SAIA | Am I gettin' the runaround?

stinkyfinger

TB Lurker
Credits
I'll try n make this short n quick!
Saia called me in for interview back in early May,looked very promising and was told he would call me back in a week. I ended up calling him and it has been going on like that ever since.Was told he had a driver quitting soon. I have had to call him every week to check on "the progress". Have been told every thing from waiting on corporate to give him the ok,to there is apparently something pertaining to putting something out to other terminals to see if someone may want to transfer to this alledged opening. I was told that last week and also that the driver who was supposed to quit is still working there. Today he told me that as soon as he gets his head together and gets somewhat organized, he would be ready to sit down with me and get this done, maybe in JULY!!!!! holy crapola!
Talk about bein' dragged around by the scruff of the neck! Back in May I was all set and ready to hire on with Conway but 2 days after I had my phys. and drug screen I called them and said I changed my mind. Too many negative threads in thier group. Now today I find out I may be laid off from my current employer as soon as Mon or sometime next week. Now this crap with Saia that I dont understand. Is this normal procedure for this company? What I am REALLY REALLT want, iis to get on with ups freight. If I am able to hang on till July should I take the Saia job, assuming upsf dont call??

StinkF
I went through the same thing at Saia. I applied in February and still nothing. I came from UPSF. It was a million% better when it was Overnite. For your sake do research before you take the plunge to UPSF. I'm not going to get into why on the air here, but ask drivers who work there first.You might be shocked!
Beermug07.:shock:

I've been linehaul with saia for a couple years now--I'll say that I had to make several phone calls to the TM before he finally hired me (and I had a recommend from another driver).

This was before the online process started and if you ask me, the online process will make matters worse, because it probably has to go through the suits in HR first. They have taken away decision making at the local level, which always slows things down. Be persistent, saia is a good place to hang your hat.

thanks for the info so far!

I will wait it out as long as my current job continues I guess. The delays and all that just make me wonder if this is a well run comapnay. I kinda guess it is, but maybe this mgr. left over from The Connection,, may not be suited for Saia type of operation or be up to running a term. that may be getting ready to grow quite abit. Maybe he's more concerned of losing his job,rather than dealing with hiring someone now.Old mgmt. tends to worry alot when a new company takes over.

Hey Stinkyfinger i would say hang in there!! I know one thing a terminal manager doesn't make any decisions!! They do whatever corporate and the computer tells them to do!! I know the freight is picking up and they have been doing some hiring around DLS!! I have been at Saia for 7 years and i have no complaints. Its like any other job it has its ups and downs!!

All I can say is if this is the runaround you get before you're hired, think it's gonna be any better once you get in the door?

Night Train, you nailed it there!! I'm still looking for a decent driving job around the Windy City here. I said that same thing to myself. You keep your driving record clean and have years of accident free driving (22 years) for what?? I sure don't see a driver shortage, just a shortage of brains of people impersonating driver recruiters!:duh:

No, not since he told me to check back in July.I'm kinda wondering if my age, (50) has something to do with it. Maybe corporate frowned on it. I'm gonna wait it out though and see what happens in July

StinkFinger,
Don't feel bad, I'm right there with you on the waiting around for these places to make a decision of what they're going to do.
I know I jumped through many hoops for Holland just for them to put me back on some "waiting list". They are getting sick of hearing from me, but what can you do. Persistance doesn't really work anymore.

No, not since he told me to check back in July.I'm kinda wondering if my age, (50) has something to do with it. Maybe corporate frowned on it. I'm gonna wait it out though and see what happens in July

Try to keep in contact with the facility you applied at. Call at least once per week. Hope this helps. And don't try with just one company either. Just in case.....

I woldn't worry about it.Think of all the free labor you'll give up by not going to Saia.And after you recieve a 109 rating on your performance,you get your pay cut in half,least that is currently happening to me.Remember."it's going to get better'

:chairshot: Think of the free labor you give up by not going to Saia.and you may not even get your paycheck cut in half After rating 109 % on performance.Boy it's hell being King.and then have a smart assed dispatcher threaten you because you Dont want to take a 1000 mile cut in pay"for the good of the company"Remember northern boys It's going to get better.