Yellow | Absenteeism Papers

i understand in nashville .man was fired for taking a five day book off 1st week of new mou .
with dr note that should be 1 warning .they are saying only thing clean is your wallets and man will have to fight for his job

i understand in nashville .man was fired for taking a five day book off 1st week of new mou .
with dr note that should be 1 warning .they are saying only thing clean is your wallets and man will have to fight for his job
If this type of behavior happens and continues it just might be what pushes someone over the edge...

The ONLY side job I have is responding to dedicated and punctual meesters such as yourself.

:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

"Boohoo, mean old YRCF is going to punish me for taking off when ever I feel like it"!
How dare them tell me when and how long to be at work. :Violin::duh:
I thought name calling was against the rules

I heard
That there was a meeting this week in phoenix.
And that the issues of the new absenteeism rules where to be addressed and clarified.
Too many misunderstandings and improper procedures by management going on.
In their zeal to curb abusive absenteeism,, innocent employees with valid excuses are
being targeted.
I hope they can better negotiate this matter, then they did with the MOU.
Don't throw out the baby with the bath water YRCW management.
But in the meantime as KK has pointed out KNOW your RIGHTS.
PART 395 - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

OSHA orders trucking company to stop retaliating against drivers
Portland, Ore., worker fired for not driving while ill, filed whistleblower complaint

PORTLAND, Ore. – The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration ordered Oak Harbor Freight Lines Inc. to compensate a worker who refused to drive in violation of safety regulations. OSHA has also ordered the trucking company, based in Auburn, Wash., to stop retaliating against workers who refuse to drive trucks while too ill or fatigued to safely operate vehicles at its facilities.

A commercial truck driver working for the company in Portland was suspended without pay indefinitely before being fired in September 2010 in retaliation for refusing to drive in violation of the Ill or Fatigued Operator Rule enforced by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. OSHA's investigation found the driver had notified the company that he was sick and taking a prescribed narcotic cough suppressant. Upon his termination, the worker filed a whistleblower complaint under the Surface Transportation Assistance Act, which protects drivers from retaliation for refusing to violate truck safety laws that protect them and the public.

"Punishing workers for exercising their right to refuse driving assignments is against the law," said David L. Mahlum, OSHA's acting regional administrator in Seattle. "A company cannot place its attendance policies ahead of the safety of its drivers and that of the public."

OSHA determined that the attendance policy of Oak Harbor Freight Lines punishes drivers by issuing them notices of "occurrences," which can result in disciplinary action or termination for failing to drive, regardless of possible safety concerns. OSHA is requiring the employer to compensate the employee for lost wages and has ordered the company to remove any occurrences from the driver's personnel file. The employer will also be required to post a notice for drivers to read and learn about their lawful rights under the STAA.

OSHA enforces the whistleblower provisions of the STAA and 21 other statutes protecting employees who report violations of various airline, commercial motor carrier, consumer product, environmental, financial reform, food safety, health-care reform, nuclear, pipeline, worker safety, public transportation agency, maritime and securities laws.

Employees who believe that they have been retaliated against for engaging in protected conduct may file a complaint with the secretary of labor to request an investigation by OSHA's Whistleblower Protection Program. Detailed information on employee whistleblower rights, including fact sheets, is available at www.whistleblowers.gov.

Under the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, employers are responsible for providing safe and healthful workplaces for their employees. OSHA's role is to ensure these conditions for America's working men and women by setting and enforcing standards, and providing training, education and assistance. For more information, visit http://www.osha.gov.

Editor's note: The U.S. Department of Labor does not release names of employees involved in whistleblower complaints.

###

U.S. Department of Labor news materials are accessible at http://www.dol.gov. The information above is available in large print, Braille or CD from the COAST office upon request by calling 262-693-7828 or TTY 262-693-7755.

He should attend the event. Smaller local newspapers are always are happy to give a little coverage. Have him take a couple photos and submit them. With the so called clean slate, he should only get a verbal. If through unfortunate circumstances he is facing suspension ANY committee should disregard that absence. As far as progression is concerned.
Good Luck!

