TForce | An alternative to IBT.....Association of Parcel Workers of America

Animo916 said:
How can a union represent nonunion employees. Either you are a union member or you are not. To even claim to be able to represent non union employees seems like a conflict of interest.
As I'm sure you already know, currently, Teamsters are legally required to represent all UPS employees, regardless of their membership status in the right-to-work states. Now, being that IBT lacks integrity, I doubt they work as hard for the non-union UPSr as they would for the union employee. You ask what makes APWA so much better? This is one difference between APWA and IBT---APWA is a union of integrity and will earn your support rather than demand, brow-beat, and intimidate you into supporting them.
Animo916 said:
A single employer pension under the administration of the APWA? I doubt any employer would ever agree to not having a say in a pension plan that they contribute the money.
I dont see anywhere in my post saying that UPS wouldnt have a rep on the board. But I'll reply anyhow. It seems to me that if the members of a union feel strongly enough about not having UPS corporate representation or limiting their representation on the Board of Trustees, then they can try to press that point during contract negotiations. But even if UPS does end up gettin a rep on the Board, how is that different from the current situation? But I guess you already knew that UPS has a couple suits on the IBT pension Board of Trustees? And since Every pension board member is subject to direct elections by the membership on an APWA pension board, the membership has a very strong voice in the direction the fund goes.
Animo916 said:
It seems that no matter what type of spin they put on membership, it still boils down to ...if you wanna play, you gotta pay. Won't be able to support you as aggressively without financial contributions.
Animo,,,,how do you think IBT pays for its services, lawyers, expenses? How do you think any union pays for its overhead? Membership fees and dues. Nothing in life is free. But with APWA, the UPS-only membership has a stronger voice and a tighter control of the purse strings. Thats probably the biggest benefit that APWA has to offer over IBT--Member access and oversight. If the APWA doesn't stay honest then its members will have no one to blame but themselves. ---at APWA, its all about the members.

FM---I agree 100% with your statement.

Nospin:cool:

nospinzone said:
As I'm sure you already know, currently, Teamsters are legally required to represent all UPS employees, regardless of their membership status in the right-to-work states.

Nospin:cool:

Where does it state that the Teamsters are legally required to represent ALL UPS employees? The Teamsters have no obligation to represent anyone that is not a Teamster or seeking Teamster representation.

Now, being that IBT lacks integrity, I doubt they work as hard for the non-union UPSr as they would for the union employee.

Funny how your opinion is the IBT lacks integrity. I find that anyone that becomes part of an organization, and then decides they no longer need to pay dues for whatever reason, lacks integrity. Again you state the IBT wouldn't work for a nonunion UPSer. Why should they? A non union employee is not part and parcel to the collective bargaining agreement and therefore has no reason to expect representation. Personally, I wouldn't represent anyone that decided he/she didn't have to pay dues anymore. Like I said before....if you wanna play, you gotta pay. It seems like you say the same thing about APWA. No contributions would equal inferior reresntation due to lack of finances.

You ask what makes APWA so much better? This is one difference between APWA and IBT---APWA is a union of integrity and will earn your support rather than demand, brow-beat, and intimidate you into supporting them.

Again, I see no integrity from people that demand representation without having to pay the dues necessary to obtain that representation. When I joined the Teamsters, no one demanded, taunted, intimidated or brow beat me to make the dues payments. I knew going in what was expected of me for my membership priveledges. 2&1/2 hours of my pay per month is no big deal considering the benefits I get for that money. I belong to several various clubs and organizations and guess what? I have to pay dues for those memberships as well. If I decided to no longer pay those dues, do you think I would still be able to maintain my membership and benefits from those organizations?

