Anti-union propaganda in LA?

Shifterknob

The Last Wordslinger
Credits
I see the company is playing more of their games with employees who are trying to organize.

Spreading lies and half-truths and misinformation about the pension plan and the motives of the union.

The motives of the union?

What... to represent employees who are tired of getting the shaft? How evil of them.

Well, they played this game in Boise and lost. They played this game in Bend and lost... until they won. They played this game in Eugene and won. Same for La Grande.

Only now the employees are tired of being lied to and being sold a bill of goods. The gloves are coming off, and we'll just see who are the winners and losers when the dust settles.

Los Angeles Oak Harbor drivers... we are all behind you, and the rest of the non-union employees in california, Nevada, and other stater who are trying to get a square deal. Hang in there, and don't give up, because you will persevere!

Ask questions, and look at the facts, and the decision will be very easy, I think...

shifterknob said:
I see the company is playing more of their games with employees who are trying to organize.

Spreading lies and half-truths and misinformation about the pension plan and the motives of the union.

The motives of the union?

What... to represent employees who are tired of getting the shaft? How evil of them.

Well, they played this game in Boise and lost. They played this game in Bend and lost... until they won. They played this game in Eugene and won. Same for La Grande.

Only now the employees are tired of being lied to and being sold a bill of goods. The gloves are coming off, and we'll just see who are the winners and losers when the dust settles.

Los Angeles Oak Harbor drivers... we are all behind you, and the rest of the non-union employees in california, Nevada, and other stater who are trying to get a square deal. Hang in there, and don't give up, because you will persevere!

Ask questions, and look at the facts, and the decision will be very easy, I think...

Someone from the Oak Harbor team identified this forum as a possible communication with some of our team who use this regularly.

1. I find it a little difficult to respond because of the tone that I read in this note. I personally would not work for someone or some place that I felt purposely lied to me or to my team. Oak Harbor is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, the leaders of Oak Harbor make mistakes everyday but to purposely lie or mislead, I don't see that, and again personally speaking,I would not work at some place who I felt did that to me or someone on my team.

2. Anit - Union Statements by the Company - there is a process in place for employees who want to be represented by a union. The company is just sharing our feelings that we don't think having a third (3rd) party in between the leaders and the team is a wise thing.

As we have gotten larger in the past many years it is more difficult to communicate to team members thru out five (5) state service terminal network. We are looking at doing three (3) different improvements this year:

1. We have improved our monthly newsletter and mailing it directly to each team member's home.

2. We believe there are many questions that team members have that don't get straight forward answers so we have put two (2) different devices that will help those who want to get real answers:

- [email protected] - an e mail address where one simply asks a question and you will get a response

- 800-285-6254 Ext 10049 for those who don't want to type, you can simply leave a voice mail at that number and someone will get back to you with an answer

3. We hope to come out with a DVDs in the future outline what we are doing and why we are doing what we are doing. The first DVD was basically an introduction, the second one will be on the history, and the third one will be why we expanded the way we did.

David Vander Pol
Co - President
Oak Harbor Freight Lines

Thanx for the welcome; this is the first time I have used a website in this type of communication. My purpose in this communication is to attempt to explain some of the actions or unactions of the company.

David

Welcome. I guess that confirms the suspicion that management drops in on this board.

Communication is the biggest problem in this company and I am glad that you are trying to take steps to improve it.

The next is finding, hiring and keeping managers that reflect *your* values to the employees. If there was one thing that was shouted to the rafters in the meeting with the consultant in PDX Thursday was that.

Personally I don't think the company intentionally spreads lies but certainly stretches the truth. Maybe a new labor consultant is is order? But in fairness the union paints the picture their way also.

I just started on this about a week or ten
(10) days ago - from a suggestion from a driver who I don't even know his or her name, and I really don't need to know.

If this is a private party, I don't want to crash.

Good leaders, just like good team players are difficult to find. We have made some adjustments to our leadership and will continue to do so to make sure we are moving ahead in our game plan. The game plan is to succeed in our business so there is a business in the future for all concerned.

David

davidvp said:
If this is a private party, I don't want to crash.
Dave,
You're not crashing a private party. You are always welcome here.....there will be some back and forth and opinions will differ, but we make every effort to allow the members to engage in sensible debate. It's not always easy, and this topic is a hot one right now at other LTL Companies too. Again, your input is welcomed here.

Glad to see that at least some in management are willing to roll there sleeves up and get dirty with the rest of David. Welcome to the boards Look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome David !

I also would like to extend my welcome to the boards VP David as Boats said ''You've earned respect just showing up on the boards''. Most of the time people from general offices and center managers will just look and hide and try to figure out who is getting the hand frt. the next day. Really glad to have you here posting.
Smokestack / FXF MOD :USA:

Welcome David, Maybe you can get your brother Ed involved as well. IT would be good to have you both aboard with us. Communications is so vital to all of us and also having him involved.

