Holland | Any Changes For You Since Vegas?

Benny Hill

I'm Back (kinda)
Credits
The TM is forcing everyone off the clock by midnight, he says its coming from higher up, no matter if all local work is done or not. The dock is closing down around 11PM and then the yard work to be done is worked until midnight and then we're told to hit the clock. It goes against our local work rules but they are doing it any way. Paper has and will be filed each time it happens. They know they will have to pay in the long run but in the short run I guess they are saving a little money for now by sending us home. Is any body else having this or anything else new happening at their barn? It all started Monday night.

Why aren't you guys done by 2300?

The Michigan Terminals are home by 2130....Lets get it down the road and provide Holland type Service.

Maybe the reason Louisville has all the layoffs is they can't get closed.

Why aren't you guys done by 2300?

The Michigan Terminals are home by 2130....Lets get it down the road and provide Holland type Service.

Maybe the reason Louisville has all the layoffs is they can't get closed.

I think you better check the bill counts between the two terminals. And also the size of the terminals, there is a lot of factors that may contribute to the later closings. Just a thought, I don’t know the answers either but I would not compare our close times with anyone else’s with out proper statistics. Erie closes on average around ten to ten thirty with forty doors. Bill count is up now also, not sure what it has been lately. Hey Benny you guys doing any relay freight??
:smilie_132:

I think you better check the bill counts between the two terminals. And also the size of the terminals, there is a lot of factors that may contribute to the later closings. Just a thought, I don’t know the answers either but I would not compare our close times with anyone else’s with out proper statistics. Erie closes on average around ten to ten thirty with forty doors. Bill count is up now also, not sure what it has been lately. Hey Benny you guys doing any relay freight??
:smilie_132:

No, thats why we have people laid off, not much relay at all. We did have 700 to 900 bills a day but (Billy) Mr. L. took that away. Its not us as far as not doing our share of the work. Its the management on the upper end playing the games for what ever reason. We are an eighty door terminal with between 800 to 900 inbound bills and between 600 to 800 outbound bills per day right now. We have 96 men on bid. Sometimes it goes great and sometimes we just don't have the equipment to get out on time. Most nights we have to unload most of the freight and then reload it from the dock after making empties. Our local work rules are as good as anyones out there and they want our local to give them up so they are playing games to try to pressure us in to giving them up, but thats not going to happen. They are violating several things just because they want to and then we file and they pay us. I don't know if they are trying to show us how deep their pockets are or its some other reason. We are the victims not the bullies, at least this time. They keep telling us everyone will be called back by April 1st but who knows for sure. Its hard to figure out what they want when they don't seem to know themselves.

By the way the dock goal is to be shut down by 1030PM and most nights we are. The problem is we have work rules here that state that all yard work is ours to do and they want to take that away and we won't let them. As long as the terminal is open and any of the below listed work still needs to be done, we have the right to drop and re-hook all arrivals, placard all Has-Mat loads and clean all non Has-Mat loads, pull all powered loads away from the dock, do all moving of trailers in to and out of the dock, load and unload all drops and put any fuel or fluids in to equipment. I'm sure you get my point without me listing anything else. Now they are sending us home at midnight regardless of what work remains to be done. They are having road men doing our work in direct violation of the agreement and they have and will be paying for these violations so it just doesn't make any sense to us.

Stimpy, I hope this gives you some ideal of what we are going through here at the present time, wish us luck.

Thanks for your support!

We have the same work rules as you guys, but it is for dang sure you guys are a lot bigger. More bills, more drivers, that’s great. Yes I do wish you guy’s good luck, and get those grievances in to protect yourselves. The new thing for us lately is the installation of security cameras, they told us it was a wire for an antenna to enhance the Nextel phones.

Also I would think a teminal like Louisville has some long pedal runs 90-100 miles. If you look at Michigan they have 8 terminals in the state and some pretty close together. Look at Ky there is only two with help from a couple or neighboring states. This has a lot to do with a later closing to a lot of stem miles for city drivers to cover.

Also I would think a teminal like Louisville has some long pedal runs 90-100 miles. If you look at Michigan they have 8 terminals in the state and some pretty close together. Look at Ky there is only two with help from a couple or neighboring states. This has a lot to do with a later closing to a lot of stem miles for city drivers to cover.

Thanks JJ, I forgot to add that point. We have several.

long peddle?

I worked for red star I now work for holland in wilkes barre PA. THIS IS NO LIE. we had a peddle run out to st marys pa. it was a 160 miles to our first stop usualy 10 del. 6 to 8 pick ups. i would usualy stort at 900am and get back at 1100pm. at this time our road men would be there i would ask them how many miles they had last night. i would say between 400-500 miles. i usualy had over 500 miles on that peddle. thank god thats over with.if you dont belive me ask some of the guys that work out of our duboise terminal. they know where st. marys is.