FedEx Freight | advantages/disadvantages of city and road positions

chieftain

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey all, can anyone break down the major differences between city and road? Job description, anecdotes, payscale, etc. Also, if you accept one is it hard to transfer to the other if the opportunity arises like it was in 710 back in the day? Helps to have any inside info before going to hear an interviewer's propaganda. Thanks.

Hey all, can anyone break down the major differences between city and road? Job description, anecdotes, payscale, etc. Also, if you accept one is it hard to transfer to the other if the opportunity arises like it was in 710 back in the day? Helps to have any inside info before going to hear an interviewer's propaganda. Thanks.

I take it you are from the Chicago land area?

I don't work for FedEx, but all these freight co's are the same. Linehaul you go from point A to point B, at FedEx you work the dock for a while the go back to point A. Dock is on the clock, driving is mileage pay.

P&D is point A to B, C, D.......well you get the point. It's paid by the hour, so you've got management wanting you to acount for any delays etc. If you don't know your area well, it can be a really long day. It also helps to be more of a people person in the city, helps ya shmooze customers to help ya out if you're late, need freight shuffled around on your trailer etc.

I've worked at a few carriers, and I've always prefered Linehaul myself. After almost 10 years in sales/customer service, I like not having to deal with people.

Pffft. what a gyp. They just filled the last position in Kankakee, which is in my area. Be damned if I'll go to Chicago Heights. Bummer. :-|

Yeah, about 50 miles south

I will tell you the Chicago terminals I am familiar with, starting out as a road driver, you will run to either CGT (Chicago heights) or CGX (Chicago summit) both hubs, and work the dock for 6+ hours and return to your terminal with city freight. As far as city goes, Chitownpeddler would be the one to ask. Im not from Chicago, but I do run into both hubs from time to time.

Pffft. what a gyp. They just filled the last position in Kankakee, which is in my area. Be damned if I'll go to Chicago Heights. Bummer. :-|

At least at the heights, you might get a little longer road run starting out as a road driver?

At least at the heights, you might get a little longer road run starting out as a road driver?

That is true. Something to be said also getting the foot in the door and slogging it out awhile. Would have to see with the commute factored in if its economical. If there's solid overtime it would be worth it. Do you know what kind of hours they average up in there?

I have heard the city operation at Chicago Heights isn't all that big. If they are like the rest of the centers in the Chicago area they limit your OT. We used to get 55 hours a week or so but now you're lucky to hit 45. The terminal manager in Kankakee used to be our Ops Manager at my barn. He's a good guy. You may be better off trying to get into the KKE center if you want a city run. The only benefit of taking a city job in CGT is it is a hub so if it is slow and they don't need you in the city for 8 hours you can work the dock to get your hours. I don't know much about the road side but like Rodedawg said if you are out of KKE you will more then likely just run to CGT or CGX and work the dock all night.

I have heard the city operation at Chicago Heights isn't all that big. If they are like the rest of the centers in the Chicago area they limit your OT. We used to get 55 hours a week or so but now you're lucky to hit 45. The terminal manager in Kankakee used to be our Ops Manager at my barn. He's a good guy. You may be better off trying to get into the KKE center if you want a city run. The only benefit of taking a city job in CGT is it is a hub so if it is slow and they don't need you in the city for 8 hours you can work the dock to get your hours. I don't know much about the road side but like Rodedawg said if you are out of KKE you will more then likely just run to CGT or CGX and work the dock all night.

yeah, kankakee was my plan. i called them yesterday to see if my app had come down from corporate and they informed me all positions were filled. major bummer. i can only hope it truly was filled and they werent just giving me a snowjob. my thinking now is that applying at the heights to get my foot in the door and try to transfer down to KKE at a later date might be wise. ANy more advice? Muchly appreciated Thanks.

yeah, kankakee was my plan. i called them yesterday to see if my app had come down from corporate and they informed me all positions were filled. major bummer. i can only hope it truly was filled and they werent just giving me a snowjob. my thinking now is that applying at the heights to get my foot in the door and try to transfer down to KKE at a later date might be wise. ANy more advice? Muchly appreciated Thanks.

Chieftain

If you can get your foot in the door at the heights, when a position comes open at KKE, you can transfer. They will post it on the board. If nobody is interested within the company, they will hire off of the street.