You have my thanks and my rspect for following through with the sugestion of you coming here and seeing what your employees have to say, hearing our thoughts and feelings and actually talking to us.

Please stay with us and keep communicating with us...

Great job David.

truckenjoe

Too funny! But I gotta call BS.
The family is so busy that they have to
put out a DVD but they have time to go
on here? David if it's you,you are welcome here.But,why was the company bashing
the Western Teamsters Pension in LA?
You seemed to have forgotten to tell
those employees that the Teamster
agreemnet is under a multi-employer
trust.Let's see,OHFL is one company,
The Western Conference of Teamsters
has nearly 5,000 companies under it's umbrella.You cut back the company employees contributions from 15% to 12%
pre 2002,You being the company should be honest with your employees,I talked to all kind off non-union employees who were'nt even aware that the cutback on 401k's even happened.I certainly don't buy your rhetoric,and how many people are using this "ask the boss".com?

freightpunk said:
has nearly 5,000 companies under it's umbrella.You cut back the company employees contributions from 15% to 12%
pre 2002,You being the company should be honest with your employees,I talked to all kind off non-union employees who were'nt even aware that the cutback on 401k's even happened.I certainly don't buy your rhetoric,and how many people are using this "ask the boss".com?

First of all attacking and being so negative isn't the way to handle any of this. Or calling anyone lairs. Or name calling that is just so childish. If you aren't happy with the company why work for some you believe lies to you and is not honest. Every one makes mistakes and no one is perfect. But I give David and Ed a lot of credit they are trying to open up with communicating with us and coming on this site is one way to do it and the DVD is another. This is just starting to get off the ground and it will take a lot of hard work communicating from them to us and us to them... so give it a change stop being a negative and a attacking person and lets all work together to make communciation work for us all.

freightpunk
There is no need to act like a 4 year old that got his Pez taken away. Treat others with respect and you get respect in return.

Communication is important and part of the reason these forums exist is to hopefully provide a non threatening way of doing so. An exchange of ideas and opinions and debate.

truckenjoe said:
First of all attacking and being so negative isn't the way to handle any of this. Or calling anyone lairs. Or name calling that is just so childish. If you aren't happy with the company why work for some you believe lies to you and is not honest. Every one makes mistakes and no one is perfect. But I give David and Ed a lot of credit they are trying to open up with communicating with us and coming on this site is one way to do it and the DVD is another. This is just starting to get off the ground and it will take a lot of hard work communicating from them to us and us to them... so give it a change stop being a negative and a attacking person and lets all work together to make communciation work for us all.
Spoken like true company men! good for you,
i'm sure your really helping the plight of the union men and women of the company.I would guess you believe everything they tell you right off the bat as well.Don't worry Truckin' Joe,we'll take care of you,we can't provide you anything after you retire but oh well,just sip on this nice glass of kool-aid.There there,it's OK.

SevenOfNine said:
freightpunk
There is no need to act like a 4 year old that got his Pez taken away. Treat others with respect and you get respect in return.

Communication is important and part of the reason these forums exist is to hopefully provide a non threatening way of doing so. An exchange of ideas and opinions and debate.
What are you talking about? I stated facts buddy! I could care less if someone on here doesnt respect me,I did'nt know OHFL had a terminal in Michigan? So don't attack me,I will keep on pushing my opinion,like it or not.

My Oak Harbor

Well lets get this going in a way that we can get answers, First off Henry built a great company all our hats are off to him. In retrospect David and Ed have grown the business in leaps and bounds. Job well done to survive in L.T.L west coast operations. Now that the cu-dos have been handed out heres a tougher question with a explanation as to why the question in the first place. After almost a year of drivers saying we have too many single screws management finally agreed and went into buy twins mode. Nice trucks! Except for a few unanswered questions. First question being if we buy a extra axle to haul more weight why cut the power so the unit wont pull a heavy load efficiently? Question two, we as drivers know the tractors got better fuel mileage by far at factory spec. It was discussed by drivers who drove the equipment before being de-tuned.They also pulled better. We as drivers are put at a disadvantage by being asked to do more with less. Don't miss understand me the O.H.F.L fleet matches up with any on the west coast for driver friendly operation.But when management wants maximum performance from every driver and I wont say thats a bad thing,as it dose have a positive impact on the bottom line, shouldn't the support group be giving the blue collar worker every advantage possible to make profitability happen?This is my beginning line of questioning

Welcome, David... this is a great place to share ideas, criticism... banter back and forth a bit. Stay. Enjoy.

davidvp said:
"...Someone from the Oak Harbor team identified this forum as a possible communication with some of our team who use this regularly..."

Yes, I've heard Roy the Portland TM is pulling in stewards and interrogating them as to their knowledge of this site and the identities of those who post here.

