TForce | 'Ad Hoc' Question

?

I also want more on this. Could me back pay for ten months. Ad Hoc is not a classification. Only Local, Dock, Jockey, Road!!!!! Am I right?

This matter is going nowhere at our terminal. The 'ad-hoc', according to the TM can be used anywhere they want. If they are not pre-scheduled to cover a scheduled bid run they are told to come in at 4:00 to work outbound and then drive if necessary. The problem is that the steward is the 'ad-hoc' driver and he likes this arrangement because he gets to work every day. Otherwise he wouldn't be. I also inquired about possibly coming in early to work the dock myself and they said that I couldn't. I asked if any other road drivers were on the dock and they said that one was. I then asked why that 'extra' work wasn't posted or why wasn't I offered that work. I was then told that the 'ad-hoc' driver was on a separate board and that I had a start time and they did not have to bring me in early.

I raised all the points to my steward about the violation of seniority and miss-use of the 'ad-hoc' clause and he told me file on it with a real cocky look on his face. How much confidence do you think I have in that one going anywhere? They have three guys out of 14 tagged as not being guaranteed, although the outbound supervisor let the cat out of the bag when he told a couple of people that the steward was guaranteed eight. What? He's the bottom guy.

We're working to remove our steward and nearly have enough signatures on the petition. To us, he's clearly made a side deal with the company to allow himself the ability to work every day. We had drivers (when he was laid off) who were in his bottom spot who were told that they could not work the dock and they were only working one or two days a week. Now that he got called back, lo and behold, a deal was struck with the company that allows the bottom road driver the opportunity to work the dock when no road work is available. When the other drivers, who weren't working, asked the steward about what they could do, he told them that it was an operational decision and that we could not file on it. Meanwhile, casuals were working every day with some accumulating overtime.

Here's the kicker on the steward. He told one of our guys that, "Just because we went union doesn't mean that we still don't have to kiss ***. Those that work the hardest are going to get the most work." That's a pretty good system from where he's sitting. But why do we even have a seniority list if that's how it's going to be?

Is anything like going on at any other terminals?

And by the way, I will be filing on the fact that extra work is being offered to senior drivers before it is being given to a junior man. That, to me is an obvious one. I will also file on the use of the 'ad-hoc' since the steward isn't interested in working on this. His answer to me was that other terminals are using the 'ad-hoc' to expand the 10%. I asked him if that meant that we should just lay down and take it like the rest of them. I will present this to the TM myself and will show up at the hearing to argue it. Not sure if that's possible, but I will try it.

The worse part of all of this is that I'm afraid that I'm beginning to be labeled as a 'trouble maker' and I wonder what sort of representation I will get in the event that I might need it some day. He's already started a campaign against me with my co-workers and the union hall that "I'm just causing trouble for him because I have something personal against him due to his handling of some grievances in the past."

I post this long winded story to all of you because I know that half the guys on my board come here and I'm hoping that some of you might post whether or not these concerns are legitimate or does it sound like I am on some personal witch-hunt. I have to push him to act on many things and I know he doesn't like it. Here is another classic one. When I asked him about senior men to him (junior to me) who are getting screwed out of work in his favor, his answer to me is that "Why is it any concern to you? That's between me, him and the company." I told him that I'm a dues paying member of the union and that anything that affects seniority and who is given what work is the general business of the board as a whole.

I'm done. Thanks for reading this and your comments are appreciated.

One more thing. I would love to receive a copy of the decision that grants the 90% guarantee to all full-time employees regardless of what they call them. I think others have asked for it as well.

This matter is going nowhere at our terminal. The 'ad-hoc', according to the TM can be used anywhere they want. If they are not pre-scheduled to cover a scheduled bid run they are told to come in at 4:00 to work outbound and then drive if necessary. The problem is that the steward is the 'ad-hoc' driver and he likes this arrangement because he gets to work every day. Otherwise he wouldn't be. I also inquired about possibly coming in early to work the dock myself and they said that I couldn't. I asked if any other road drivers were on the dock and they said that one was. I then asked why that 'extra' work wasn't posted or why wasn't I offered that work. I was then told that the 'ad-hoc' driver was on a separate board and that I had a start time and they did not have to bring me in early.

I raised all the points to my steward about the violation of seniority and miss-use of the 'ad-hoc' clause and he told me file on it with a real cocky look on his face. How much confidence do you think I have in that one going anywhere? They have three guys out of 14 tagged as not being guaranteed, although the outbound supervisor let the cat out of the bag when he told a couple of people that the steward was guaranteed eight. What? He's the bottom guy.

We're working to remove our steward and nearly have enough signatures on the petition. To us, he's clearly made a side deal with the company to allow himself the ability to work every day. We had drivers (when he was laid off) who were in his bottom spot who were told that they could not work the dock and they were only working one or two days a week. Now that he got called back, lo and behold, a deal was struck with the company that allows the bottom road driver the opportunity to work the dock when no road work is available. When the other drivers, who weren't working, asked the steward about what they could do, he told them that it was an operational decision and that we could not file on it. Meanwhile, casuals were working every day with some accumulating overtime.

