Active brake assist issues...

Discussion in 'Holland' started by TonyTheTiger, Oct 20, 2017.

1. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Active Member

correct me if I’m wrong, but I didn’t think the collision mitigation system was supposed to lock down the brakes when your foot is on the throttle? I’ve been in an 18 series since Monday and it’s done it to me 3 times now when going under an overhead sign on the interstate, and every time my right foot was on the go pedal to the floor.

2. jrz13

jrz13 Member

YES! I'm not crazy.... it happens to me under overpasses/signs at certain speeds and if I'm going around a bend that has a barrier wall at a certain speed it reads it as an object also. Also columns that hold up overpasses if they're on a slight turn. It scares the living sh outta me

3. White

White Well-Known Member

Yet we're supposedly another day closer to autonomous trucks

4. TonyTheTiger

I’ve driven 17s where they’ll start beeping and carrying on and brake while the cruise is set, but they’ve never done it with my foot on the throttle. Mine is out to get me it seems like. I can’t wait until it does it to me in the rain or in snow

5. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY Part time Coop Dispatch driver

Where you really have to watch is when someone passes you, then cuts right in front of you after just getting by you. Will scare the crap out of you.

6. TonyTheTiger

Hate when they do that. I’m just waiting for them to slam on brakes in front of me.

7. the5tolls

the5tolls I hope we make it to 19....got my NO ready

If your foot is on the throttle I thought you could turn the cruise control completely off and then it would not do that? Wait till it does that this winter when the road is slippery.....you might use foul language!

wongway and Songremainsthesame like this.
  8. Northern Flash

Northern Flash Piss on our Flag, get a boycott against you.

I had the breaks slam on when I passed a broken down vehicle that was sitting along side the highway and must have been too close to the white line, and the sensors picked it up.
    I about soiled myself.

Songremainsthesame likes this.
  9. troubleman84

troubleman84 Well-Known Member

My 16 does without cruise on gotta keep safe distance when you jump in left lane on I-40 toll road in gorge.

TonyTheTiger likes this.
  10. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY Part time Coop Dispatch driver

I think it is best to just not use the cruise in heavy traffic, then you will not get that auto braking stuff.

hilo342 likes this.
  11. Frootloop

Frootloop Well-Known Member

Lmao I paid a nice toll through there once. Win some, lose some

troubleman84 likes this.
  12. TonyTheTiger

Came through there all but wide open earlier this evening and never caught anyone. I need to buy a lottery ticket.

troubleman84 and Frootloop like this.
  13. TonyTheTiger

I don’t use the cruise period in these. My foot was to the floor on the accelerator and it still grabbed brakes.

troubleman84 likes this.
  14. Songremainsthesame

Songremainsthesame Well-Known Member

Yeah it's kinda scary when it tries to put you through the windshield... we had them at Con-job and they did it all the time... the new ones at OD are a little better but not by much. Word on the street is they're pulling the fuse on them come winter.

15. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

I have been wondering how many cameras and sensors they will need on these things to have them back into some of the docks we get into.

White likes this.
  16. Snaponfan1

Snaponfan1 snaponfan1

Do you know what type of system you have? Meritor or Bendix? in the newest Bendix Radar is an FLR21, it may also have a FLD-20 camera which looks like a big half of a pear on the windshield to read road sign speeds as well as act as a LDW. either way if your getting ACC faults while turning corners or going under bridges there is a good chance it is not aligned, Meritor can ony be aligned with Meritor software. new Bendix can be aligned using Drivers display(U.I)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  17. Snaponfan1

Snaponfan1 snaponfan1

to add: Bendix systems up to 2016 or so (FLR20) have to be aligned manually(tape measure, inclinometer) be a mech. and then has to be reset to zero in Bendix ACCOM software.

vongrimmenstein likes this.
  18. vongrimmenstein

vongrimmenstein Well-Known Member

Tom, I hope you stick around. Information like you just posted is needed by everyone here & @ other boards for this industry. Keep on keeping on. von.

troubleman84 likes this.
  19. Songremainsthesame

Songremainsthesame Well-Known Member

We have Meritor.

TonyTheTiger likes this.
  20. Snaponfan1

Snaponfan1 snaponfan1

a few things regarding Meritor. this year they have come up with an update to address "ghost braking". as well as upgrade the ESC capability's on some older software versions of On-Guard. and rid the systems of typical "phantom" fault codes that constantly come up with (Eaton) Automated Transmissions. the CMS(collision mitigation sys) part will give a "haptic"(short brake pulse) when it "sees" that you are in danger of collision. all the Meritor and Bendix info(ABS. Radar, Air Sys. etc.) is available on their respective websites, good info, and if you have trouble with the systems its best to give a shop as much info as you can. intermittent shorts, grounds, opens, data link issues are difficult to diagnose, yet are often the cause. thanks for your time.

Songremainsthesame likes this.