I dont see anywhere in my post saying that UPS wouldnt have a rep on the board.

single-employer pension plan that APWA would be the administrator of.
You didn't mention anything more than this.
But I'll reply anyhow. It seems to me that if the members of a union feel strongly enough about not having UPS corporate representation or limiting their representation on the Board of Trustees, then they can try to press that point during contract negotiations. But even if UPS does end up gettin a rep on the Board, how is that different from the current situation? But I guess you already knew that UPS has a couple suits on the IBT pension Board of Trustees?
Of course I knew that, as well as the fact that every company that is signatory to a Teamster pension fund has Corporate Trustees on the Board as well as Trustees from the Teamsters.
And since Every pension board member is subject to direct elections by the membership on an APWA pension board, the membership has a very strong voice in the direction the fund goes.

I know about being able to vote for the Union Trustees on the Pension Boards, but when has the membership ever been able to vote for the Corporate Trustees? And what makes you think that Corporate would allow APWA members to decide which Corporate trustees will be allowed on the Board?

Animo,,,,how do you think IBT pays for its services, lawyers, expenses? How do you think any union pays for its overhead? Membership fees and dues. Nothing in life is free.

I know exactly how the IBT pays for these things. What you are implying is that through "Voluntary contributions" APWA will be able to offer these same or supposedly "better" services than the IBT affords the members now.
Nothing in life is free.
I have been saying this all along. But why would anyone buy the cow if they can get the milk for free? I don't see why anyone would voluntarily make contributions when you say APWA will represent them regardless of whether they pay or not. In the long run, APWA will have to impose mandatory dues payments in order to be viable. Without pouring money into a boat for maintainece and reliability, the boat eventually sinks.
But with APWA, the UPS-only membership has a stronger voice and a tighter control of the purse strings. Thats probably the biggest benefit that APWA has to offer over IBT--Member access and oversight. If the APWA doesn't stay honest then its members will have no one to blame but themselves. ---at APWA, its all about the members.
Strange, but I think that by joining APWA, the UPS membership loses the voice and strength of the remaining 1.2million Teamsters that will no longer support them since they will no longer be members of the Teamsters. We may still honor picket lines and such, but I think that is where it would end.

Since it is obviously clear that you are no longer a dues paying member of the IBT, you sir are nothing more than a blight to those of us that are still hard working dues paying members of the International BROTHERHOOD of Teamsters.

Animo916 said:
Since it is obviously clear that you are no longer a dues paying member of the IBT, you sir are nothing more than a blight to those of us that are still hard working dues paying members of the International BROTHERHOOD of Teamsters.

And a paid advertisement spokesman for apwad too.

Animo, you said it better than I could.

Thank you.

Response

Animo said:
Where does it state that the Teamsters are legally required to represent ALL UPS employees? The Teamsters have no obligation to represent anyone that is not a Teamster or seeking Teamster representation.......Again you state the IBT wouldn't work for a nonunion UPSer. Why should they? A non union employee is not part and parcel to the collective bargaining agreement and therefore has no reason to expect representation. Personally, I wouldn't represent anyone that decided he/she didn't have to pay dues anymore.
The union's duty of fair representation to all bargaining unit employees, whether union members or nonmembers, has long been recognized by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Vaca v. Sipes, 386 U.S. 171, 180-83 (1967)
Syres v. Oil Workers, 350 U.S. 892 (1955).

