Akers Motor Lines

sw357

TB Lurker
Credits
worked for this great company for approx. 4 years, starting in 1968 out of charlotte nc. until buyout by pepsico in the early 70's. anyone else worked there? any info on akers or pictures of equipment would be goo. thanks

sorry jeff i do not, in all my moves in life, im sure they have been lost or misplaced. a lot of ex-akers drivers moved on to roadway express or yellow frt. i wasw layed off from akers, wen't to bowman trans., then to roadway, layed off every two weeks, got out of the trucking business in 1981. started in lawenforcement and retired in 2007. thanks for the reply, really enjoy your site. no matter what career you choose, if you ever drove a truck, it stays with you. god bless

thanks, if you ever dig up anything no matter how insignificant you think it is about the company, scan it and sent it to us...

Enjoy....

sw357, I've been around long enough to remember Akers. Those were the days. You got out around the right time. Early 80's is when the industry started it's long downhill slide to the cesspool it is today. If you're looking for pics of Akers trucks you might want to try hankstruckpictures.com.

thanks SuperCourse, i'll try that site, you're right, it was time too get out. good luck to all thats still trying to hang in.

Akers

worked for this great company for approx. 4 years, starting in 1968 out of charlotte nc. until buyout by pepsico in the early 70's. anyone else worked there? any info on akers or pictures of equipment would be goo. thanks

My Grandfather worked for them for many years. He followed them to NC from GA.
He was an African American that actually owned his truck. The called him Big Major, his real name was Junious Haywood.

i remember your grandfather. always laughing and a credit too the trucking industry. dressed to the 9"s and shine on his shoes. set a great example for me and other drivers.

I drove for Akers from 1960 to 1969; good Company. There will be an Akers Driver Reunion the first Friday in Oct. If you would like the details, please contact me (704)735-9622.

Akers

He was an African American that actually owned his truck. The called him Big Major, his real name was Junious Haywood.
I think any freight hauler that ran the east coast knew Major he was first to stop and give any one a helping hand
he and his brother in law rode together, John Akers right hand man

Akers

Any more info about Junious would be appreciated --
16105929184_81795f1977_b.jpg

Any more info about Junious would be appreciated --
16105929184_81795f1977_b.jpg
I knew Major, I didn't run the north end, on occasion I would see him and brother in law at Bill's Truck Stop in Lexington
or at Local 71, he had many friends that ran out of Charl. for Johnson Motor Lines, Hennis, Pilot,and Northeastern.
Like I said anyone running the East Coast in those days knew Major.

I rode in one when I was about 4 or 5 with my uncle Joe. He drove for an IGA grocery distributor.

I drove several (day cabs) leased to Big R,my dad had in his shop back in the early 50s, mostly bobtail.
These ran from Charl. to Akron O. before company owned trucks.
Ugly old dark green, before Roadway changed their colors.

I believe this is a 47 Autocar, even though the pic says it was taken in 1950 --
I remember at one time he had a round nose Diamond T, identical the ones Pilot Freight Carriers ran.
Not sure but I think his last, was an H63 Mack.