Estes | Altoona, New Columbia Employment

Rscientist

TB Lurker
Credits
I plan to be completing school at the end of March, and was told by a TM that it may be possible to be hired with no exp in the spring. Does Estes have a history of doing this, and if so how late in the year do they usually need to begin hiring for linehaul? The Altoona and New Columbia barns are about the same commute, and I was wondering if a new driver, on extraboard, I suppose, could expect to get reasonable miles starting at this time of year. Thanks for all the good info on the boards that has lead me to this point.

I plan to be completing school at the end of March, and was told by a TM that it may be possible to be hired with no exp in the spring. Does Estes have a history of doing this, and if so how late in the year do they usually need to begin hiring for linehaul? The Altoona and New Columbia barns are about the same commute, and I was wondering if a new driver, on extraboard, I suppose, could expect to get reasonable miles starting at this time of year. Thanks for all the good info on the boards that has lead me to this point.
Miles on the extraboard are typically not given out based on any kind of seniority. It's based on the amount of freight and drivers available. If a new driver and a senior driver are at a hotel on a break, it doesn't matter who has more seniority. It matters who got there first, since it's first in first out(at least it's supposed to be). Attitude and willingness to do what central says will go a long way too. If you can get on with Estes right out of a driving school, do it. Even a lower mileage week on extraboard here will be more money than a high mileage week being an otr driver at a newbie mega carrier. Good luck.

Last edited:
Miles on the extraboard are typically not given out based on any kind of seniority. It's based on the amount of freight and drivers available. If a new driver and a senior driver are at a hotel on a break, it doesn't matter who has more seniority. It matters who got there first, since it's first in first out(at least it's supposed to be). Attitude and willingness to do what central says will go a long way too. If you can get on with Estes right out of a driving school, do it. Even a lower mileage week on extraboard here will be more money than a high mileage week being an otr driver at a newbie mega carrier. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Was hoping to avoid the OTR business, have a little experience with the lifestyle from a foolish stint with Panther Expedited a few years ago.

I would say the Williamsport terminal may possibly keep you a little busier on linehaul with them being right on i80, it's a good relay point between Jersey and West Middlesex and right up 15 from Harrisburg. You would be way ahead in the game doing this versus OTR even if you have to work the dock or the yard exclusively.