ODFL | ACLU Sues Old Dominion Freight Lines Over Firing Of Transgender Trucker (6/18/2008)

This must have been the local managements decision. I am aware of at least one post op employee at corporate. He started working before the operation and had it completed from what I hear about 6 months ago. Now she is still working, and not a big surprise do not think it has affected the quality of work.

Also I am positive that OD as a whole does not discriminate due to sexual preference. If it turns out that the local management fired this person due to the reasons she claims, then they are probably going to be cut. This kind of accusation can spell the end of a career even if it is unsupported unfortunately.

Not saying OD is perfect at all, but on this front I haven't seen discrimination of this type personally.

Just be aware Ivan that others from corporate read the boards.i know you know that but though i would say it.
posted somewhere else on the boards ACLU American Criminal Liberties Union

Not that it's any of my business but did the 'woman' hire on as a woman, put down that that 'she' was a woman and signed all of the applications as a woman and then told later that she was transgendering? That would constitute lying on an application and could result in firing. Or did she tell the person that hired her/him that she was a he before being hired?

I've heard of many being fired for false information on their applications. Just wondering if there's been any new information from what I've read so far.

Not that it's any of my business but did the 'woman' hire on as a woman, put down that that 'she' was a woman and signed all of the applications as a woman and then told later that she was transgendering? That would constitute lying on an application and could result in firing. Or did she tell the person that hired her/him that she was a he before being hired?

I've heard of many being fired for false information on their applications. Just wondering if there's been any new information from what I've read so far.

This is just one side of the story.There is always two sides.When he came to work at OD he had a wife and mabe a kid.Looked dressed and acted like a 21 year old man.

I've just been reading thru some of the comments here on the thread subject...
easttnhillbilly, you're right in one aspect about Tennessee... Tennessee is a right to work state and you can be discharged for "just cause" but it has to be job and or performance related... The exception is federal law which supercedes state law and protects EVERYONE from discrimination based on sex, race, creed, religion, national origin, etc... Civil Rights Act of 1964...

The person in question did file an EEOC complaint against ODFL. The EEOC investigated and found for the complainant and stated that ODFL was in violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act in regard to sex and sex orientation discrimination. I believe that they (EEOC) are correct in this matter. The EEOC is only a compliance and investigative agency that fields civil rights violation claims in the workplace. They have no enforcement powers. They only investigate complaints and make recommendations for remediation and/or relief. The complainant was more than likely advised (not necessarily by EEOC) to procure the services of the ACLU in this matter because it is a civil rights case (that's what they specialize in) and the fact that this case profile is unique in nature...

One thing that has to be kept in mind here: You cannot let emotion and personal moral conviction blur the vision of the judiciary system. The facts have to be presented and heard in a sterile manner. That's the only way that the system can work impartially especially in civil rights cases such as this one...

Yellow has a transgender driver (one that I'm aware of) that works in it's system. CF had one (maybe more). As vile and repulsive as the term "transgender" may be to some or many, the cold, hard fact of the matter is that they are citizens of this US of A and are protected by the same laws that we are protected by and that we are all bound by...

Oh, and for the record... Personally, I do not condone sexual reassignment. But by law, I have to respect one's right and decision to do this if that is what they wish...

Good day there driver were is this going on.Just wondering it sounds like a lot of drama going on.