TForce | 'Ad Hoc' Question

upsf-driver

TB Lurker
Credits
It seems to me that this was laid to rest a while ago. Our new road bids include them. Wasn't that resolved already? Our business agent claims that the Teamsters and the company agreed that they were allowed to use this to extend the 10% guarantee.

I'd like to hear what the details of that deal are. Thanks in advance.

It seems to me that this was laid to rest a while ago. Our new road bids include them. Wasn't that resolved already? Our business agent claims that the Teamsters and the company agreed that they were allowed to use this to extend the 10% guarantee.

I'd like to hear what the details of that deal are. Thanks in advance.

First thing is Ad hoc is work "ad hoc work" not a classifaction not a bid not anything except a type of work.

Wrong, real simple if the 90% are not getting there garrentee work file for the 90 10 gar.

Theres no extending 10%

If you have 40 on the list 4 are in the 10% not 5 6 7 or whatever there making up.

I am sick of these tm's and ba's telling lies to all of you.

But the sad part is alot of you are really beliving what they say.

You people better start learning how to protect yourselves because your fellow stewarts are going to cost you your job!!!!!!!!!!!

The term is not 'ad/hoc' it is unscheduled. The company can have unscheduled full time employees with no posted schedule, to handle extra and ad hoc work. Basically these employees can never have any posted start times and are to handle extra work only. Basically it is a 'shape' position.

First thing is Ad hoc is work "ad hoc work" not a classifaction not a bid not anything except a type of work.

Wrong, real simple if the 90% are not getting there garrentee work file for the 90 10 gar.

Theres no extending 10%

If you have 40 on the list 4 are in the 10% not 5 6 7 or whatever there making up.

I am sick of these tm's and ba's telling lies to all of you.

But the sad part is alot of you are really beliving what they say.

You people better start learning how to protect yourselves because your fellow stewarts are going to cost you your job!!!!!!!!!!!

How long do you think a guy is going to stay as an unscheduled employee. Being a "shaper" these guys basically come in when told. How can the company function full time with such a position. Lets say the guy doesn't call or doesn't get the call. The freight sits and the manager is screwed. How about all the grievances you can file if the unscheduled works ahead of any bid person. They can't use them like bid employees. Just file, file ,file.

And unfortunately they are not guarenteed, another issue to be addressed next contract!

Be careful with this one . 90% are guaranteed no matter what.If you have 100 full time dock workers 90 of these are guaranteed period end of sentence I don't care what they call these POSITIONS the people are whats guaranteed .That was A national decision last year in New Orleans I was there and heard Ken H. read it .

Be careful with this one . 90% are guaranteed no matter what.If you have 100 full time dock workers 90 of these are guaranteed period end of sentence I don't care what they call these POSITIONS the people are whats guaranteed .That was A national decision last year in New Orleans I was there and heard Ken H. read it .
90% of full time employees holding bid jobs will be guaranteed a minimum of eight hours pay per day when put to work. Ad hoc and extra board unfortunatly aren't bids.

90% of full time employees holding bid jobs will be guaranteed a minimum of eight hours pay per day when put to work. Ad hoc and extra board unfortunately aren't bids.
The wording needs changed then because You have to bid onto the extra board.

Our bid sheets for the new bids have NG (Non Guaranteed) beside the extra board positions.
I understand that...possibly for the 40 hour guarantee.... but they shouldn't be able to call you in on a 100 mile dispatch and send you home without being held to the 8 hour guarantee.

This topic (ad-hoc) is getting real old!

Why?

Because, people refuse to believe what is being communicated to them!

It's as simple as this - people:

Erase the old understandings...

People - Not Starts (Bids) - are what are Guaranteed!

And that includes: Bid's that say < NG > beside them, XTRA Boards etc.

Believe It!

Enforce It - as such...

Or suffer the consequences - needlessly! :duh:

90% of full time employees holding bid jobs will be guaranteed a minimum of eight hours pay per day when put to work. Ad hoc and extra board unfortunatly aren't bids.

At some terminals - they are!

90% is 90%!

They can call these starts whatever they want!

The formula still applies!

The wording needs changed then because You have to bid onto the extra board.

Our bid sheets for the new bids have NG (Non Guaranteed) beside the extra board positions.

I understand that...possibly for the 40 hour guarantee.... but they shouldn't be able to call you in on a 100 mile dispatch and send you home without being held to the 8 hour guarantee.

People that are being affected by this - need to speak up!

Road Drivers are no different then City...

The eight (8) hour guarantee still applies and needs to be enforced accordingly!

If all Your driving time is calculated and paid by the hour...

Then enforcing the eight (8) hour guarantee is simple!

If Your sent home prior to completing eight (8) hours worth of work...

Then You need to tell the supervisor - sending You home - that You are guaranteed eight (8) and ask them what they want to do...

Either credit You the full eight (8) or remain on the clock until You've completed the guarantee...

If part of Your mileage is paid - by the mile...

Then You need to make a case for the Mileage Equivalent to the Eight Hour Guarantee...

see this example:

Road drivers and Overtime - post #7

I dont care what they call it AD -HOC or whatever 90% of FULL TIME EMPLOYEES ARE guaranteed PERIOD. Again this was A national ruling made in N.O. last year .At my barn it is enforced this way .The employees are guaranteed not the jobs .Think about what you are saying are you giving the company the option to make all jobs ad -hoc then I guess no one is guaranteed .Right? And extra board is MOST definatley A bid job.

I dont care what they call it AD -HOC or whatever 90% of FULL TIME EMPLOYEES ARE guaranteed PERIOD. Again this was A national ruling made in N.O. last year .At my barn it is enforced this way .The employees are guaranteed not the jobs .Think about what you are saying are you giving the company the option to make all jobs ad -hoc then I guess no one is guaranteed .Right? And extra board is MOST definatley A bid job.
I'll tell you one thing I try and give the company NO options, what I did was state word for word what THE CONTRACT states. If it were up to me 100% would be guaranteed!

If you could please post a copy of the ruling in New Orleans so we could all see the new wording in the contract.

The unscheduled (ad hoc) is a clause that allows the company to add temps or shapers to the full time. There is no way that the company can designate anyone as an unscheduled who is scheduled as of now, this would be subterfuge to avoid the guarantee. Extra work or ad/hoc work either dries up or becomes regular work. Therefor the unscheduled will either be a bid job or not work at all. It is what UPS does during peak season at Christmas time. They add thousands of new employees to handle the Christmas overload. Then they are let go in January.

The unscheduled (ad hoc) is a clause that allows the company to add temps or shapers to the full time. There is no way that the company can designate anyone as an unscheduled who is scheduled as of now, this would be subterfuge to avoid the guarantee. Extra work or ad/hoc work either dries up or becomes regular work. Therefor the unscheduled will either be a bid job or not work at all. It is what UPS does during peak season at Christmas time. They add thousands of new employees to handle the Christmas overload. Then they are let go in January.
Well said Steward.:shift:

What if your business agent sides with the company? filing a grievance does nothing because he will not go against what he has just agreed to. I didn't believe that there was an agreement. I just wanted to make sure. And our steward won't go over his head either. Generally, he does whatever the B.A. tells him, where I think it should be the other way around. I'm running for steward next time around. I'm tired of the games.

What if your business agent sides with the company? filing a grievance does nothing because he will not go against what he has just agreed to. I didn't believe that there was an agreement. I just wanted to make sure. And our steward won't go over his head either. Generally, he does whatever the B.A. tells him, where I think it should be the other way around. I'm running for steward next time around. I'm tired of the games.

Good luck! You will find that being a Steward is a :shit:ty assignment.