TForce | An alternative to IBT.....Association of Parcel Workers of America

nospinzone

TB Lurker
Credits
Im a regular over on browncafe.com and recently learned about this board. Hope ya'll dont mind me throwin my two cents in every now and then.

For the longest time, Overnite has enjoyed what I consider a gentleman's relationship between the employer and employee. Overnite employees would get paid a full days wage for a full days work and the work got done--thus everyones life was good. This cordial working relationship founded by Cochrane negated the need for unionization.

But things change,,,,especially when Buster Brown throws a couple hundred million in the direction of Overnite corporates. Working conditions have changed and the status quo surrounding you is immersed in the union way of doing business. The people of UPSF now have a choice to make.....continue to work in good faith without union representation or elect representation to negotiate a contract to protect the work environment you wish to enjoy.

Should ya'll wish to stay non-union, I would say--thats your choice. However, as Im sure you are learning, the BS that UPS is throwin at you will most likely prevent you from exercising that option.

Should organization be unavoidable, I urge you to consider an alternative to Teamsters which you may not be aware--the Association of Parcel Workers of America. The APWA was formed by UPS employees for the purpose of representing ONLY UPS employees. Being that you are now UPS employees, your voice becomes just as important to this organization. All officers within this organization are required to have worked with UPS for at least ten years, and thus they know first-hand how the contract effects people like you. During union meetings or contract negoations, APWA officers will only have one loyalty and interest--protecting the interests of UPS EMPLOYEES.... not Freight, not Carhaulers, not some company you've never set foot in and could care less about. The job and purpose of the APWA is consumed and focused on UPS employees......period. The way in which your retirement funds are handled can be YOUR CHOICE. Your 401k contributions can continue if you should chose to do so. The issues discussed on www.parcelworkers.com reflect the results of poor pension management by the Teamsters and provide a stark contrast of what APWA has to offer compared to IBT. Review the information found on the website. Contact the officers and tell them what is important to you. Ask questions. Discuss the issues amongst your coworkers. Since this is entirely YOUR union, the direction it goes is entirely up to you. Bottom line is you do have a choice.

There is something better than the Teamsters.

I look forward to hearing your opinions and having some good discussion on the issue. Best of luck with the transition.

sincerely,
Nospin:cool:
apwapeople.gif

nospinzone said:
Im a regular over on browncafe.com and recently learned about this board. Hope ya'll dont mind me throwin my two cents in every now and then.

For the longest time, Overnite has enjoyed what I consider a gentleman's relationship between the employer and employee. Overnite employees would get paid a full days wage for a full days work and the work got done--thus everyones life was good. This cordial working relationship founded by Cochrane negated the need for unionization.

But things change,,,,especially when Buster Brown throws a couple hundred million in the direction of Overnite corporates. Working conditions have changed and the status quo surrounding you is immersed in the union way of doing business. The people of UPSF now have a choice to make.....continue to work in good faith without union representation or elect representation to negotiate a contract to protect the work environment you wish to enjoy.

Should ya'll wish to stay non-union, I would say--thats your choice. However, as Im sure you are learning, the BS that UPS is throwin at you will most likely prevent you from exercising that option.

Should organization be unavoidable, I urge you to consider an alternative to Teamsters which you may not be aware--the Association of Parcel Workers of America. The APWA was formed by UPS employees for the purpose of representing ONLY UPS employees. Being that you are now UPS employees, your voice becomes just as important to this organization. All officers within this organization are required to have worked with UPS for at least ten years, and thus they know first-hand how the contract effects people like you. During union meetings or contract negoations, APWA officers will only have one loyalty and interest--protecting the interests of UPS EMPLOYEES.... not Freight, not Carhaulers, not some company you've never set foot in and could care less about. The job and purpose of the APWA is consumed and focused on UPS employees......period. The way in which your retirement funds are handled can be YOUR CHOICE. Your 401k contributions can continue if you should chose to do so. The issues discussed on www.parcelworkers.com reflect the results of poor pension management by the Teamsters and provide a stark contrast of what APWA has to offer compared to IBT. Soon the website will provide information directly addressing the people in ON/UPSF. Review the information found on the website. Contact the officers and tell them what is important to you. Ask questions. Discuss the issues amongst your coworkers. Since this is entirely YOUR union, the direction it goes is entirely up to you. Bottom line is you do have a choice.

There is something better than the Teamsters.

I look forward to hearing your opinions and having some good discussion on the issue. Best of luck with the transition.

sincerely,
apwapeople.gif
:biglaugh: no thanks,TEAMSTERS :rofl2::lets do a poll on this,to ,way to hillarious.
'for representing only ups employees'thats a good one,sounds like a either a 'company union',or not much of a union at all,maybe even employer funded/run?ain't nothing stronger than the TEAMSTERS! WE like the clout we would have with our brothers & sisters in freight/ups/carhaul/grocery &warehouse,and many other trades/divisions,what kind of clout does apwa have-0!

