ABF | ABF warns of major network changes if it can't lower labor costs and gain flexibility

Docker I think you have many many good ideas but I'm not so sure I want to see us get back on schedule with YRC because they still have three times the votes we do and they have shown that they are very willing to give-up bigtime concessions. They won't be out of heavy debt for a very long time if ever. As long as they are in terrible financial shape there will always be pressure on them to accept less and they would be able to outvote both ABF and UPS Freight. I don't have the answers but I don't think I ever want to get back in step with them votewise until they show that they won't settle for less. I wish all the YRC members all the best of luck and I wan't them all employed for years to come, I just don't want to be in the same voting pool.

The UPSF contract vote was a sham from the start. They came to an agreement and put it to a vote in 1 terminal (Indy) It passed overwhelmingly, I think 1 no vote was cast. Then it was presented across the country, one terminal at a time, each terminal being counted individually. I backed the Teamsters getting in. I told everyone that they know how to negotiate a contract. The Teamsters certainly proved me wrong. The contractor issue here is insane all because of the lousy language which was used in the contract.

That's Hoffa's whole history...proving his supporters wrong:

Hoffa made big promises to “Restore the Power” and improve pension benefits. His slate’s name was “No Dues Increase—No Corruption—25 and Out.” Quite ironic that Hoffa later oversaw the largest dues increase in Union history, has associated with many since barred leaders and members, and oversaw deep pension cuts that eliminated '25 and out.' He received many illegal campaign contributions from employers; he was later forced to return over $200,000 in illegal contributions.

Within a year of taking office, Hoffa added 137 multiple salaries to the IBT payroll. He pulled the plug on big Teamster organizing drives and launched a poorly planned strike at Overnite Transportation that killed the successful freight organizing drive there.

One area in which he was successful was uniting Teamster officials around him by using a carrot-and-stick approach. He gave fat multiple salaries and perks to his supporters. He punished local officials who opposed him by sending “personal representatives” to their locals to undermine them or by removing elected leaders.

When new UPS, freight and carhaul contracts were negotiated in 2002 and 2003, members were promised that their benefits were secure. But after the agreements were approved, members in the Central States and Western States funds were hit with big benefit cuts.

TDU and the Central States Pension Improvement Committee channeled members’ anger into positive action. Thousands of Teamsters turned out at local union meetings to demand accountability from the Hoffa administration and pension fund officials. That movement continues today in the fight save prevent UPS from pulling out of the Central States fund, thus triggering similar demands from employers.

Today the Teamsters union is at a turning point. The IBT has lost nearly 100,000 members since Hoffa took office.

Teamsters for a Democratic Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Docker I think you have many many good ideas but I'm not so sure I want to see us get back on schedule with YRC because they still have three times the votes we do and they have shown that they are very willing to give-up bigtime concessions. They won't be out of heavy debt for a very long time if ever. As long as they are in terrible financial shape there will always be pressure on them to accept less and they would be able to outvote both ABF and UPS Freight. I don't have the answers but I don't think I ever want to get back in step with them votewise until they show that they won't settle for less. I wish all the YRC members all the best of luck and I wan't them all employed for years to come, I just don't want to be in the same voting pool.

Thanks jimk849 and I agree with you...I don't want to see us get back on schedule with YRC for the exact same reason as you say.

So...tell me...what is your opinion...would you like to see an ABF two year contract...and if so...why?

I would rather see you guys get a three year contract kinda like it use to be and let the IBT negotiate a one year extension to YRC..with an increase in the pension and also a substantial raise..I would say there are many ways to do it but to make everyone happy would be the chore..kinda like living in a dream world..If they gave you a two year contract I would assume it would be more beneficial to the YRC guys than ABF as hopefully it would get them back to making human wages..But lets be real as it most likely will not happen..To even the playing field and have YRC and ABF voting on the same contract??I just cant see YRC coming to terms and giving back that 15% and the pension without a long fight..

I would rather see you guys get a three year contract kinda like it use to be and let the IBT negotiate a one year extension to YRC..with an increase in the pension and also a substantial raise..I would say there are many ways to do it but to make everyone happy would be the chore..kinda like living in a dream world..If they gave you a two year contract I would assume it would be more beneficial to the YRC guys than ABF as hopefully it would get them back to making human wages..But lets be real as it most likely will not happen..To even the playing field and have YRC and ABF voting on the same contract??I just cant see YRC coming to terms and giving back that 15% and the pension without a long fight..

That's just it Crazy...to make everyone happy...and there's just no easy solution.

