About ABF's next contract

Discussion in 'ABF Freight System' started by stl, Mar 5, 2017.

1. tripleswest

tripleswest Member

A couple of friends haul new Pete's from the factory in Denton Texas. They are under the carhaul contract that was ratified recently . They still have the same insurance as we do And raises through out the contract and no consessions. Again we are at a lower pay rate than most of the ltl companies It's time to move forward!

2. Trucker 206

Trucker 206 Well-Known Member

Management? Goodness...no. Who on this planet wants THAT headache.

canaryinthemine likes this.
  3. canaryinthemine

canaryinthemine Retirement....The Job I Was Born To Have!

Management avoids the headaches by having their conscience surgically removed upon hiring...........No headaches at all after that. No problems with ethics , either.....

SAC75 likes this.
  4. canaryinthemine

Good for them! As a former car hauler, I'm glad to see them get a good contract, even though it took almost a year and several votes that the Teamsters said were "crucial to the companies' survival".....

Our car-hauling Brothers didn't fall for the "survival/ concessions" crap......... And the Teamsters were forced to negotiate a good, honest contract.

I hope the Unionized LTL members take a lesson in solidarity from them!

5. ABFer

ABFer Super Moderator Staff Member

It's a damn shame that they had to force them to negotiate a good contract. The level of incompetence at the IBT is at an all time high. I'm surprised that they didn't just shove a rejected contract down their throats and tell them that they knew what was good for the membership and that they should feel lucky to have jobs.

6. 00mustang

00mustang JUST LIVING THE DREAM

ABFer they tried that twice in the first meeting they told us that the company's don't have anything left in the piggy banks "BEST CONTRACT EVER IN CARHAUL' BS we said try again not so good 2nd time same oh same oh . Then they come up and say that they finally got to look at the compaines books and the company's "LIED TO THEM ABOUT THE MONEY" heaven firbid the union was lied too BUT we did get what wqs needed to pass it full boat on HW AND P and even got some improvments on health care. Good luck guys hope for the best for ya

7. canaryinthemine

Good Grief! The IBT admitted that the company LIED to them?? Did they think they were dealing with saintly choirboys? These are corporate CEO's,.......not quite human, congenital liars at spawning.

First Rule of Negotiating with 21st Century Corporate Management: Immediately accept the fact that you're dealing with people so crooked that they need help screwing their pants on in the morning,........... people that casually lie to their associates and family ( .....see "Trophy Wife".....)..........people who automatically assume you're lying to them, so they will preemptorily lie to you first..........people who believe their bank account justifies their lies,....and the size of their lies is in direct proportion to their bank account.....

00mustang, tripleswest, ABFer and 3 others like this.
  8. vongrimmenstein

vongrimmenstein Well-Known Member

I need to corner the market on duct tape & bailing wire. Then sell it to YRC @ a discount. 6 months later I could sell my company & buy an island with the profits. Some YRC trucks are so old they stopped making parts 10 years ago. von.

9. canaryinthemine

Don't sell it to them at a discount....... Double the price, and offer a 10% kickback to some corporate creep in charge of maintenance......

You and him will both be buying islands in 3 months instead of 6.....

Besides, he will be more familiar with that way of doing business, instead of just an honest profit.

10. vongrimmenstein

Good idea, but I gotta get out of Doge before the coppers catch up to me. von.

canaryinthemine likes this.
  11. aproductive

aproductive New Member

What can I do if the broker hasn't paid in over 30 days? Solution anyone?

12. vongrimmenstein

Prayer. Or a surprise visit to his sleeping quarters around 0300. That way you can get his undivided attention. von

13. aproductive

aproductive New Member

14. SAC75

SAC75 Well-Known Member

File a small claims lawsuit. Sheriff will serve them. Most likely they will pay.

15. 6PakAbs

6PakAbs Active Member

**It really depends ...you are obviously very high on the YRC board, but would be at the bottom of the ABF board...lose all vacation and seniority...eventually on lay off during the slow periods at the beckon and call of mgmt...and like others say, I would not give all that up just to "hope" for a better pension....HECK no, I would NOT leave YRC for ABF...with your time and seniority, it would be a no brainer..

vongrimmenstein likes this.
  16. vongrimmenstein

Our pension will be cut in the next 2 years. And no one knows how much. Stay where you are. By changing to ABF I don't believe you would gain much more than staying @ YRC. 5 or 6 weeks of vacation is a lot to give up for a maybe with the pension fund. Plus you will get the hard jobs versus picking what you know where you are. von.

SAC75 and 6PakAbs like this.
  17. SAC75

SAC75 Well-Known Member

I think the misconception is that all them 1/4 years turn into full years. I don't think that's the case. You just start earning full years as you work. Which takes a year to give you a full 100% paid year into the pension fund. That and a contract coming up, you might end up giving all your vacation away for the same pension payment cuts you have at YRC. Ya never know.

vongrimmenstein and 6PakAbs like this.