What happened to his days? Did he use his sick days not being sick? Granted when my kid got married out of state I had 6 months notice so I could plan. You telling me a guys knows his son is in service, would graduate sometime, and didn't bother to keep any days available?

Still, if it were me, I'd go, and it would be my only offense in 6 months, so it wouldn't be an issue, estinuating circumstences down the road. Do whatever family comes first.

Now if the fish are biting, I might have another circumstence. But that's a different day and time

His vacation kicks in a month after the event so it no issue he just wanted two excused days to attend. Basically travel days, a day to travel there and back before getting back in the seat. Good time to visit Parris Island w/o those darn sand fleas attacking you OH RAHH

People, you've got a job. Show up and be on time.

There is nothing in that memo that is unreasonable. There is no white-collar job that pays at the level of what drivers are making that doesn't require dependable attendance. School teacher? Registered Nurse? Pharmacist? You can't just take off whenever you want.

This kind of nonsense is what gives unions a bad name.

Wow - seems so simple doesn't it???

Firings will only occur to those who FAIL to protect themselves. FMLA and proper use of sick paid days. When YOU accepted employment, I'm sure it was mentioned that attendance was MANDITORY, not OPTIONAL!

WHAT?? When I get hired for a job I actually have to SHOW UP?? And WORK?? to get paid... Say it isn't so!! I thought I could just go thru the weeks and get paid vacation and sick days??.... Have to go re-think this....

If you carefully read the first line of the 3rd paragraph and the first line of the 4th paragraph, it clearly states that the objective of the policy is to "identify those with an attendance problem" and "to concentrate on those people who demonstrate an ongoing pattern of habitual absence". Sounds to me that this is exactly what I commented on a couple of weeks ago - that abuse by a few ends up making it bad for everyone. Hopefully this time the few who abuse will not cause every one else to suffer.

You know - I had a thought.... it's not ONLY the "abuse by a few" that is the problem... it's the idiots that stand by the "few" and make up excuses for them and coddle them that are also the problem...

Just saying...

You know - I had a thought.... it's not ONLY the "abuse by a few" that is the problem... it's the idiots that stand by the "few" and make up excuses for them and coddle them that are also the problem...

Just saying...
I see it just the opposite, Management that wants to treat every absence as a crime against Humanity while requiring a Man to work well beyond the norm of 45 hours. Seen it time and again a man would state I need off by 6:00 and the Brain trust he advised would go out of their way to circumvent his request. Then again I'm one of those "Idiots" that sat across from the table from you at the panel and shoved it back in your ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could write a book on this attendance policy .
The reason the company must treat every absence the same system wide is because of a few that can not seem to make it to work.
Favoritism just won't work at hearings.
This company has tried for years to can people that for some reason or another have decided that their employment is not a priority at the top of their list.
In SLC (881) we had the class of 2000 hired on and I believe only 1 is left out of 15. Guess where the others are ?
Do I like it NO
Do I blame the company for their actions ? NO
A note:
Some Terminal managers think they have a DR. on the front of their name tag. The only thing they Dr is the numbers and do a poor job of that..

I'm amazed that people who can't run a trucking company have the magic power to determine how many days a year a person will be sick and decide on which days the person should be sick.

Logically - what you said is not at all what they are doing. The problem here is that a few people who are incapable of 'responsibility' are now being forced to be responsible... Show up, use your sick days for being sick (instead of farting around)... and you know, be an adult....

Look around - if this was such an incredibly difficult task.. showing up to work.... it wouldn't be required of every working adult in the country...

Did you ever think that perhaps the reason they can't run a trucking company is because they don't know if they will have employees that day??