A couple questions if I may. 1) What does YRC have to do with this ABF contract if ABF is negotiating their own contract? 2) Why wouldn't the company have already shut down under performing terminals by now if they were that worried about losing money. BTW I know why they would wait until now to level the threat of "major network changes". Not trying to stir the pot, I am aware people are on edge due to these contract talks, just curious. And one more thing, plunger joe is a perfect example of why wild animals eat their young. Wading through his b.s. is just painful. Thanks

A couple questions if I may. 1) What does YRC have to do with this ABF contract if ABF is negotiating their own contract? 2) Why wouldn't the company have already shut down under performing terminals by now if they were that worried about losing money. BTW I know why they would wait until now to level the threat of "major network changes". Not trying to stir the pot, I am aware people are on edge due to these contract talks, just curious. And one more thing, plunger joe is a perfect example of why wild animals eat their young. Wading through his b.s. is just painful. Thanks

What does YRC have to do with this ABF contract if ABF is negotiating their own contract?

They have nothing to do with the negoiations itself but the question is about the near future. IMO...the IBT wants a two year contact so that in 2015 there would be a chance for ABF and YRC to both be back under the NMFA once again...but highly unlikey to get approved by ABF or the ABF Teamsters.

As for the major network changes...IMO...they have been looking at change and have implemented some already. After all...if there are any major network changes in the future they had to get the UE all set up first...like the 2008 COO...and the reason they are now announcing the major network changes is just a scare tactic and threat to try and get us to give in to their demands. And if they are looking at major network changes...concessions or no concessions...they will follow through.

As for Joe...what can I say...I agree with you...and IMO...along with 95% of the viewers on this forum.

By the way...just what in the world would you know about solidarity anyway? You are all about your pal Billy boy and show no remorse for what he caused your Brothers and Sisters at YRC! You are all about what is in the best for your continuing pension and that means at any expense to the rank and file today! You are all about congratulating Junior and Tyson on the job of diminishing our solidarity. That's what you're all about!

You're the best..at rhetorical bs. If you had even a slight understanding or vague idea what brought YRC down you would know consolidation in the trucking industry was unavoidable. Ask FedEx. The YRC debt during the great recession almost put them out of business. Note that YRC did not seek bankruptcy protection that would have resulted in liquidation and the loss of 25,000 teamster jobs. Junior, Tyson and big Bill worked it out

Why do you never bad mouth Ft Smith for attempting to take your pension down '08 contract? Tyson prevented that from happening. Why do you never blame Fort Smith for looking to take you down..not higher in this contract. What do you do?..blame the IBT. Good lord man, take a little responsibility. Do what you have to do but paleeezee!! stop the blame game

Solidarity forever,
Solidarity forever,
Solidarity forever,
For the union makes us strong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whatever punk..you're an animal:fingure:

You're the best..at rhetorical bs. If you had even a slight understanding or vague idea what brought YRC down you would know consolidation in the trucking industry was unavoidable. Ask FedEx. The YRC debt during the great recession almost put them out of business. Note that YRC did not seek bankruptcy protection that would have resulted in liquidation and the loss of 25,000 teamster jobs. Junior, Tyson and big Bill worked it out

Why do you never bad mouth Ft Smith for attempting to take your pension down '08 contract? Tyson prevented that from happening. Why do you never blame Fort Smith for looking to take you down..not higher in this contract. What do you do?..blame the IBT. Good lord man, take a little responsibility. Do what you have to do but paleeezee!! stop the blame game

Solidarity forever,
Solidarity forever,
Solidarity forever,
For the union makes us strong.

First of all...calm down Joe...take a chill pill. Second...what you doing talking about YRC and their problems here...do you realize that you are here...on the ABF forum? So...why don't you just trot on over there with your explanation of why YRC has problems...that's right...you can't...they don't want to hear your BS...well...guess what...neither do we.

I'll just say one thing about your pal Tyson for right now...if it were left up to him...the ABF Teamsters would be working at 85% wages right now. Now...need I say more?

Plumber_2.gif

Oops...wrong forum again!

Plunger Joe you should not be anywhere near this drunk so early-on tonight. Take a nap and you will probably wake "feeling your old-self"

All I will say is to "think long and hard" before you shoot yourself in the foot. We all should realize by now the shape our country is in,this being said, do you think ABF has an endless pot of gold? I don't think so. 90% of your job is better than 100% of "NO' job. Don't think like the thousands already on goverment hand-outs, that the goverment can support you forever. When 100% of the USA popoulation is not working, who's going to feed us? Remember this is just my opinion, but again I'm just an old trucker. Happy New Year and pray that the USA will survive.

All I will say is to "think long and hard" before you shoot yourself in the foot. We all should realize by now the shape our country is in,this being said, do you think ABF has an endless pot of gold? I don't think so. 90% of your job is better than 100% of "NO' job. Don't think like the thousands already on goverment hand-outs, that the goverment can support you forever. When 100% of the USA popoulation is not working, who's going to feed us? Remember this is just my opinion, but again I'm just an old trucker. Happy New Year and pray that the USA will survive.

I'll tell you my opinion...the race to the bottom is what you call "shooting yourself in the foot". Tell me...the union pay and benefits drop...then followed by the reciprocated pay and benefits drop by the non union carriers...just where will it stop? I'll tell you...at the bottom!