ODFL | Accident

JIM BOB

06/47-08/20
Rest In Peace
Credits
In O.D.'s world what is the difference between a preventable and a non preventable ? Sounds like a simple question.

Anytime your moving and your involved in an accident.
You are a CDL holder which makes you a professional driver.
Even if someone else is totally the fault of the beginning of any accident,and you as the professional didn't make every effort to avoid being involved you to will share the blame,and it will be ruled preventable.

Now when the investigation is complete,and its ruled you did everything you could to not be involved,all of the blame will rest on the one who caused it.
But this is a very rare case.
If you are parked some place out of harms way with the motor off,and someone hits you thats a non-preventable.
But if your in anyway empeading the flow of traffic,on the side of a roadway,commercial driveway,or parking lot,then this is a preventable accident.

Heres what is my qualifications for my post statements.
I'm well into my 44th year as a LTL city driver,and also a certified UPS Freight safety trainer.
I'm not a cop,but for all of my experience I believe I'm right with this post reply to your question.

I don't know about Old Dominions policies,but this is the general rule regarding professional drivers.

im not really sure but when you fill out the accident report and they send it to the safety commity and they usaully determine if it was preventable or not.

I would think a non preventable would be a accident that could not have been avoided. Such as Rear end collisions, hitting animals, certain storm conditions so on. Of course a preventable is self explanatory. I think that is basically how OD does it

Anytime your moving and your involved in an accident.
You are a CDL holder which makes you a professional driver.
Even if someone else is totally the fault of the beginning of any accident,and you as the professional didn't make every effort to avoid being involved you to will share the blame,and it will be ruled preventable.

Now when the investigation is complete,and its ruled you did everything you could to not be involved,all of the blame will rest on the one who caused it.
But this is a very rare case.
If you are parked some place out of harms way with the motor off,and someone hits you thats a non-preventable.
But if your in anyway empeading the flow of traffic,on the side of a roadway,commercial driveway,or parking lot,then this is a preventable accident.

Heres what is my qualifications for my post statements.
I'm well into my 44th year as a LTL city driver,and also a certified UPS Freight safety trainer.
I'm not a cop,but for all of my experience I believe I'm right with this post reply to your question.

I don't know about Old Dominions policies,but this is the general rule regarding professional drivers.

Unfortunately I hate to say you're wrong.

It's all a matter of circumstance. I personally have been moving and involved in a wreck and it was deemed non-preventable not my fault and didn't effect my safety bonus. Even know a driver that hit a car in the back and wasn't charged witha preventable accident. On the other hand I know a driver that broke down on a ramp and the mirrors were knocked off by another truck and he was charged with a preventable accident because he was at the truck stop getting help but didn't put his triangles out.

Like everything I wrote in my post to this thread.
Its all the general rules on being a professional CDL holder.
Its always up to the investingating parties who they deam as the fault of the accident that we are involved in.

When all of the investgations are done,and the accident reports filed,we can either get a pass,or share the blame.

I had one where I entered a signal light controled intersection.
I had a fresh green light,but an ambulance was coming into the intersection to my right on the red light,with its lights flashing,and siren,and intermiten horn blowing.
Well I had to give up my right of way,to stop for the emergency vehicle.
I had a joung kid who only had his drivers license for a few months slam into my ICC bumper on my trailer.
He was tailgating me so close I never knew he was behind me.
His car was a total loss.
I felt a push,then,I saw some people in a gas station to my right throw up their hands over their faces.
I jumped out of my tractor,with my camera,and started taking pictures at every angle.
The police showed up,and told me to get out of the flow of traffic.
When he came to me for my side of the story,he said the kid said I cut him off,and he had witnesses.
I let him review the pictures I took from the back of my digital camera,and told him about the ambulance aprocing the intersection.
He told me some of the kids witneses said something about the ambulance.
After he did his report it was ruled a no-fault,or non-preventable for me.
Without my camera I'd of been charged with that accident.
So there you go every case may be different,but its totally up to the investgation how everything is going to go for us professionals.

I would think a non preventable would be a accident that could not have been avoided. Such as Rear end collisions, hitting animals, certain storm conditions so on. Of course a preventable is self explanatory. I think that is basically how OD does it

od considers hitting animals such as deer a preventable accident guess someone should tell the deer to get out of the road

od considers hitting animals such as deer a preventable accident guess someone should tell the deer to get out of the road

I have seen times where deer not only ran in front of a car but rammed it. Guy with a Jeep had a buck ram him and shredded his cloth top. All the deer lost was part of an antler.

Animals being hit by motor vehicles are concidered an act of God.
theres usually no way to avoid any animal running into the road.
Dogs,have to be reported,but cats aren't reportable animals.
So you can splater all the cats you want,and keep on trucking.
Live stock,bears,and deer,as well as for you southern drivers wild boars are also reportable animals.
These are ruled incidents,and not preventable accidents.

Now again I'm posting the general rules.
Maybe Old Dominion has a different policy?

But in general hitting animals are totally out of our control,and should be ruled an incident,not a preventable accident.

Not true. I hit a deer while on my way from the terminal to the hotel. It was written up as non-preventable and I was not charged.

when i ran team my co driver hit a deer and was wrote up as a preventable he was told he was suppose to watch for animals comming into the road this was three years ago