SAIA | About Saia pay cuts

Wild Child

TB Lurker
Credits
Before I begin my statement please understand I am not crying the blues or looking for sympathy, I am just explaining what it looks like on this side of the fence. I have been a P&D driver for 13 years...12 years with another company that I will not mention. When freight levels took a down turn this other company laid off or manage to get rid of senior guys through various tactics, I was one of them. When I lost my job with this other company I was making 20.55 per hour. I was lucky enough to find work with Saia and they paid me 21.00 per hour. After 7 months I was laid off from Saia because of no senority, and I understand and respect that. The only job I could get was driving a truck for 12.00 per hour straight time. Health insurance for me as a single guy cost 89.00 a week, and on a daily basis drivers are told "you need this company more than we need you". Within the 6 months I have worked for this company I have lost everything I own. I have no medical insurance, my 2 credit cards are closed out, my "good" car repossesed, stuff like that. There have been weeks that money was tight and I go 1 or 2 days without food (literally). Beleive me when I say I have hit rock bottom. Like I have said, I am not crying the blues, I will not go on unemployment and milk the system, I beleive in honest work for honest pay. I see alot of people sounding like spoiled children on here because of a 5% pay cut or no 401k matches. I would have let them cut my pay 15% and freeze my 401k if it saved my job. Point is....you dont realize what you have and how much you have to loose until your ability to pay your bills has been taken. Take 46 or 47 hours a week and multiply it times 12.00 an hour....compare that with what Saia pays you after the pay cut....all of the sudden Saia does not look so bad. I have nothing but respect for every P&D driver, line haul driver and anyone else in this bussiness...but I dont think some of you realize how lucky you are. In closing of my thought I will pass on a happy note....Saia has called me back to my full time P&D position but they are bringing me in at 18.29 per hour.....and I thank God every day for that....I know things will be fine because I have learned to appreciate what I have....but it took loosing it for a while to learn that lesson. I wish all of you guys the best of luck and please keep it safe out there so you can go home every day and see your families. Hang in there guys and gals....it will get better.

Glad to have you back. I hope we do well enough to call others back as well. Turst God, He is faithfull..

Before I begin my statement please understand I am not crying the blues or looking for sympathy, I am just explaining what it looks like on this side of the fence. I have been a P&D driver for 13 years...12 years with another company that I will not mention. When freight levels took a down turn this other company laid off or manage to get rid of senior guys through various tactics, I was one of them. When I lost my job with this other company I was making 20.55 per hour. I was lucky enough to find work with Saia and they paid me 21.00 per hour. After 7 months I was laid off from Saia because of no senority, and I understand and respect that. The only job I could get was driving a truck for 12.00 per hour straight time. Health insurance for me as a single guy cost 89.00 a week, and on a daily basis drivers are told "you need this company more than we need you". Within the 6 months I have worked for this company I have lost everything I own. I have no medical insurance, my 2 credit cards are closed out, my "good" car repossesed, stuff like that. There have been weeks that money was tight and I go 1 or 2 days without food (literally). Beleive me when I say I have hit rock bottom. Like I have said, I am not crying the blues, I will not go on unemployment and milk the system, I beleive in honest work for honest pay. I see alot of people sounding like spoiled children on here because of a 5% pay cut or no 401k matches. I would have let them cut my pay 15% and freeze my 401k if it saved my job. Point is....you dont realize what you have and how much you have to loose until your ability to pay your bills has been taken. Take 46 or 47 hours a week and multiply it times 12.00 an hour....compare that with what Saia pays you after the pay cut....all of the sudden Saia does not look so bad. I have nothing but respect for every P&D driver, line haul driver and anyone else in this bussiness...but I dont think some of you realize how lucky you are. In closing of my thought I will pass on a happy note....Saia has called me back to my full time P&D position but they are bringing me in at 18.29 per hour.....and I thank God every day for that....I know things will be fine because I have learned to appreciate what I have....but it took loosing it for a while to learn that lesson. I wish all of you guys the best of luck and please keep it safe out there so you can go home every day and see your families. Hang in there guys and gals....it will get better.

Wildchild you need to re-think your problem. Do not sit around and refuse help that is available to you. You have worked for it all these years and now it your time to use these sources. I too have felt the wrath of Saia. Their decisions cost me everything. And I mean everything. I was forced into bankruptcy, lost my house, pickup, health care and you name it, I lost it. I almost did not go for the unemployment because I did not want a handout. It's not a handout. Part of that money is taken out of your check every week in the form of taxes. YOU PAID IT.YOU NEED TO COLLECT IT. I took the money and later got two jobs in one month. I kept the better of the two. There are MANY other programs available to you and they are all geared toward getting you "back in the saddle", where ever that might be. Hold your head high and follow that small still voice you hear but can't quite place. It will lead you in the right direction.

Thank you for the info I appreciate the thoughts but I am returning to Saia next week. I will just get back in the game...bust my butt and get back on top again.

Wild child, very well written. I don't know what else to say other than good luck. Also I agree with othertrucker, sometimes life deals us cards we didn't ask for, If you don't take advantage of it there is nothing wrong with unemployment, you have earned it!

Glad to hear they called you back! Freight levels look like they are on the uptick in Greenville, SC....nice to see it's not just here.

Thank you for the info I appreciate the thoughts but I am returning to Saia next week. I will just get back in the game...bust my butt and get back on top again.

Good luck on returning. MAYBE now that things are starting to look upwards, things will go better for everyone. I do have to tip my hat to you though. I would not have chosen to go back to Saia. I have a 40 hour week now and love it. Best of luck to you. Don't be a stranger on here.