobody knows what the future holds for any company.
Good luck wherever you end up.