ABF | ABF warns of major network changes if it can't lower labor costs and gain flexibility

Docker the only way your going to get solidarity in freight is if we get our elected officials (Hoffa and company)out because IMO they don't give a hoot about us..Look at the teamster magazine,most issues don't even mention freight anymore ..We are like a sore subject..We have to get all the freight contracts whether they are NMFA or white paper to end at the same time..That is the only way freight will have any clout anymore..
Solidarity..Something I believe our present leadership does not want us to have...

It amazes me how Hoffa is re-elected every time. Cause every I talk to says no way they vote for him.

It amazes me how Hoffa is re-elected every time. Cause every I talk to says no way they vote for him.
Freight workers are in the minority. The rest just vote for the status quo.

Freight...a core industy...is the "red-headed step-child" in the eyes of the IBT. They are more concerned with organizing police, sanitation, municipal workers, or school bus drivers. All these jobs are tied to the tax base, and will never go away...unlike trucking, where everything is on wheels, and can be moved out of a Locals' jurisdiction at a moment's notice....as we all know. Look at the Truckload carrier side of trucking. 100% non-Union, high turnover rate, abysmal wages and conditions, and the IBT considers organizing Truckload carriers as a logistical impossibility, so they don't bother.

So, would exploring other representation be a bad thing or?
I would recommend against it for many reasons. In spite of the IBT's shortcomings I do not see a better option. Right now I see signs that they are feeling the heat from the fallout after bungling the YRC situation and they are listening to us at least a little.

I'll have to agree with Brother ABFer. The old saying "Stick with the devil you know." And he makes a good point. A little dissatisfaction in the ranks after the YRC fiasco might make them a little more responsive to our wants and needs. They know we'll be looking at everything they do very critically. Last thing they would need is a National Labor relations Board complaint about conflict of interest and failure to bargain in good faith.

They hate a formal complaint

I'll have to agree with Brother ABFer. The old saying "Stick with the devil you know." And he makes a good point. A little dissatisfaction in the ranks after the YRC fiasco might make them a little more responsive to our wants and needs. They know we'll be looking at everything they do very critically. Last thing they would need is a National Labor relations Board complaint about conflict of interest and failure to bargain in good faith.

Your above comment reminds me of something similar but different. About a year ago after 2 grievances & no action I called Murray Babb, Vice President of Terminal Operations & told him in the form of pictures & voice that we had had enough. Called him on Tuesday & he asked for a couple of days to fix the problem. I said ok & thought that a fair compromise. On the following Monday I came to work & the problem had not been taken care of. The problem was a filthy bathroom that I wouldn’t let my dog use. Also a leaking sewer drain in the basement that leaked all kinds of crap on top of our lockers in the basement. I started to call the Marion County Board of Health to bring in an Inspector, but someone told me the Board of Health had just left. Someone beat me to it. This same problem happened again back in Nov / Dec of 2012 with a dock worker ready to call the Inspectors again. This time he complained to Mike Saucier (Regional Director) in Chicago & the problem was addressed the very next day. On 2 different occasions about 2 years ago a complaint was filed with OSHA over poor lighting in the yard @ 050. The second visit resulted in $20,000 in lighting being installed & becoming compliant with the OSHA Citation. Is there a pattern here? Has anyone @ other Terminals had to resort to formal complaints to have something so minor fixed? Is the Corporate mind set to save money @ the expense of the men & women who make it possible every day? My point being is no Corporation likes ANY Government Agency inspecting their property or books. It always leads to bad things the Officers of the Company would not like to see. Maybe charges need to be brought forward to the NLRB against the IBT. I do not know if those actions would be of merit. What I do know is that complaints like the above mentioned DID result in the problem being corrected. Would charges brought against the IBT change things for the better even though your complaint might not be upheld? Just throwing this out there for your thoughts.

To file a formal complaint a violation has to have taken place. If that has happened and a complaint is filed action would probably be taken. I believe such an action has been taken in re the apparent non-payment of increased H&W and pension contributions. I am all for it and hope for a win on the complainants' behalf but I am pessimistic as all previous similar complaints have failed. It seems like the IBT has the unilateral right to do whatever they feel is 'best' :hysterical: for us.

To file a formal complaint a violation has to have taken place. If that has happened and a complaint is filed action would probably be taken. I believe such an action has been taken in re the apparent non-payment of increased H&W and pension contributions. I am all for it and hope for a win on the complainants' behalf but I am pessimistic as all previous similar complaints have failed. It seems like the IBT has the unilateral right to do whatever they feel is 'best' :hysterical: for us.

Think you might be right.

I would recommend against it for many reasons. In spite of the IBT's shortcomings I do not see a better option. Right now I see signs that they are feeling the heat from the fallout after bungling the YRC situation and they are listening to us at least a little.

I agree that changing representation now would be a bad idea, however it seems to me that opening the discussions about our new contract by demanding a two year term is not listening to the rank and file. I really doubt that any of the questionnaires were returned to them from us stating a desire for that. I could be wrong on this point, but it seems this demand benefits the IBT more than ABF workers.