TForce | Alright, let's say it does go to no:

maxicoze

TB Regular
Credits
Let's say it does turn out no:

1) Describe what generally happens with a strike.

2) Describe what theoretically could happen in a strike, both in this specific case, as well as previous other cases.

(Note: i have never been involved in a strike)

The company closes down, 1000O people unemployed over the holidays. Thats why it won't be no, no way, no how.

It will be YES.

2) Describe what theoretically could happen in a strike, both in this specific case, as well as previous other cases.

Contact your Business Agent. They can explain everything in detail. Or Google it. It’s not that hard.

I’ve never been in a strike either.

I know The dynamics will be different because UPS Freight will have purged the system of freight. Usually companies don’t prepare that way and when a strike occurs the freight is locked in the system. They are in desperate need to get the freight moved.

It’s going to be different, No one will cross lines because there will be nothing to do.
Regardless of a no vote, bottom guys are automatically laid off because freight volumes are zero due to their strategic move.

I’ve never been in a strike either.

I know The dynamics will be different because UPS Freight will have purged the system of freight. Usually companies don’t prepare that way and when a strike occurs the freight is locked in the system. They are in desperate need to get the freight moved.

It’s going to be different, No one will cross lines because there will be nothing to do.
Regardless of a no vote, bottom guys are automatically laid off because freight volumes are zero due to their strategic move.
If there is not freight at the terminals, does that mean you would not need to set up picket lines?

Its pretty simple, after the contract extension expires the union will notify the company of the strike call. Hopefully the company will come right back to the table to avoid a strike although unlikely because they said LBFO. If you want strike pay you must walk the picket lines. this will go on for as long as it takes to get the company to come back to the negotiating table. The company could just close the doors. the company may offer a little more or the company may offer even less than what you have now. Its our slow season so I figure if they don't close the doors they will have us strike for months on end and wear us down so that we will except anything while they focus on parcels busy season.

If there is not freight at the terminals, does that mean you would not need to set up picket lines?
This is a good question because of what upsf did to empty the system of freight. Usually you would have to walk the lines to receive strike pay and Health benefits although no guarantees. what now? nothing to picket, no one is going to cross the lines when there is no work to take. So is there a need to picket? Does this make strike pay and Health benefits null and void?? this will be another gray area.

In the Event of a strike you will head down to your local union hall Monday morning around 8- 9 am. There will be about a 2 hour meeting to setup stewards and volunteers to be strike officers. The picket lines will only be allowed at UPSF Service centers because the System will be empty and there will be no Customers to picket for receiving Struck Goods from Scab Drivers. So You will be Required to walk the picket line in front of your Service Center for a pre determined amount of time most likely 2 hrs per day per teamster. This will be the schedule until the Company agrees to meetings with the IBT. Moral in this type of Work stoppage will wear down the picket line very quickly due to Ghost town service centers sitting Empty.

I’ll be laid off for sure if they decide to close as I’m so low on the totem pole. But doing what’s right is more important to me than caving in.
Sounds like Pride getting in the way to me. You have no intention of searching for what's right. You made a predetermination and you are incapable of admitting that you may be Wrong in all of this.

There is one huge item the union does not understand here, customer defections. A lot of UPS Freight cargo has already shifted. Carriers taking that freight are insisting they accept it on a multi month basis and not only for the duration of a union strike .

Meaning even if this ends tomorrow there is perminate loss of business. It may be too much for the network to bear. In the case of the strike at red star most large customers committed their business to competitors and by the time the strike was over, most of the business was gone.....

The good news is the union bosses who told members to walk off their jobs foreve are still getting paid!

This will end very ugly for UPS freight employees...

I feel for them..

There is one huge item the union does not understand here, customer defections. A lot of UPS Freight cargo has already shifted. Carriers taking that freight are insisting they accept it on a multi month basis and not only for the duration of a union strike .

Meaning even if this ends tomorrow there is perminate loss of business. It may be too much for the network to bear. In the case of the strike at red star most large customers committed their business to competitors and by the time the strike was over, most of the business was gone.....

The good news is the union bosses who told members to walk off their jobs foreve are still getting paid!

I feel for them..
I read the same article regarding competitors only moving UPSF loads with an commitment.

I feel for them..
This all to Familiar with the Dispute with USF Red star. We rolled the dice on the first NO vote and the IBT had no other choice but call ahead 30 days to revoke the extension. The company Reacted in an Aggressive move to seize Leverage. I was blind sided by the move and had no clue the first no vote that I supported would result in the Debacle that we are in now. Time for cooler heads to prevail and look at the future instead of the present. 12,000 Freight workers and family's lives are in the balance.

Thats because you have no idea what happens. All your goal is to shut the company down and make 10000 people unemployed.
He has an opinion just like you. However, why would you take a Teamster job if you only want to propagate the company line?

The benefits and pay you receive now cost one of your fellow Teamsters something at some time before you got to Buster Brown.

But for you it's easy, just vote yes. You're comfortable, and that's understandable. But your comfort has obviously cost you nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't work at upsf, why are you steering the pot? Go back to your forum and debate how united we all are as you run our freight down the road with a smile!