Here's the kicker on the steward. He told one of our guys that, "Just because we went union doesn't mean that we still don't have to kiss ***. Those that work the hardest are going to get the most work." That's a pretty good system from where he's sitting. But why do we even have a seniority list if that's how it's going to be?

Is anything like going on at any other terminals?

And by the way, I will be filing on the fact that extra work is being offered to senior drivers before it is being given to a junior man. That, to me is an obvious one. I will also file on the use of the 'ad-hoc' since the steward isn't interested in working on this. His answer to me was that other terminals are using the 'ad-hoc' to expand the 10%. I asked him if that meant that we should just lay down and take it like the rest of them. I will present this to the TM myself and will show up at the hearing to argue it. Not sure if that's possible, but I will try it.

The worse part of all of this is that I'm afraid that I'm beginning to be labeled as a 'trouble maker' and I wonder what sort of representation I will get in the event that I might need it some day. He's already started a campaign against me with my co-workers and the union hall that "I'm just causing trouble for him because I have something personal against him due to his handling of some grievances in the past."

I post this long winded story to all of you because I know that half the guys on my board come here and I'm hoping that some of you might post whether or not these concerns are legitimate or does it sound like I am on some personal witch-hunt. I have to push him to act on many things and I know he doesn't like it. Here is another classic one. When I asked him about senior men to him (junior to me) who are getting screwed out of work in his favor, his answer to me is that "Why is it any concern to you? That's between me, him and the company." I told him that I'm a dues paying member of the union and that anything that affects seniority and who is given what work is the general business of the board as a whole.

I'm done. Thanks for reading this and your comments are appreciated.

If you are getting no where with your Steward or business agent, then call the local and ask to talk to the president of the local. If you get no help there, call the International in D.C. If what you say about your Steward is true, then this person should be brought to account for his corruption.

If you are afraid to be labeled a trouble maker, then you should not belong to the union in the first place. You have rights! and asserting those rights, will sometimes cause trouble.

This matter is going nowhere at our terminal...

Are You able to speak openly with Your BA - about these concerns?

Have You tried e-mailing him or her?

ok i have an n/g route. i have a start time every day and the same city route every day.i have more time than some of the guys with the gaurantee route. so if things get slow can the company leave me sit at home and let a guy with less senority run my route? and what is odd is that the 2 n/g routes run all the time but we have other routes that have a gaurantee that are cut all the time. thanks for your thoughts

ok i have an n/g route. i have a start time every day and the same city route every day.i have more time than some of the guys with the gaurantee route. so if things get slow can the company leave me sit at home and let a guy with less senority run my route? and what is odd is that the 2 n/g routes run all the time but we have other routes that have a gaurantee that are cut all the time. thanks for your thoughts

It is not the route or job that is guaranteed, it is the employee. If you have 15 full timers in local cartage 14 are guaranteed. If you have 28 full timers, 26 are guaranteed.

Heres one for ya..
We have a adhock p&d Driver that sits at home while a dockworker with cdl works the city getting 10 to 12 hours a day...
The Steward says this is ok because the dockworker has more company time..
Is this right?
Karen

Heres one for ya..
We have a adhock p&d Driver that sits at home while a dockworker with cdl works the city getting 10 to 12 hours a day...
The Steward says this is ok because the dockworker has more company time..
Is this right?
Karen

As it should be...

Yes! :1036316054:

It is not the route or job that is guaranteed, it is the employee. If you have 15 full timers in local cartage 14 are guaranteed. If you have 28 full timers, 26 are guaranteed.

This is very true. You hit the nail on the head. Guaranteed should always get their 40 hours even if they only work 15. The way things are now people need to learn to really live within their means. UPS hates paying overtime.
I run line but if I worked local p&d I would laugh all the way to the bank if they worked me 20 hours or so and had to pay me for 40.

If that is the case...

I may have to rescind My answer (above)

Is the dock hand with CDL - in a Dock Only Bid?

No...

Only if the City Driver is Laid-off...

NIK
The dockworker with cdl works city(classed as dock with cdl)while the adhock p&d driver sits..
Karen

NIK
The dockworker with cdl works city(classed as dock with cdl)while the adhock p&d driver sits..
Karen

Which < list > is this particular individual on?

You specified three (3) different...

Most have two (2) with City Cartage and Dock listed together...

With the Dock Only Bids being Red Circled employee's (those without CDL's)

Which < list > is this particular individual on?

You specified three (3) different...

Most have two (2) with City Cartage and Dock listed together...

With the Dock Only Bids being Red Circled employee's (those without CDL's)

There should not be any &quot;Dock&quot; or &quot;city&quot; boards. All are Local Cartage. period. You have to grieve the bids.

We have three boards,#1 dockworker,#2 P&D,#3 Road.
Each have individual seniority list..
This is why I am wondering if the dockworker with cdl can trump the adhock p&d driver?
Seems like another Overnite grey area....lol
Karen