How very like Roy. Can you say W-I-T-C-H-H-U-N-T, boys and girls? I guess strong opinions aren't appreciated anymore... (sigh)

davidvp said:
"...1. I find it a little difficult to respond because of the tone that I read in this note. I personally would not work for someone or some place that I felt purposely lied to me or to my team. Oak Harbor is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, the leaders of Oak Harbor make mistakes everyday but to purposely lie or mislead, I don't see that, and again personally speaking,I would not work at some place who I felt did that to me or someone on my team..."

Well, I don't know what to tell you. This is a forum where opinions and ideas and criticism run rampant, so either you can handle it, or you can't. I've had to sit through my fair share of meetings at this company and others where I wasn't exactly happy with what was being talked about or felt my input was being received well, but then, I didn't have a choice did I? No mandatory meetings on this site.

As to the comments about purposely lying or deceiving, I again turn to the anti-union propaganda you are spreading around to the many terminals which are trying to unionize. You have made blatantly false or misleading statements. I talked to a guy I know in Eugene a while back, and he is still steamed how you lied to his face about how the union supposedly left money sitting on the table at the culmination of the last negotiations, i.e. the retroactive wages.

Let me set the record straight: the money was not left on the table, it was converted to pension, which was a much better deal for us anyhow. This gentleman (and he is apparently not alone in this opinion) felt that they were flat-out lied to for the purposes of making the union negotiators look inept. Nor is this the only example of half-truths thrown out there by the management of this company.

I remember that in Bend and in Eugene, there were comments made about how "the Boise employees were very unhappy with the union after having voted them in", when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

Funny how you could only scrape up one guy from Bend who had something bad to say about the union, even though this guy never once joined the union in the whole two years they were union, and was doing everything he could to get the union out the whole time. The whole thing backfired anyhow because even the anti-union employees in Eugene couldn't stand the guy.

The fact of the matter is, if one wanted to work somewhere where management was perfect and never lied or played games or whatever, one would have to go to work for himself, because that animal doesn't exist, and never has.

Sorry for the cynicism, but that's many, many moons of experience talking...

davidvp said:
"...2. Anit - Union Statements by the Company - there is a process in place for employees who want to be represented by a union. The company is just sharing our feelings that we don't think having a third (3rd) party in between the leaders and the team is a wise thing..."

Hmmm... Funny how none of the union terminals that have been union for a while now share that way of thinking.

However, it's the misrepresentation, the half-truths, and the flat-out propaganda that has us all up in arms. We've all seen it and heard it. The videos. The letters. The face-to-face meetings where you have told us that you and the rest of the family would be personally offended if we were to go union.

Well, sir... I'm personally offended that you would say that to me. How 'bout them apples?

The union side of this company has a superior pension, medical benefits and better work rules than the non-union side. We all see that. We all want that. And all of the propaganda in the world will not change the facts.

Numbers don't lie, David. Management does.

As to the whole third-party concept... you just don't get it... do you? There is no third party out there standing between you and us. WE ARE THE UNION! Every single Teamster in this company is the union! We simply prefer being able to negotiate for our supper rather than having you dictate to us what you feel we are worth. And I do not doubt for a second we have gotten a better deal because of that fact.

How about the fact you use a third party to negotiate with the union employees! Bob the retired Teamster milkman? Remember him? Or next time is it to be Mr. Paine, otherwise know in certain circles as the Coming of the Apocalypse? I shiver in anticipation and unholy dread.

I can tell you this, though. We will see this company fully organized, and sooner than you might think. Or fear. It is going to happen, and I highly suggest you get used to that concept, because it's coming like a mighty wind...

davidvp said:
"...As we have gotten larger in the past many years it is more difficult to communicate to team members thru out five (5) state service terminal network. We are looking at doing three (3) different improvements this year..."

Great! Too bad it took a lot of terminals trying to go union to get this whole thing going, but I do applaud it. Just remember though... cynicism runs deep in this company. Talk is great, but without action, it is meaningless.

You know something, David? I really like this company, and I want to see it grow and prosper. I just don't want to grow on our backs like it has since we left Master Freight in '85. remember that? When you dad came to us and asked us to give him concessions so he could survive? And so we did, and ever since, we have seen our wages stagnate while the company and profits grew and grew and grew.

David, we both want the same future for this company... we just have different visions on how to get there. In the end, the truth will win out.

Of that I have little doubt...

freightpunk said:

A couple of points should be made about the company's pension plan. We feel it is superior to that of the Western Conference Plan for one main reason:

1. There are few guarantees in this world, but one (1) of them is death. We all will die, our spouses will die. With the Western Conference pension plan once the employee dies and their spouse there is no more benefit. Under the company pension plan that money invested for you by an outside company is yours to do with what you wish, you can give it to your children or give it to a charity. There is something to give if you don't spend it all.

2. Secondly the writer alluded to the cut in the percentage of what the company contributed to for our non union people. There was no cut for anyone. Those that were on the plan prior to a certain date continue to get 15% put into their plan as they always have, new employees after a certain date were told when they were hired that 12% was given. No cuts were ever given. I would suggest getting your facts straight.

David Vander Pol