All automatics?

Discussion in 'Dayton' started by tread, Dec 20, 2018.

1. tread

tread Active Member

Does Dayton have manual tranny tractors?
    Or is the fleet all autos?

I am wondering what's the possibility of a manual truck for linehaul/transportation.

Thanks for any insight

2. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

Zero possibility of getting a manual as an assigned tractor, but we still have spares with 10 speeds in them. I think every truck from 2009 on is an automatic.

There are scenarios where a transportation driver might have to do a tractor swap at a bigger terminal with a garage and might get a manual transmission truck to use until the other one is fixed.

3. Lazer

Lazer WWG1WGA

Your best chance is take the oldest unit in your yard that is a auto-shift as your assigned unit, hope it is broke down often and your shop spare is a truck with a real mans trannny.

4. tread

tread Active Member

Thanks for the insight

5. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

Those days are about to be over. They are retiring them fast.

6. LTLIndentured

LTLIndentured Well-Known Member

Do your trucks have cameras?
    Do they have collision avoidance and do you get coaching sessions when you the alarms go off?

7. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

The brand new ones from '18 on have forward-facing cameras only with the Bendix Wingman Fusion system on them. I tested one for a week, and while it can be annoying initially, I got used to it and learned what you need to do to "please the truck."

They haven't determined a discipline deal yet, but it seems like they're only interested in extreme cases. Most alerts are thrown out. I think they're trying to establish a baseline of what is normal vs. what is reckless behavior that needs to be corrected.

One thing I like about Dayton's approach to the whole thing is that they highlight good driving behaviors on the video boards by playing videos of our drivers avoiding accidents. I think it's opening their eyes to what all we deal with on a daily basis. So far I haven't heard any stories of unreasonable discipline a la Saia or anything like that.

icuicp and LTLIndentured like this.
  8. LTLIndentured

Seems everyone is going to cameras and cab discos. I’ve driven our new KWs with cams and bendix wingman for a few weeks in the city. It is Dangerous!

If someone pulls out too close or takes too long to clear the road when turning then the computer senses an unmoving object and locks the brakes. How is this dangerous? In the kw when it happens the sudden braking unexpectedly causes the steering to lurch to the right. Imagine the potential dangers when that happens; least of which is a flat steer tire after the wheel hits a concrete curb on the shoulder.

The bells and whistles are distracting to me. Instead of watching traffic I’m constantly assaulted with an auditory barrage of warnings about things I already know or don’t need to know. Almost put a screwdriver through the ear level speaker on a day when I had a headache.

I hate to do it, but the union carriers are only ones not putting this garbage in their trucks so it’s forcing me to consider going over to the dark side. Maybe I’m just too old to adapt

icuicp, coondogg and tread like this.
  9. ltl1

ltl1 Active Member

Don't come to ABF we have the same junk in our new tractors. Your right that line buzzer is annoying, with no volume control button.

coondogg likes this.
  10. tread

tread Active Member

This totally holds me back from considering DF.
    I no longer wish to put up with this crap at FXF.
    Thanks for the info as it helps avoid wasting my time and DF's.

LTLIndentured and coondogg like this.
  11. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

Copy that. Good luck with your search.

12. ED FORCE ONE

ED FORCE ONE Active Member

Can we trust these systems in fog ?

Rollin likes this.
  13. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

They actually will pick up a car before you see it if the fog is dense enough. That's not from my own experience, but another driver who runs one mentioned that.

14. LTLIndentured

FYI, I don’t work at Dayton. I’m a sefl driver

15. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

I know an old-school renegade truck driver who works for a very small company who leases their trucks from Penske. His newest truck was brand new when he got it, with an automatic and the Bendix system just like our new ones have. He had 1 anomalous braking incident and promptly unplugged the radar unit in the nose.

The guy he slip-seated with got annoyed and plugged it back in because having it unplugged disables the cruise control. Instead of unplugging it again, my friend took the whole radar unit out and put it in his gun safe at home (he'd rather have no cruise than risk it unexpectedly braking). He said he'd give it back to them when they turn the truck in and that "they can't force me to drive unsafe equipment; I'll file a grievance!" (it's a union shop). Needless to say, his slip seat partner isn't happy about not having cruise at all now.

That wouldn't fly at Dayton, but you better believe I'd write it up, notify management, and document the situation thoroughly if the same stuff ever happened to me. I'm not looking forward to being assigned a new truck, but I'll try and make the best of it when the time comes. It looks like that's the direction the whole industry is going anyway and I have too many years left in my career to try and make a stand. I'm just gonna have to deal with it.

icuicp and LTLIndentured like this.
  16. LTLIndentured

Or change careers. Maybe go O/O. Some of those guys making big bucks

coondogg likes this.
  17. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

I'll retire here if they let me. There's too much good here vs. every other job I've ever had. Plus, I live in the city and have never had a desire to own a truck and have even more to deal with than I already have on my plate. I know it's a good option for some drivers, but I just don't have it in me. You ever thought about going that route?

icuicp likes this.
  18. LTLIndentured

Yes, but I’d go stir crazy being in that cab 24/7. Not enough room for 2 dogs kids and a mrs. Lol I’d become single paying child support if I went o/o. Not by choice either

coondogg likes this.
  19. LTLIndentured

You are right though, lots more to deal with if you’re o/o. I don’t like paperwork either. Just occurred to me that insurance companies will likely demand that everyone have collision mitigation and cameras or get your rates jacked up.

coondogg and icuicp like this.
  20. LTLIndentured

I’m in a pretty good place at sefl for all the complaining I do. Our biggest issue as a whole is leadership at the local and regional levels. Scms are only lasting a year or two. Massive turnover company wide in the supervisor and terminal manager position over the last 3-4 years. I think much of it comes from the regional level because they demand unreasonable goals be met and Hire kids straight outta college for leadership who don’t understand what hard work or freight is.
    My place is only as good as the next scm you send us. I’ll repeat, people don’t quit good jobs, they quit horrible bosses.

coondogg, sabresfan and icuicp like this.