When a collective bargaining agent(Teamsters) negotiates a contract with the employer, they are negotiating on behalf of union members and non-union members alike. The contract protects both employees equally, and the union is required to represent both employees.
Animo said:
Funny how your opinion is the IBT lacks integrity. I find that anyone that becomes part of an organization, and then decides they no longer need to pay dues for whatever reason, lacks integrity... Like I said before....if you wanna play, you gotta pay.......Again, I see no integrity from people that demand representation without having to pay the dues necessary to obtain that representation.
That’s just the point, Animo. People supporting APWA don’t want IBT representing them anymore. The contract we work under now was paid for with our contributions prior to 2002. If I don’t want IBT negotiating my contract in 2008, then why should I continue giving them money? The hell if I’m gonna send them anymore money. Union representation is based on a democratic model allowing the employees to choose who should represent them. I owe nothing to IBT.
Animo said:
But why would anyone buy the cow if they can get the milk for free? I don't see why anyone would voluntarily make contributions when you say APWA will represent them regardless of whether they pay or not. In the long run, APWA will have to impose mandatory dues payments in order to be viable. Without pouring money into a boat for maintainece and reliability, the boat eventually sinks.
The majority, if not all, of the people at UPS understand the necessity of union representation. They understand that if they don’t support whichever union is in place, that UPS will screw the grunts that make the Brown Machine move. And APWA would earn that support rather than demand it by providing a service with value to the people at UPS-- a service that people will recognize and willingly support because its makes their life better.
Animo said:
Strange, but I think that by joining APWA, the UPS membership loses the voice and strength of the remaining 1.2million Teamsters that will no longer support them since they will no longer be members of the Teamsters.
Once again, when the union sits at the negotiating table with UPS, the only voice that UPS cares about are the couple hundred thousand UPS employees that are union members. The suits don’t give a damn about the other million Teamsters. The other million Teamsters don’t drive the brown trucks, sort the packages, or pull the freight with UPS’s logo on it…..therefore, they hold no control over Uncle Buster’s bottom line which is all that Buster cares about.
Animo said:
This blight is exercising my right to support and elect union representation of my choosing as provided by law. A privilege and right that extends to the people at UPS Freight also. You’re free to exercise that right yourself, as you have so done here, Animo. Don’t we live in a great country??!!

nospin:cool:

AllSpinZone,
If you have ever really worked in the trucking industry other than being a billy big rigger you owe alot to the IBT. You and your ilk should be ashamed of yourselves. We have Union haters (non Union) right here on this board that will readily admit that their jobs wouldn't be as good as they are if not for the IBT and their gains made for workers in our industry. Nobody is buying your BS here. You're wasting your time.

saddletramp said:
OK greezy, still trying to figure that one out....

35 years in the Teamsters for me at many different companies; thank god for the multi employer pension fund I am working under (Western).

Come out this way and see the Teamster retirees "Basking" in that retired lifestyle enjoying their golden years that they worked hard for.
For most cases, it is good. There is some sad endings for some of these good folks, such as CF and Garrett and Nationsway. Alot were able to find other Teamster work to get their pension hours in, some took early out, and some fell through the cracks unfortunatly. But is the fact these companies shut down the fault of the Teamsters Union?? Really?? Is their someone out their with proof that the union shut these companies down and put all those good people out on the street?

I dont think so...........:rolleyes:

One of these days the BIG PCTURE is going to crash down on my head and it will all make sense........

nospinzone said:
The union's duty of fair representation to all bargaining unit employees, whether union members or nonmembers, has long been recognized by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Vaca v. Sipes, 386 U.S. 171, 180-83 (1967)
Syres v. Oil Workers, 350 U.S. 892 (1955).

When a collective bargaining agent(Teamsters) negotiates a contract with the employer, they are negotiating on behalf of union members and non-union members alike. The contract protects both employees equally, and the union is required to represent both employees.

Nospin,

After reading the case you sighted (above), I see no relevence in that case to what you are trying to prove. This was a case about an employee that was discharged for medical reasons, even though he had conflicting medical reports. The Union took his grievence through 4 of the 5 stages of the arbitration process. Before the final stage, the union even paid for him to see a doctor of his choice which returned an unfavorable medical report. At this point, the union decided to no longer push the case due to the fact of that unfavorable report. The courts even upheld the union's decission and found no wrong doing on the part of the union.

Now I agree about the union having to represent all bargaining unit employees. However, your differentiating between union and nonunion members gets a little fuzzy. In right to work states where members don't have to pay dues (Free Riders as we call them) then yes you are correct. However, to ambiguosly state that all employees are covered and negotiated for doesn't hold water. Unless the employee is part of the bargaining unit, then he/she has no right to union representation, benefits, or rights of bargaining unit members.