One final question - could you do better? How many days do you think employees should be able to "not show up"... give it some thought.. if you schedule your car for an oil change on Monday - do you expect someone to be there to change the oil? Would it be just OK with you if you took time to drive down there to see a sign that said "Just didn't feel like coming to work today.. weather is too nice, too crappy, whatever... so I went out, stayed in.. just don't want to be here"?? Yeah, I'm sure you would be OK with that...

Last edited by a moderator:
I see it just the opposite, Management that wants to treat every absence as a crime against Humanity while requiring a Man to work well beyond the norm of 45 hours. Seen it time and again a man would state I need off by 6:00 and the Brian trust he advised would go out of their way to circumvent his request. Then again I'm one of those "Idiots" that sat across from the table from you at the panel and shoved it back in your ass.

You know, your right... there is 'bad' on all sides... but to blame one side or the other, with no mention of the idiots that stand behind someone else's stupidity... Fine, defend the people that are absent whenever they feel the need... then once you save their job.... make sure they understand what is expected of them and don't allow them to do it over and over and over and over....

Here is the problem... as I see it.... Once someone 'gets away with something' you never get them to go 'back'... right? We can all agree on that...
once the company takes it.. you never get it back...
once the absenteeism is 'defended' it will happen again and again and again...
give an inch - take a mile...

and the people that 'allow' that to happen are the peers... the ones that 'defend' the stupidity and never 'correct the behavior' Seriously - we owe it to our peers to call them on their issues... not coddle them and make it 'all better'.

Just my one single unsolicited opinion

You know, your right... there is 'bad' on all sides... but to blame one side or the other, with no mention of the idiots that stand behind someone else's stupidity... Fine, defend the people that are absent whenever they feel the need... then once you save their job.... make sure they understand what is expected of them and don't allow them to do it over and over and over and over....

Here is the problem... as I see it.... Once someone 'gets away with something' you never get them to go 'back'... right? We can all agree on that...
once the company takes it.. you never get it back...
once the absenteeism is 'defended' it will happen again and again and again...
give an inch - take a mile...

and the people that 'allow' that to happen are the peers... the ones that 'defend' the stupidity and never 'correct the behavior' Seriously - we owe it to our peers to call them on their issues... not coddle them and make it 'all better'.

Just my one single unsolicited opinion
I would suspect you could not come up with a single incidence of the scenario you speak, "Time and again" sounds like the last conference call rhetoric to me. I can but it was one man in 12 years and 5 different Terminals. And the company did "NOT" want to fix it, he was just to damn special.

Thats that one guy, in Dallas almost 80% of us are over 50 and wont be able to retire no time soon and with this long standing war with management here they got over 65% if us working across the weekend, you put in over 20 25 years you deserve time off without. The threat of being fired for it, you get the flu in January thats 3 or 4 sick days there, get gout or ill in may thats the rest of it and some vacation, now u start missing family reunions, kids and grandkids games recitals and activities, cant go to church, rest of family take annual vacation but you cant go because in August u only got 3 vacation days left because you dared to get sick in march and took 3 days off in may to be with your wife, and many many other instances like this so now in December heaven forbids you or your wife or mother gets real sick fir whatever reason, now they fire you until committee, what a thanks for us saving their jobs, im sure they earning a lot of votes for the next time, they starting to lose mine

In Dallas do you only get 5 sick days? and 6 vacation days?? Just wondering cause your story blows thru 5 sick days and a couple vacation days and then you get fired.. what happened to the other 5 vacation days and 2 personal holidays??

And really - if you have an ILL family member there is FMLA - fill out the paperwork...

BTW - just in case no one ever told you this.. LIFE SUCKS!! and it takes lots and lots of work to make it thru... everyone has a hard-luck story... most pull themselves up by their bootstraps and move along...

I know that life is challenging and I know that there are a lot of "wants" in life... I also know that we can't have everything we 'want'... BTW - does anyone here reading this- have any REAL doom and gloom stories about how "horrible" this policy is? Been living with it for a few years now and had 2 "tragedies" and yet no pink-slip... only needed to file FMLA papers once....for 3 months....