Yellow | Another Great Icon....

As we watch as Ali is being laid to rest another icon passes.
Mr. Hockey Goldie Howe.
You know age is creeping up on you when all the people you followed when you were young pass.
RIP Mr. Hockey... Another Great One.
We're u lucky enough to see the 'Howe' line play, live?

We're u lucky enough to see the 'Howe' line play, live?
Yes..... Not live.. But on tv... My grandpa loved wrestling and hockey. Had one of the tiny black and white console tv's..... ... I was young but old enough. I lived in Detroit at the time.. Couldn't avoid it.. Lol.
You right El...Did you ever see him live? We are lucky in some aspects. To see what made them great. Including Ali... I was so young but I remembered when he changed his name. I thought to myself why? Cassius Clay was such a cool name. But I was young.
I met Gordie twice... At shows of course. But he was one of the people when you had something signed by him he just didn't sign. He interacted. Talked to you on a personal level and wasn't rushing while doing it. Really nice person is what I got out of it.
He was so busy talking he signed it twice!

Last edited:
Yes..... Not live.. But on tv... I was young but old enough. I lived in Detroit at the time.. Couldn't avoid it.. Lol.
You right El... We are lucky in some aspects. To see what made them great. Including Ali... I was so young but I remembered when he changed his name. I thought to myself why? Cassius Clay was such a cool name. But I was young.
I met Gordie twice... At shows of course. But he was one of the people when you had something signed by him he just didn't sign. He interacted. Talked to you on a personal level and wasn't rushing while doing it. Really nice person is what I got out of it.

Ya, Gordie was a regular guy.

I was referring to seeing him play with Mark and Marty, in Houston as Aeros.

I saw him play a few times in STL, when the NHL expanded.

Mr. Elbows!

Ya.. He was just a regular guy. That's what made him what he was.
Mr. Elbows... Haven't heard that one in a long time. That was a tough time to play.
If you weren't playing kinda dirty... You weren't playing.... Lol.
Basically playing with no protective gear compared to today.
I watch vintage games once in awhile and it's amazing and crazy to watch goalies with no mask... And even the ones they had weren't much.

I heard that he always shipped his stuff Yellow, does that count?

Yes..... Not live.. But on tv... My grandpa loved wrestling and hockey. Had one of the tiny black and white console tv's..... ... I was young but old enough. I lived in Detroit at the time.. Couldn't avoid it.. Lol.
You right El...Did you ever see him live? We are lucky in some aspects. To see what made them great. Including Ali... I was so young but I remembered when he changed his name. I thought to myself why? Cassius Clay was such a cool name. But I was young.
I was born and raised in SE Michigan. I can remember being a young lad in bed at night, in the late fifties and early sixties,listening to my dad in the living room as he watched the Red Wings play on UHF channel 50. HE SCORED!!, still rings in my memory.

Don't complain,this is one of the few threads that's stayed on the subject.
It did... It's sad. He doesn't get the recognition as some athletes did. It was a blip on the news and he was a hell of an athlete... Even Gretzky followed him when he was young. And he will get more than a blip on the news.. Oh well. So be it. Off topic.
He was a great man anyways... Even outside the sport.

Red Wings are moving to a new arena in 2017. There is now a push to have it named for Howe
That's the first thing I thought of. It would be the right thing to do.
Better than named after an airline or bank..... Howe Arena.... Sounds good!
On my above post as for recognition of Howe. I am not taking away from Ali. He was a good man also and persevered to the end. Not many of us could do that. He was the Greatest.

Thanks mud.... Well worth ten minutes of my time. A small tribute to a great man.
They will do honors to him before the Sunday Stanley Cup game.

Last edited:
Reactions: mud
Ya.. He was just a regular guy. That's what made him what he was.
Mr. Elbows... Haven't heard that one in a long time. That was a tough time to play.
If you weren't playing kinda dirty... You weren't playing.... Lol.
Basically playing with no protective gear compared to today.
I watch vintage games once in awhile and it's amazing and crazy to watch goalies with no mask... And even the ones they had weren't much.
I believe Andy Brown of the Detroit Red Wings was the last goalie to play with no mask.