Estes | Any info please

popo

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello I was thinking about making the switch from ABF to Estes. At ABF I'm only working about three days a week do to the hog board and lack of frieght. I was wondering if any one could give me any info to help me make my desision, like does Estes work you steady? And pay rates and any thing else that may help.
Thanks alot

popo said:
Hello I was thinking about making the switch from ABF to Estes. At ABF I'm only working about three days a week do to the hog board and lack of frieght. I was wondering if any one could give me any info to help me make my desision, like does Estes work you steady? And pay rates and any thing else that may help.
Thanks alot
Popo, it really depends on your own lifestyle, location and what you're used to getting paid for. I'm from the ex GI that was bought out by Estes. There are many good and many bad, just like any company. Just depends on what you're used to and what you can accept. Overall, the management style of responsiblity to terminals and employees is better, but on the other hand they seem to llisten to their employees less. Their overall pay structure is adequate, but again being ex GI, they took many of our perks that made us a leader in those areas. My suggestion is to look at their package and see if it is acceptable to you. They do keep on top of their equipment, most of which is newer models if not new. They run mostly Int'l back east and Mack out west. If you want, send me a private message (just click my name above and it gives you the option to send private message) and we can exchange more that would be best left private, i.e. specific location and terminal info. Keep in mind one thing, a consensus seems to be that the non-union companies like Estes are trying to drive wages and benefits down now in anticipation of having to raise them later because of the driver shortage and then additional shortage of HAZMAT qual drivers.

popo said:
Thanks alot
Popo, it really depends on your own lifestyle, location and what you're used to getting paid for. For the very most part, especially if you're in the western 12, you will work full time. We are short drivers and they are running alot of contractors. I'm from the ex GI that was bought out by Estes. There are many good and many bad, just like any company. Just depends on what you're used to and what you can accept. Overall, the management style of responsiblity to terminals and employees is better, but on the other hand they seem to llisten to their employees less. Their overall pay structure is adequate, but again being ex GI, they took many of our perks that made us a leader in those areas. My suggestion is to look at their package and see if it is acceptable to you. They do keep on top of their equipment, most of which is newer models if not new. They run mostly Int'l back east and Mack out west. If you want, send me a private message (just click my name above and it gives you the option to send private message) and we can exchange more that would be best left private, i.e. specific location and terminal info. Keep in mind one thing, a consensus seems to be that the non-union companies like Estes are trying to drive wages and benefits down now in anticipation of having to raise them later because of the driver shortage and then additional shortage of HAZMAT qual drivers.

Hey Gearshifter

Where you at driver? Mr. Viking, Jawn and I are still out here. Did DRIVERMAN/NIGHTDRIVER mgmt. sounding dude scare you off? Don't be afraid, just like a fly, comes around to leave excretion, you keep swatting and it keeps coming back -- just a minor annoyance.

popo said:
Thanks alot
Come to Estes if you want to work . We in the east are loaded with frieght especially on the extra board through the weekend. These GI guys are pissed because they took a slight pay cut but got a stable paycheck. Who knows if GI could have made it the way things are going in the industry these days. I am not trying to disrespect my Estes brothers in the west . I wish they would just chill and let this merger do its thing. In the east we top out at 49.75 cpm.

roadpig said:
Come to Estes if you want to work . We in the east are loaded with frieght especially on the extra board through the weekend. These GI guys are pissed because they took a slight pay cut but got a stable paycheck. Who knows if GI could have made it the way things are going in the industry these days. I am not trying to disrespect my Estes brothers in the west . I wish they would just chill and let this merger do its thing. In the east we top out at 49.75 cpm.
Roadpig, no disrespect intended please. But read my previous posting to popo. I don't believe it's all pissy. Just pointing out differences.

I guess I am going by what you ,(GI divers) had been posting in other threads. Yes for this thread it was not so "pissy". My apologies.

popo said:
Thanks alot
welcome to the boards and my answer is stay and work it out ABF has much more to give back later in life. Estes in the West to much turmoil going on right now. They only pay mileage no compensation for any delays in term. or on road. Do some research talk to your best buds do not make any decision that you will regret:smilie_132:

roadpig said:
If you only knew how much we did lose you would better understand why people are upset and leaving. Estes management believes we are spoiled we believe they are arrogant. :bgroovy:

Hello to all , just signed up on this forum . I am also thinking of coming on board with estes in the west working p&d . I am a little shaken after reading some posts . Does estes take one hour automatically for lunch for p & d .

rayd7 said:
Hello to all , just signed up on this forum . I am also thinking of coming on board with estes in the west working p&d . I am a little shaken after reading some posts . Does estes take one hour automatically for lunch for p & d .
Welcome aboard. They take 1/2 hour for lunch no overtime until after 55 hours. What else do you need to know :smilie_132: :bgroovy: :wavey:

The hourly start pay is 18.50 and tops at 22.00. does this sound ballpark across the board , or is this just in the west ? Recent health was changed to blue cross . Do you know what the cost is for a family of 4 ? Thanks.

popo said:
Thanks alot
Give it time popo, things will get better there.

rayd7 said:
The hourly start pay is 18.50 and tops at 22.00. does this sound ballpark across the board , or is this just in the west ? Recent health was changed to blue cross . Do you know what the cost is for a family of 4 ? Thanks.
Yes sounds correct top depends what terminal your at. As far as medical it's blue cross and it cost for everything 60.00 per week that includes life ad&d std ltd not bad. What are you comparing to.

odfl premium health and dental family of four 70 dollars every week . How does estes compare to od as far as working conditions ?

houston tx location start pay $18.45 top at 20.45 after 3 years no overtime no matter how many hours you work!freight is dead there have city p&d drivers running line haul on weekends!

rayd7 said:
odfl premium health and dental family of four 70 dollars every week . How does estes compare to od as far as working conditions ?
Can't really compare to OD, don't know enough about you. We're still comparing to GI. GI had it's problems, but it did lead the field in extra pay. As far as benefits payments, that's also hard. You may pay ten dollars more but probably have a lower co-pay, meds and better vision/dental.

rayd7 said:
Honestly I can't compare cuz GI was better than Estes as far as wage and benefits. So I feel that if you can work for someone else go for it:bgroovy: