Angie's List class action lawsuit

pro1driver

I don't wanna go fishing, even though i got stuff
Credits
i got in today's mail, a postcard from a law firm. apparently, there is a class action suit against, Angie's List.

i was indeed a member of Angie's List, as i wanted ratings and information on dependable contractor's in my area.

being a homeowner i always need someone i can trust, and depend on. most people i know now, live in apartments or condos, so they have no need for contractors.

but i canceled my membership, about half way thru the year, but i am still entitled to "up to" a $10.00 cash payout (it is the pro-rated membership fee).

apparently, some members claimed that Angie's List was getting money from the rated contractors, for high ratings and advertising them at the top of the lists. Angie's List, claims (of course) no wrongdoing.

so if any of you were a member of ANgie's List, any where from March 2009 to July 2016, you should be getting a postcard as well. i say, fill it out online (the claim form) and get something back, why not? you're IN the settlement.>!!

the firm:

www.MoorevALsettlement.com

Who can you trust ?
well apparently, not Angie..??????

maybe this is why it is free now to join....??????

seems to make some sense, we were paying for membership, contractors were paying for high ratings, rather than to get sued big time, free for everyone.....now comes into question what you just said, and that is basically, "can we trust Angie's List anymore"..??

this puts some of us homeowners in a tight spot. i am on disability, i cannot afford high dollar repairs. i have no neighbors that own thier own homes, as they are renters. nearly all my relatives are dead, or not homeowners anymore themselves.

i depend on such sites as Angie's List, and now there is a new one i see on tv, all free as well. some gal on a home improvement show is thier speaker, can't think of her name, i like her show too, when i can catch it.

I wasn't paying any stinking fee to Angie to get her referrals, now I'm extra happy that I wouldn't. :wee:

I wasn't paying any stinking fee to Angie to get her referrals, now I'm extra happy that I wouldn't. :wee:
my subscription (membership) did not last long. less than 4 months i think, and i cancelled.

I've been a member going on 3 years,I used an electrician & plumber,which both did what I needed & the price was not to bad.

As far as some of the latest law suits coming out about famous companies.
Well you gotta be real careful about putting your personal information out to receive a settlement.
Unless you can verify the origin of the class action.
My wife received a text on her phone which we couldn't verify from IRS.
It claimed we owed more taxes then what we paid & we'd be arrested if we didn't call a phone number they provided.
To give them the information they needed I told my wife not to worry about it until they send an agent to our house.
The next day I did a trace on the phone number & it had been disconnected.

Also a friend of mine told me about a e-mail he got from some law firm about a class action suit against Apple with computers sold before 2008.
He said he would receive about 10 bucks in the settlement,I checked my i-mac & found I bought it in early 2008.
However the personal information they are asking for is no way worth it to me to send them for a $10.00 settlement.
I told my friend he should think it over as well,which he is.

Then there was one other scam just last week.
I received on my e-mail about me being arrested,for not paying my electric bill,I needed to hurry up & send money to them to take care of it.
I did not respond to the e-mail because,the day I receive my electric bill in my mail box I write a check & drop if off at their office.

So then pro from my latest experiences with scams I'd really want to check out the Angie's thing if I were you.

Maybe the scammers are targeting the older crowed,because they are more gullible then the younger folks.

I've been a member going on 3 years,I used an electrician & plumber,which both did what I needed & the price was not to bad.

As far as some of the latest law suits coming out about famous companies.
Well you gotta be real careful about putting your personal information out to receive a settlement.
Unless you can verify the origin of the class action.
My wife received a text on her phone which we couldn't verify from IRS.
It claimed we owed more taxes then what we paid & we'd be arrested if we didn't call a phone number they provided.
To give them the information they needed I told my wife not to worry about it until they send an agent to our house.
The next day I did a trace on the phone number & it had been disconnected.

Also a friend of mine told me about a e-mail he got from some law firm about a class action suit against Apple with computers sold before 2008.
He said he would receive about 10 bucks in the settlement,I checked my i-mac & found I bought it in early 2008.
However the personal information they are asking for is no way worth it to me to send them for a $10.00 settlement.
I told my friend he should think it over as well,which he is.

Then there was one other scam just last week.
I received on my e-mail about me being arrested,for not paying my electric bill,I needed to hurry up & send money to them to take care of it.
I did not respond to the e-mail because,the day I receive my electric bill in my mail box I write a check & drop if off at their office.

So then pro from my latest experiences with scams I'd really want to check out the Angie's thing if I were you.

Maybe the scammers are targeting the older crowed,because they are more gullible then the younger folks.
the Angie's List lawsuit, the law firm had all my information, all i had to do was submit the claim form, by basically checking the box to include me.

they had my name, address, phone, email, which is how i got the email.

could someone have "phished" my information..??

certainly, but i added nothing more, than what was already told they had on me.

a few years ago, i was involved in a class action from the makers/sellers of what was known then as RAMBUS.

RAM memory specific to Intel machines, and they had a lock on the price, and was indeed price fixing

i still have all the paperwork. that settlement can go on for many more years.

i was just rethinking what you said.

i only took over this house back in mid 2007. i had done many of my own repairs, (previous to the take over) and had a couple of good dependable people to help when needed, so i didn't "need" any such list.

however, people (contractor's) die or retire, and who do you turn to..??

then too, as you well know, i am basically disabled now, and need work to be done from time to time.

Angies List advertised both on tv and the internet, in a time that i may have needed contractors, like i still do, for exterior house painting.

anyone i know, (other homeowners) hasn't had any work done in years, and thier contractors are long gone as well.

and many of those homes now, are covered in siding, and the interiors have long been done over. up to and including plumbing and electrical.

so i figured the way Angie's List was advertising, this was a good way to get the general consensus of reviews from real people, not from the contractors themselves, that can "fluff" reviews on thier own websites.

after my very short membership with Angie's List, i found it to be useless, for whatever reason(s) i came to back then, and cancelled.

now of course, Angie's List is for free,(perhaps due to the lawsuit) as well as Home Advisor, (free)

it still comes down to, no matter who you call, you still can interview them till the cows come home, and in the end, you still "take your chances"....

It's tough when we already have enough to do or the work exceeds our skills and abilities and we have to find someone else to bail us out. It is hard to find competent people, whether it's our car, house or anything else that needs repair.

actually i have been seeing Angie herself on the tv saying her site is free now, and has been for a little while.

Maybe she knew what was coming, and she was trying to get out ahead of it. If the site is free, no harm no foul, and they think they were not committing fraud, and won't be caught up in a class action lawsuit.

Maybe she knew what was coming, and she was trying to get out ahead of it. If the site is free, no harm no foul, and they think they were not committing fraud, and won't be caught up in a class action lawsuit.
yes, but too late for the freebie to hit. they were caught taking monies for good ratings.

serves them right. when someone needed a good review, they expected one from honest sources.

it's like the BBB, companies have to pay to be members and get ratings and arbitration. it's more of a neighborhood thing than anything else.