SOUNDS LIKE COMPANY PLOY,LIKE NEW ENGLAND MOTORFREIGHT,management promots a weaker/smaller union to it's employees , which in turn is either controlled/started and controlled by the employer:bowdown: :d6625240 :sheep: ,compared to a STRONGER/LARGER/POWERFUL UNION LIKE the IBT:Duel: .apwa go away,TEAMSTERS,TEAMSTERS:tribehasspoken:

If i could interrupt your cheerleader chants for a moment......

Clutch is correct.....APWA only wants to do business with UPSF if the interests is reciprocal. No one likes to be forced into a situation,,,,which is exactly what IBT will be doing. After seeing how IBT has handled its finances, the proposition isnt lookin all that enticing.

When it comes to the negotiating table, UPS couldnt give two cents how much "clout" your union has with other companies. Sure it may sound good when you're wearing your Teamster jacket and yuckin it up with your buddies at the bar, but UPS corporates primary concern is protecting their money and preventing a strike. And if a solidified union representing all UPS employees as a collective unit is able to bargain UNILATERALLY, then UPS corporate is threatened with a solid strike threat. However, when IBT walks up to the table, all UPS wil see is their liabilities and ****-poor pension managment. If you think IBT has the upper-hand or any kind of hand in the upcoming UPS contract negotiations, you had best take off those rose colored glasses.

ps....cute smileys...they really pound home your position

Nospin,
Do you guys actually represent anybody? Or is the APWA another attempt to make the Teamsters look bad, like TDU?

nospinzone said:
If i could interrupt your cheerleader chants for a moment......

Clutch is correct.....APWA only wants to do business with UPSF if the interests is reciprocal. No one likes to be forced into a situation,,,,which is exactly what IBT will be doing. After seeing how IBT has handled its finances, the proposition isnt lookin all that enticing.

When it comes to the negotiating table, UPS couldnt give two cents how much "clout" your union has with other companies. Sure it may sound good when you're wearing your Teamster jacket and yuckin it up with your buddies at the bar, but UPS corporates primary concern is protecting their money and preventing a strike. And if a solidified union representing all UPS employees as a collective unit is able to bargain UNILATERALLY, then UPS corporate is threatened with a solid strike threat. However, when IBT walks up to the table, all UPS wil see is their liabilities and ****-poor pension managment. If you think IBT has the upper-hand or any kind of hand in the upcoming UPS contract negotiations, you had best take off those rose colored glasses.

ps....cute smileys...they really pound home your position

Can anyone say TDU?

Don't let this clown fool you. APWA only want UPS and UPSF employees becuase it an employer run union.

Teamster251 said:
Can anyone say TDU?

Don't let this clown fool you. APWA only want UPS and UPSF employees becuase it an employer run union.
Yep, no doubt in my mind....more divide and conquer.

APWA is an IRS recognized 501(c) non-profit corporation registered in the state of Delaware with its primary operations out of North Carolina. Its membership are UPS employees who are tired of watching Central States/IBT ruin their pension, health and welfare benefits. If you have been paying attention all these years, you know how poorly funded the multiemployer pension plans are. (view bloomberg article)

If youre gonna make the statement that APWA is an employer run union, you should have the proof to back it up. Better yet, if you know that they are an employer run union, call up the NLRB and the Teamsters so they can be prosecuted for it. That sounds like a labor violation if its true.

And its not the purpose of the APWA to make IBT look bad. IBT does a good enough job of that on their own. The purpose of the APWA is to decertify IBT.

www.parcelworkers.com

nospinzone said:
APWA is an IRS recognized 501(c) non-profit corporation registered in the state of Delaware with its primary operations out of North Carolina. Its membership are UPS employees who are tired of watching Central States/IBT ruin their pension, health and welfare benefits. If you have been paying attention all these years, you know how poorly funded the multiemployer pension plans are. (view bloomberg article)

If youre gonna make the statement that APWA is an employer run union, you should have the proof to back it up. Better yet, if you know that they are an employer run union, call up the NLRB and the Teamsters so they can be prosecuted for it. That sounds like a labor violation if its true.

And its not the purpose of the APWA to make IBT look bad. IBT does a good enough job of that on their own. The purpose of the APWA is to decertify IBT.

www.parcelworkers.com

So which one of the three members are you.
Van, Danny, or Tom

:holysheep: :fruit: :fruit: nospinzone- I thought the purpose of the "APWA" was to represent their members in the day to day dealings with UPS , but I see in your post the truth comes out in last sentence."The purpose of the APWA is to decertify IBT". Seems to me is all they want is control of the hugh pile of cash and run off the union, same as the company themselves or are they the company in sheeps clothing?

usf-indy said:
:holysheep: :fruit: :fruit: nospinzone- I thought the purpose of the "APWA" was to represent their members in the day to day dealings with UPS , but I see in your post the truth comes out in last sentence."The purpose of the APWA is to decertify IBT". Seems to me is all they want is control of the hugh pile of cash and run off the union, same as the company themselves or are they the company in sheeps clothing?

