ODFL | ACLU Sues Old Dominion Freight Lines Over Firing Of Transgender Trucker (6/18/2008)

Old Dominion made the best move under the circimstances in my opinion. If that driver were to have stayed in the bunkroom and something else were to happen then they would have another kind of lawsuit regardless. Therefore as my personable opinion this person was out for something anyway. When you as an individual make sad and impressionable mistakes and then blame your faults on someone else then there there is no hope for said individual.

hey Larry,God creates things but humans change things,"HOPE & CHANGE -oh boy" and CK i can agree with what you say but with judges no longer ruling according to law,but how they think it should be interpreted,it probaby will not turn out the way it should.

I don't know about any of you, but this thread wound up on my email. I didn't request it, I received it through no action on my part. Therefore I believe I have the right to comment however I want. And I have a dilemma here. Some of you say that God does not make mistakes.
Perchance thy Knight of this Realm may explain the Platypus??
But I have always been taught and do believe he created everything. So which is it, does he create everything or not? And if so, does that not include this person?

P.S. I do think he creates so-called mistakes. Some of you are perfect examples.

Hey, I resemble that remark!!!!:biglaugh::hysterical:

Be careful as you're proceeding to stumble into the sarcasm swamp.

I really don't know if ODFL was right or wrong for firing Kaylee Seals. What scares me is what some of you are posting about her. Seems to me some of you are more screwed up then you claim she is.

No more religious opinions,take them,your feeling about the ACLU,and any sexual insinuations about the former employee to another forum.......this is about a legal matter.....no, I'm not an atheist.I will continue to delete off topic posts.

Aclu

:hide: Well, it all depends on how Old Dominion handled that firing. You don't need a reason for terminating someone as long as it's not on Age, Sexual Orientation, Race, or any type of discrimination..

OD may have OD'd on this one. Depending on how they handled it..

I have to comment after reading every post. Barring strong conservative morals, this person has a right to earn a living NO matter what. If there was a problem with this person sleeping in the bunkhouse put her in the motel or better yet let her drive a sleeper tractor. Needless to say P&D or road driver although I do not agree with her decision if she can do the job and excel at it there is NOT A REASON TO TERMINATE

if this person was transgendering to a she and had made the name change to a she name and have ODFL the name change and if they accepted the name change and she had a medical recommendation with a clinical diagnosis and if the local management was aware of it then the local managment holds the blank check for this poor- soon to be rich soul is going to receive. ODFL has too many ignorant people in charge. Just because you where a tie doesnt make you a man. I guess we'll see her on Oprah . . . . and GOOD for her! Just because you where a tie or a belt doesn't make you a man. Real men make good decisions for their companies. Not for their own egos.

the above says it all,if he/she had communication with mgmt and all was done as recommended or as described above the case is a slam dunk,but i have a feeling most of the above was not done.

I have to comment after reading every post. Barring strong conservative morals, this person has a right to earn a living NO matter what. If there was a problem with this person sleeping in the bunkhouse put her in the motel or better yet let her drive a sleeper tractor. Needless to say P&D or road driver although I do not agree with her decision if she can do the job and excel at it there is NOT A REASON TO TERMINATE

I agree with you if she or he was doing the job with no problems.Which is what i read in the article she should of never lost her job. hopefully they can look into why they make any driver stay in bunk houses and not motels! nobody should have to stay in bunk houses. And the ACLU should look into why those drivers don't get delay pay or fueling time or breakdown time and how ODFL gets away not paying OT to the city drivers after forty hours.

I agree with you if she or he was doing the job with no problems.Which is what i read in the article she should of never lost her job. hopefully they can look into why they make any driver stay in bunk houses and not motels! nobody should have to stay in bunk houses. And the ACLU should look into why those drivers don't get delay pay or fueling time or breakdown time and how ODFL gets away not paying OT to the city drivers after forty hours.

I agree 100%. This is a bad corporate decision, period. If this is an example of how OD employees are treated, then why not investigate further, as to other labor violations, that may, or may not exist within the corporate structure. If the house is dirty, don't just clean the closet (pun intended) let's spit shine every floor. Teamster Elvis out......

I agree 100%. This is a bad corporate decision, period. If this is an example of how OD employees are treated, then why not investigate further, as to other labor violations, that may, or may not exist within the corporate structure. If the house is dirty, don't just clean the closet (pun intended) let's spit shine every floor. Teamster Elvis out......
I hate to say this but if she worked for an organized company she would have been protected. But that's debate for another forum I can't stand the American Criminal Liberties Union but inthis case I hope they bring national attention.

i am not defending either side but please remember this is a story in a newspaper.all the facts are not present and it looks like the story is told only by one side,so blame cannot be determined just by this story.i will not even go into media bias.

I hate to say this but if she worked for an organized company she would have been protected. But that's debate for another forum I can't stand the American Criminal Liberties Union but inthis case I hope they bring national attention.

I couldn't agree more with this post, every word of it.

Wow, there actually are people on this forum who can separate their own morals from the laws of the land.

You people give me hope for the future.

You really do.:1036316054:

i am not defending either side but please remember this is a story in a newspaper.all the facts are not present and it looks like the story is told only by one side,so blame cannot be determined just by this story.i will not even go into media bias.

It's great when people, usually conservatives, throw around that phrase, "media bias," as if all news people (except Fox News/Murdoch associates) are biased and report everything with a supposed "liberal" slant.

If you've never had a reporting job (as I have) and you've never studied journalism for four to eight years of your life in a university while working at all hours to pay your way through school in pursuit of that vaunted journalism degree that's going to earn you a whopping $25,000 a year for about the next ten years after graduating, you clearly don't have your facts straight.

Interview sources can engage in acts of chicanery and collusion (it's happened to me), making your story indeed come out biased, and you'll only find out after the fact-- well after the story is newsworthy, and well after your editor will allow you to print a follow-up to correct the inaccuracies. If you've never stared down a news deadline everyday of your life, working your sources and playing phone tag while being expected to hit the streets and find the news everyday, don't you dare hint holier-than-thou tendencies about "liberal media bias" toward this dogged reporter and the thousands of others who are underpaid and under-appreciated for bringing you all the news you love to rip down as "liberal-biased." If this story was told from a "one-sided" perspective, believe me, it can happen-- usually when the "other side" refuses to talk to you, no matter how many times you call them and ask them to respond to the comments from your interview source. Again, ask me how I know. I've been there, done that.

With all that said, "at will" employment gives employers a free pass to fire pretty much anybody for any or no reason. Except, that is, when that status is protected by law. "Gender" is one of those statuses, and in this case, it appears ODFL fired the employee on a basis of gender. Not simply a matter of the employee being female/male/both(?), but because they didn't like the fact that the person made a choice to be something different than they wanted him/her to be. It would be like the employee deciding he wanted to claim African-American lineage because he was adopted by an African-American family, but his skin was white as snow. So he'd fill out the necessary paperwork to show such status, and once the change took effect, the company would fire him. Now, surely you'd call that racial discrimination.