That’s just the point, Animo. People supporting APWA don’t want IBT representing them anymore. The contract we work under now was paid for with our contributions prior to 2002. If I don’t want IBT negotiating my contract in 2008, then why should I continue giving them money? The hell if I’m gonna send them anymore money. Union representation is based on a democratic model allowing the employees to choose who should represent them.

Just how many people are supporting APWA? I doubt you will have enough interest to even make it to the bargaining tables...(Just my opinion). Secondly, whether you believe your contributions prior to 2002 gave you the current agreement you work under, the point is, just because YOU don't want the IBT to represent YOU after 2008 doesn't mean YOU should neglect YOUR fair part and contribute (pay dues)to the union in order to provide the salaries for the people that are still representing you now....(unless of course you're in a right to work state). Now if memory serves me correctly, didn't UPS workers CHOOSE to be represented by the Teamsters in 2002?

I owe nothing to IBT.

But the IBT presently owes you all the protection and benefits that go along with representation. And I suspect you still want their representaion and protections until 2008, and if APWA doesn't make it to the bargaining tables, you will still want that representation after 2008. If not, I suggest you take a withdrawal card and find work elsewhere.....oh but where else would you be able to make the big bucks UPS drivers make???

The majority, if not all, of the people at UPS understand the necessity of union representation. They understand that if they don’t support whichever union is in place, that UPS will screw the grunts that make the Brown Machine move. And APWA would earn that support rather than demand it by providing a service with value to the people at UPS-- a service that people will recognize and willingly support because its makes their life better.

I totally agree that without any representation, UPS workers would definitely get the short end of the stick. However, I still have not seen anything other than words about what APWA can offer. You presently represent NO ONE, yet you and your website constantly tell of better insurance, better pension, better representation, better, better, better......:duh:
Where is your track record?
What contracts have you negotitated?
Who do you represent?
What medical have you already put in place?
What insurance have you already put in place?
What pension do you already have put in place?
How do you plan to pay officer's wages without an income such as dues?
Why would you expect anyone to pay for something that you tell them they don't have to pay for?

Once again, when the union sits at the negotiating table with UPS, the only voice that UPS cares about are the couple hundred thousand UPS employees that are union members. The suits don’t give a damn about the other million Teamsters. The other million Teamsters don’t drive the brown trucks, sort the packages, or pull the freight with UPS’s logo on it…..therefore, they hold no control over Uncle Buster’s bottom line which is all that Buster cares about.

The industries that those other million Teamsters work in would have an adverse affect on UPS should there be times of Labor struggles. No support for a strike fund, no support on picket lines (although I'm sure the Teamsters wouldn't cross Your lines in that event). How about deciding not to use UPS in favor of a Teamster represented package carrier such as DHL? Tell me that wouldn't affect Brown's bottom line??? So you see, the other million members do in fact hold some control, no matter how subliminal it may be.

This blight is exercising my right to support and elect union representation of my choosing as provided by law. A privilege and right that extends to the people at UPS Freight also. You’re free to exercise that right yourself, as you have so done here, Animo. Don’t we live in a great country??!!

You have every right to pick the representation of your choosing, but you should still support the representation you have until it gets replaced if at all. Yes, we do live in a great country. A country that was built on the backs of generation after generation of hard working Teamsters.

Wow nospin,

You put on a nice calm exterior in your postings but when someone asks a few questions, ( and politely I might add) you ding their rep?

Kinda shows your true colors huh, lol.

FM

Why would anyone in there right mind consider a "scab" as a represenative? Theyve allready shown there true colors.
Also, if your unhappy with the repesentation from the Teamster's, then get invoved, not scab. Run for office, campaign for those you believe in.Attend the meetings and voice your opinion. You dont scab! As far as Im concerned, yall cant be trusted and you would sell us out for your own personal gain.