This club was started by a couple of Feeder Drivers that were kicked out of TDU

usf-indy said:
nospinzone- I thought the purpose of the "APWA" was to represent their members in the day to day dealings with UPS , but I see in your post the truth comes out in last sentence."The purpose of the APWA is to decertify IBT". Seems to me is all they want is control of the hugh pile of cash and run off the union, same as the company themselves or are they the company in sheeps clothing?
THOSE GUYS ARE REALLY SILLY:biglaugh: like they could do a better job than the IBT?::rofl2: :moon2: 'BRING IN THE HORSES' A WHOLE STAMPEDE OF EM,OH YA,AND AS FAR AS MULTI-EMPLOYER PENSION FUNDS GO, KINDA FUNNY,NONE have ever been taken over by the P.B.G.C [PENSION BENIFIT GUARENTEE CORP] HAVE THEY? ,but single employer pension plans sure have!I agree,company in sheeps clothing:fruit: ,Brown all the way.TALK ABOUT ROSE COLORED GLASSES,yours sure need some windex awful bad.must be the kool-aid stains that rose colored your glasses,some splash up on em hogging the punchbowl full of KOOL-AID all to yourself?DANNY,YOU AND VAN FIGHT OVER FIRST DIBS ON THE KOOL-AID BOWL?

stldude44 said:
Nospin,
Do you guys actually represent anybody? Or is the APWA another attempt to make the Teamsters look bad, like TDU?
very good question,STLDUDE,sounds awful management/corporate backed
to me,also sound like a bunch of:loser: :jerkit: :fruit: :d6625240:

The first sentence of the APWA's so-called mission statement shows that it wouldn't benefit UPSF to ask these clowns to represent you. It says.............

"This organization is SOLELY and EXCLUSIVELY for the benefit of any UPS employee currently covered by a Teamster collective bargaining agreement."

The current UPSF workforce is NOT currently under a Teamster deal. So, the SOLE and EXCLUSIVE APWA goal has nothing to do with the O workforce, by it's own admission.
Next divide and conquer attempt please.

nospinzone said:

www.parcelworkers.com

Good response. I'll be looking into this.:smilie_132:

So which one of the three members are you: Van, Danny, or Tom

You think those boys are gonna waste their time on a web board? Sorry...theyve got bigger fish to fry. I choose to express my support for the APWA by discussing issues and encouraging open debate on web boards. Unlike IBT, I personally believe us truck drivers can think independently for ourselves and enjoy discussing this issue.

nospinzone- I thought the purpose of the "APWA" was to represent their members in the day to day dealings with UPS , but I see in your post the truth comes out in last sentence."The purpose of the APWA is to decertify IBT". Seems to me is all they want is control of the hugh pile of cash and run off the union, same as the company themselves or are they the company in sheeps clothing?

Currently the Central States Pension plan is maybe about 60% funded. Benefits are being reduced and health insurance premiums and copays are being increased (source:dailyii.com article) But hell, I dont need to source that for ya. Ask any driver from Florida to Ohio that is covered in that plan and they'll tell you what they think about all the cuts. The two guys that are leading this movement would have retired already had it not been for the pension and health cuts. And if you read their site, specifically the introduction page, it doesnt say that want to "run off the union" but rather to replace IBT... to petition the NLRB for a secret ballot election the results of which will either leave IBT in place or name APWA as the new bargaining agent--this is a pro-union website. Take the fifteen minutes to ACTUALLY READ the website. Are they the company or company in sheeps clothing? After talking with Skillman and Eason on multiple occasions, I can tell you no. But why dont you email them and speak with them personally. They'll be happy to address your concerns.
This club was started by a couple of Feeder Drivers that were kicked out of TDU
These guys have never been kicked out of TDU or Teamsters. Collectively they were both Teamsters for about 50yrs and both of them cancelled their memberships upon realizing that IBT was tanking their pensions.
The current UPSF workforce is NOT currently under a Teamster deal. So, the SOLE and EXCLUSIVE APWA goal has nothing to do with the O workforce, by it's own admission.
APWA was formed to represent UPS hourly employees. When they were established in late 2004, ON had not been purchased by UPS; thus ON/UPSF was not a consideration. But as you well know, come tomorrow morning, UPS will be signing your paychecks. Within the past few week, Teamsters has made it quite obvious of their intentions to organize UPSF. Im gonna assume that APWA will entertain interests from UPSF employees also. I figured it wouldnt hurt to talk this up with you guys now. Give you something to think about since you guys are courting labor unions. Hell....if i were you, I would shop around and get the union that best fits your needs. You guys could choose anyone you want...or start your own damn union if ya wanted to. No need to limit your options in a situation like this.
And notice I said APWA would ENTERTAIN.....not FORCE you into a union.

I think my favorite smiley is the dancing sheep.