Alzheimer's patient regains speech with dog

i have had several members of my extended family that have had this terrible disease. there are days when you wish God would take them away and end their suffering.

if no one here knows the agony of this disease first hand like i do, then you know not where i come from with my statement.

i have had several members of my extended family that have had this terrible disease. there are days when you wish God would take them away and end their suffering.

if no one here knows the agony of this disease first hand like i do, then you know not where i come from with my statement.

I felt the same way.
I totally understand the uncontrollable devastation Alzheimers can cause to a family. The supporting cast still has to support.

Same here. I had to hire a driver and have my mother with move with dementia move in with us. There are 7 stages of dementia and my mother insisted that she go through each one. I kept telling her that her husband was calling to her to give up and come to heaven. She said "I can't, I have to live my life".....................................

well then, some of you DO KNOW.....it is a terrible disease. at least with cancer (again, several members of my extended family had this as well), you at least live a life albeit of pain, but you are many times aware of what is happening, and the family can be with you. with dementia, Alzheimer's, the member of the family vegetates and the family loses a member right in front of their eyes that they cannot help and die a slow death.

I would tell you right now if I get to a certain stage of dementia or alzheimers just put me in a rowboat with a fishing rod and send me down the Delaware River and out to sea. Not one person who has dementia etc ever dreamed of being such a burden. They would rather jump off a bridge than be in that condition. Yet that's not how it works.

we try to hold onto our loved ones who are inflicted, and it kills us as we watch them whither away.

we wait in agony, if some how, some way, they escape the house and wander off.

many times we have to be the care takers, as the cost of putting these family members away in a nursing home is so nearly cost prohibitive.

many times (and i have been a witness to) the healthy ones become sick and die.

of all the cures or great medicines out there, sadly, no cure is yet on the horizon for such inflicted people.

My aunt passed from stage IV cancer. It was a brutal ride for both her and us.
There were happy and sad times for all. Unfortunately the cancer was taking over her body and creating a beast, there were times we wanted her dead and there were times when she wanted herself dead.

She tried to pay her hospice nurse to give her the injectable morphine so that she could stab it into her heart.
Than one day...she passed in her sleep and we missed her terribly.

which beckons to ask....

is a "service" or "doctor" such as Kevorkian needed, and/or....was he wrong in helping people to end their misery..????

i supported what he did. many others did not. in fact both my parents supported him as well, and THAT surprised me.

which beckons to ask....

is a "service" or "doctor" such as Kevorkian needed, and/or....was he wrong in helping people to end their misery..????

i supported what he did. many others did not. in fact both my parents supported him as well, and THAT surprised me.

It should be an option. The individual should be able to make that choice. It's not the governments business.

It should be an option. The individual should be able to make that choice. It's not the governments business.

exactly, and "Dr. K" was giving a choice to those that wanted to end their life. guberment should never step in, but as well all know all too well, there are people out there that will lobby the guberment for what's best for others.