Reddaway | All Reddaway employees will give up 15% or...

As a 22 year employee of Reddaway, a 21 1/2 year Shop Steward, and a five time Negotiating Team member, the general feeling with Employees in both Portland, and Seattle is we already gave up 20% of our compensation when the Company Illegally refused to contribute into our Pension. Unlike the guys at YRC and Roadway, we didn't even get to vote on it Their theft of our Pensions soured the Negotiations, and little now will make a change in Heart for those effected. Let YRC kill the fatted cow- We've been propping them up for months now- I KNOW- I've seen the Financial Sheets, and it's amazing , how we make a profit that matches to the PENNY, what our monthly fees are to YRC for the Screwing we've received!! I say enough of their playing games- Shut it down, or get off our backs and let us do what we know best- REGIONAL Freight!!

This attitude has been building in all the employees for years. We've constantly been paid less than other Union shops performing the same work, all in the hopes of making this Company a solid success. We HAD that when we were USF. The writing was on the wall when YRC people came out to see our operations, and said we needed to be at three bills an hour moved across dock by our dockworkers. We were doing 5.7 Bills per hour at the time, and doing it better than Master Freight. Instead of them adopting our model, we were forced to adapt to their model, so now we miss more freight deliveries and pickups that we used to. We are now just like the big Boys, and our customers are noticing, and abandoning us as a result. Thanks a HEAP, YRC!!

[quote author=Benny Hill link=topic=71425.msg753141#msg753141 date=1258942075]
I'm not questioning your statement, however can you provide us with the backup in the contract(s) that address this issue?

To my knowledge there's no public link to the full NMFA posted on the web any longer? The NMFA has language in it (Section 5) that provides for protections for NMFA members being dovetailed or end tailed in to a company merger between company's that both belong to the NMFA. But when it's with another non-NMFA company, the non-NMFA member company employees will be end tailed behind the current NMFA company employees. Before the company's are merged together they agree to all current contract language. Since the NMFA has protection language in it and the white paper contract doesn't, the NMFA contract language will prevail. That's the best I can do.

I'm not trying to control or sway anyones vote by posting this info. I'm not trying to frighten anyone, I'm only putting it out there because I think it stinks that people voting don't really have much choice, IMO.

If they vote yes they will lose money, if they vote no they might lose their job. What kind of choice is that? Not much IMO. :shrug:
[/quote]

Not sure how this site works as I haven't been in here for years, but Benny is correct. NMFA does provide for endtailing of White Paper workers when a merge happens. It's been upheld several times in rulings by the NLRB. I for one don't care at this point if YRC takes my job. The wreckage from such a move will provide enough work for the laid off workers someplace else. Guaranteed- YRC will lose 98% of Reddaway's customer base with such a move. That is one reason why they have not implemented this idea yet. We are making money, and they know it. Even an Idiot knows when not to do something stupid!!

Sorry to sound so Militant, or confrontational, but talk is cheap!! I'm frustrated by the ineptitude of management to bargain in good faith. By their own actions they have showed some disturbingly 'DEEP POCKETS' throughout these Negotiations. While pleading for 15% RIGHT NOW, they have , by their lack of Negotiating skills, dragged this thing out for over 18 months since the last Contract expired!! Total time Negotiating has been close to if not more than 24 months. Last vote resulted in a vote difference of only 6 votes. The Company instead of taking that as a weak vote, decide to leave everything in place, rather than implement a forced 15% pay cut. Now they have a 3 to 1 No Vote. Let's see how any attempts to roll back wages plays with the troops- I think NOT!!