New Penn | Alvan Freight Closes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope they can find work period. But YRCW has a hiring freeze in Chicago that I know of. And according to the Central Transport Forum, under the thread,,Hot Rumor Buyout,,,they bought all of Alvan's freight and trailers!

Double check that Hot Rumor Buyout thread....they bought customer lists only. Freight Girl worked there.

Very sad day when a company that had as solid a reputation for service as Alvan was forced to close their doors after 67 years. Very sad day for those workers.

Mark my words, $4.80 fuel is going to be forcing more into bankruptcy very soon.

So what's wrong with this picture that New Penn was interlining with Alvan!!!!!

My thought is that you need to keep the money "in house"!

Certainly NPME could have excluded Alvan and interlined with Holland and gotten their pickups serviced.

However, they would have given up the IB from Alvan. Since NPME was already getting the IB from Holland giving up the IB from Alvan would have reduced the daily bill count.

It was a business decision to maintain the partnership with Alvan and it was a good business decision. The closing of Alvan will cost NPME bill count and therefore work for drivers.

I f you have good cash flow and can wait out receivables.

Thats not the point at all. The point is that there is no relation to fuel costs and what a company charges as a fuel surcharge.

For example - A customer is paying $100 to move a skid from point a to point b. The fsc is 30%, so they are paying an additional $30 for fuel.

The next customer is paying $60 for the same skid. Their fsc is $20.

It does not take any more fuel to move the first customer's skid.

This does not even take into consideration that trucking companies take out fuel in all operating costs, so they do not have to pay bonuses or commisions based on that additional revenue.

Every single trucking company makes a TON of additional money on fuel.

Thats not the point at all. The point is that there is no relation to fuel costs and what a company charges as a fuel surcharge.

For example - A customer is paying $100 to move a skid from point a to point b. The fsc is 30%, so they are paying an additional $30 for fuel.

The next customer is paying $60 for the same skid. Their fsc is $20.

It does not take any more fuel to move the first customer's skid.

This does not even take into consideration that trucking companies take out fuel in all operating costs, so they do not have to pay bonuses or commisions based on that additional revenue.

Every single trucking company makes a TON of additional money on fuel.

Exactly correct. This fuel scare people are blameing for layoffs and such are just a scam and you all believe in the scam. As fuel goes up, the company charges a higher FSC and in the end are not, I repeat NOT paying any more for fuel.
These companys are actually MAKING $MONEY$ with this high price of fuel.

I know it sucks and all but it is true.
Reason for layoffs is because there is no freight to haul. NOT because of the price of fuel killing their bottom line.

oh

Exactly correct. This fuel scare people are blameing for layoffs and such are just a scam and you all believe in the scam. As fuel goes up, the company charges a higher FSC and in the end are not, I repeat NOT paying any more for fuel.

Reason for layoffs is because there is no freight to haul. NOT because of the price of fuel killing their bottom line.
so then Jevic just went out of business for...lying that it was fuel costs?...?

Back in July 07 Fedex reduced their fuel by 25%. Since then they are on a regular adjusted table like every other carrier.

As far as how much they pay for fuel, I do not think that anyone on this board knows how much they pay for fuel.

So why not just say they had to go Out da busy ness?

Because they cost how many people jobs ??? Plus people are so ignorant that they accept a lame excuse like that.

The writing was on the wall the SAIA spun them off and Sun bought them. It just did not make any sense.

Yellow purchased Jevic for something in the neighborhood of $200 million. Sun bought them five years later for $40 million. They made it look good for 18 months, but realized there was more to be had by selling properties and liquidating.

still scratching your head

see cret sh...
this is what I always tell my employer when I want to call it quits..."can't go to work because I can't afford to put gas in my car to get there, can you come pick me up? no? well, then i'll just have to shut my doors." Make sense and I'll respond with same..

There are a couple of other things to consider as it relates to the fuel surcharge.

If you just look at the freight bill your initial reaction would be that companies are making big bucks. In truth, when the FSC first came out 8-9 years ago that was true.

Since then, however, many customers have gotten tired of seeing large fuel surcharges and have gotten reduced fuel rates.

Other customers have negotiated general rate freezes on their basic rates in exchange for keeping FSC rates.

The point is that over the years there has been a lot of combining of General Rates and FSC rates to come to a bottomline number as to what the customer will pay for service. A significant portion of the FSC profit has been given back over time through these negotiations.

So things are not always exactly as they appear on the freight bill even though the FSC appears to be huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.