Any drivers out of the Chicago area?

Discussion in 'US Foodservice' started by Mike432, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Mike432

Mike432 Well-Known Member

If there are any could you please PM me ...

2. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

I wish I could help you Mike, but I'm out of the hillbilly state, I know the USF drivers that I deal with are the best of the best, I'm sure CHI is the same, wish I could help....

3. drewcarr1

drewcarr1 Member

I wanted to try food service but after seeing this video...my whole body hurts....this ffood service stuff aint no joke!!!!

YouTube - UsFood Tough Delivery

4. drewcarr1

drewcarr1 Member

5. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

You get used to it, really you do, then it becomes just another day.

6. drewcarr1

drewcarr1 Member

Grocery thrower yu r my hero...thats tough work...i sure hope yu dont get alot of deliveries like that...

7. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

I have a few with stairs but not many, all of mine the product goes down the stairs, except for a school, they have a dock but its stop #1 so all the freezer has to come out of the side freezer door, then up the stairs, its not that bad, I just load the wheeler light, no since in hurting myself over getting in a hurry.

8. Mike432

I've done alittle of this before . But. It cann't be any worse than doing 90 to 100 stops a day .Granted the freight was mostly light , a box here envelope there . But I tell you that the 90 to 100 stops a day was interesting at times ...

9. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

I never understood how you guys got that many stops a day, I have 21 for tomorrow and I am already dreading it, I have a bunch of stops and cases, I don't mind the cases but about 14 stops is all I want, PFG just keeps pileing it on though, even though your freight was light waking up knowing I would have 100 stops would drive me insane!!!!

10. drewcarr1

drewcarr1 Member

Well i used to do that 100 stops deal..workin for airborne express /dhl till i was recently laid off...I think food service is harder...having to pull that hand truck up stairs and that raamp has to tear your knees up..Its less stops in food service but they are more involved and more physical...so hats off to yu food service guys...now if i can just get some one to hire me out of cdl school that would be perfect...

11. Mike432

dr5169,
    I tried to Pm you. You're box is full . Please PM me ...

12. double r

double r Dock delivery expert

Hey GT, I will give you my last two days routes.
    Tuesday-9 stops, 711 cases
    Wednesday(today)-7 stops, 789 cases.

Which one would you like?:1036316054:

13. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

I would take the 9 and 711, but its kind of a toss up, 2 less stops or 78 more cases, I would have to break down the pay and I'm to lazy right now to do it, either way it beats 21-24 stops and 750 cases. I am working good though, for that I am blessed, now don't get me wrong, I'm super glad to have my work, its just about personal preference is all, a perfect day in my world would be 600 cases and 14 stops, no more, no less.

14. double r

double r Dock delivery expert

Should have took the 7 and 789. And here is why:
    The 9 and 711 has a stop, the first stop to be exact, that ranges anywhere from 140-220 cases, ALL HAND UNLOAD and you have to use a elevetor to get the product upsatirs. Sounds easy right, stay with me here, most of those cases are #10 cans, 6 to a case. Oh, did I mention that you have to wheel the load UP A HILL to get to the front door? And start at 3:30AM(but you are done by 10AM, well, I am) Now, the rest of the stops were all docks, with the exception of two. Total hand unload for the day. 173 cases(first stop was only 143 cases)

The 7 and 789:
    Four of those stops were docks. Total hand unload for the day:34 cases. Yup, only hand unload 34 of those 789 cases.

Tommorrow(thursday); I know I got 11 stops, only two are hand unloads. Not sure of the case count yet. Did I mention that 7 of those stops are in WV? In areas were there is no phone service(and indoor plumbing:biglaugh:).

As for the perfect day, well, I that would be my thursday route(for now). 11-13 stops, only two-three hand unloads,240-260 miles(depends on the stops) and an average of 600-700+ cases. Draw back; the route is in no where WV.

15. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

Dude, I forgot you were doing dock stops, as for the 6-10's, we do comodities, mostly 6-10's and heavy meat/frozen, uphill is not a problem, every stop is a challenge, as you know I have no dock stops, there is a different challenge with every stop, I still mantain I wish for 600 cases, 14 stops, all hand unload.

You have payed your dues, its nice to hear your at that place where you can relax a little, every one needs that, my day is Wed., today I started at 0530 had 585 cases 15 stops and got done at 1300, it don't get no better than that!!!!!

16. Mike432

Well , You're on that . On my package car route . I'd have between 150 and 175 pieces.
    Keep in mind that between 6 stops I might have as many as 75 pieces alone .
    Some office buildings with maybe 2 or 3 stops in them .Maybe once or twice a day would I have to use my 2-wheeler .I'd start at 0630 .I would leave the building till 815 or so .I could sometimes do 45 to 50 stops before noon. Then I'd have the rest after lunch.
    Sometimes 45 to 50 more . There were sometimes I had 65 or more to go in the afternoon.Like I said before most were houses .All I had to do walk or run the package up to the door and run back to the truck.

17. Moneyman01

Moneyman01 Proud to be a dad!

I'm so glad i dont have stairs. i just pull the pallet off with a electric pallet jack and use the liftgate. gotta put everything a way but atleast no ramp or stairs. still gotta 2 wheel tho.

18. rowdy

rowdy Active Member

I sure don't miss those day's. It was fun when I was young and I met alot of good people but the fun took it's toll on the body. The router we had believed in 10lbs. in a 5lb bag if you know what I mean. Floor to the top and all the way back. CUBE CUBE CUBE!!! I had one country run that had 24 stops and averaged 1100 to 1200 pieces and then a backhual. It was a layover run but all the stops were made the 1st day. I get tired just thinking about it. When I first started in the grocery business we did not have air conditioning,power steering,or even ramps,but you did have am radio! You might have 18 or 19 stops and 700 to 900 cases and handle everthing twice. My hat off to the grocery drivers.You are a special breed. Enjoy it while you can, but not so long that you regret it!:thumbsup:

19. Mike432

I'd even take my small package stuff back, But I was one of many that got laid off from DHL,So now I'm looking for a job. Everyone has to EAT ,right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Dirty!

Dirty! New Member

You guys got it all wrong. Fewer stops+more cases=more money, for SUCKO anyway. Today the gave me a brake 8 stops 600 cases. the first 350 went to my schools and the last 250 were all 6-10's 100 ketchup and 152 pork and beans to a BBQ joint. I got lucky and only hadt to roll it to the back of the truck and did it in 45 min. . Lets see here 21 cents a case times 252 cases equals $52.92. Divide that by 3 and multiply times 4 (to get the per hour breakdown) equals $70.56 an hour.

Dirty