ABF | Any results from the 7% giveback?

To me, simply comparing our hourly wage vs theirs is very narrow minded. A more accurate comparison would be to compare our wages AND the complete benefits package. I still think, ALL things considered, that we are among the best compensated companies still. Maybe no one has told you guys about our retirement plan? FREE medical, dental, and vision? Overtime pay after 8 or 40? Shouldn't EVERYTHING be included when comparing our wage vs theirs? Our retirement plan is amazing!!!

Give it a year or 18 months @ most. Then come back here & post on how wonderful our retirement plan was. Then try to convince everyone ABF wishes to continue to pay in to all the pension plans they have to by law. Good luck with that one. But you must mention without fail that if ABF runs ABF Freight in to the ground the largest debit listed in dollars in the filling will be the pension funds. Oh yea. One more thing. Don't forget to tell everyone that any pension fund liability or pension fund debit listed in the bankruptcy filing is a dischargeable debit. Then when 100,000 retired Teamsters are in line for work to replace that, what were your exact words, ‘retirement plan is amazing’ what will your quote be then? Just saying. Von.

AS for the BEGBACK money going towards discounting freight to get new customers it was never going to happen and abf didn't lie about it.
If you read the first proposal you would have seen that they said that the money would go into the company for expenses. They never once said that it would be used for discounting freight.

I can't believe that after two years we are still stuck on uniforms and the BEGBACK. We gave it to them and that is that. The battle was before the vote not after it. Now we need to save our retirements not where uniforms were made.

When I read these threads and see someone worrying about cintas or whomever delivering our uniforms and not saying a word about where our BILLIONS of retirement dollars went, I just shake my head in total amazement.

People we need to get our affairs in order. Everybody BITCHES about the ibt and I am one of them. But our real problem is that we are the root cause to all our problems. We as a whole have no BALLS. I have represented Teamsters for years and I can tell you the courage to fight and stand for a cause is all but gone.

How can a leader expect to take a bunch of scared weak men into a battle and ever expect to win. Like this nextgen he is a suck butt and will always be a suck butt. And people on this site ridicule him but for the most part when not behind a keyboard they are just like him at work.

I have traveled to many abf barns and it is almost a carbon copy of the one I was at before it. **** and moan and do nothing about it. We are the real reason that nobody has joined our union in part because of who we elected and how we turn and run when the going gets tough.

I have fought many battles and I am not sorry for any of them. I have taken my lumps and I have given some. But Brothers you have to fight for what you believe in or you are nothing but a door mat for abuse by your management.

For those that bitch about where the uniforms are made just look at where everything in your house comes from. REALLY!
And if you buy all American products why don't you try checking to see who the largest stock holders are in the companies that made those products.

American made what a joke. We gave the country to the low life's years ago. And the only way to get it back is to fight to take back our country. I don't mean a revolution I mean we have to say no to politicians that don't do their jobs. We have to invest our money in our country and really make American made a true statement.

So quit bitching and start fighting back face to face not behind a keyboard. YOUR ALWAYS HOPING BROTHER ALWAYS!

Case C-28-15 Uniform Grievance. August Executive session in Wilkes-Barre Pa. ABF's Point of Order on the original grievance was Deadlocked to the National Grievance panel in September. .....Apparently, the Company is taking it serious. The officers who bundled and piloted the grievances are taking it serious, too. Since they decided to make uniforms mandatory,....and decorate my body with clothing made from sweatshops in foreign countries,....so they could have walking billboards,...I and others decided we should have them live up to contractual language. This is not fighting them "face-to-face"?......We had an issue in our barn about whether Holidays are Voluntary to work, or whether the company could force you to work a Holiday.............That went right down to the wire where I took responsibility for a potential work stoppage,....and all that goes with that...That was a pretty contentious "face-to-face" meeting.........Management here is very well aware that I collected over 200 signatures for the Teamsters United.Org petition drive,.......I think we're fighting them.......Our Local has set up our own PAC fund.......We've never had so much attention paid to us from the local politicians before,......and this helps negotiating local contracts with municipal barns......we're fighting on the political front, too. The uniform issue, Brother Muler is just a little part of the mix,....one small battle in the war.....Yes, you're right that pretty much everything in your house is foreign made......How many small battles did we lose to get to this point? Many of us have been digging our heels in for years,.....and yes, ...it's tough to be the point man, when you look over your shoulder for the "support troops",...and they're far, far behind you.....I know you may think a grievance to hold the company to contractual language, in the uniforms issue might be a distraction,....and small potatoes, to boot,......But I'm afraid we're going to push that one as far as we can,......On principle, as it were......Appreciate the pep talk, Brother,....and, yes,.....some of us are fighting,.....besides bitching on the keyboard..

To me, simply comparing our hourly wage vs theirs is very narrow minded. A more accurate comparison would be to compare our wages AND the complete benefits package. I still think, ALL things considered, that we are among the best compensated companies still. Maybe no one has told you guys about our retirement plan? FREE medical, dental, and vision? Overtime pay after 8 or 40? Shouldn't EVERYTHING be included when comparing our wage vs theirs? Our retirement plan is amazing!!!
Unfortunately, Brother,.....That comparison works when the employees you're trying to attract are seasoned veterans of LTL freight,....which is what all LTL companies were hiring over the last 10 years....Those seasoned veterans are retiring,...in droves,.....and the companies have to attract a younger breed ,...one not familiar with LTL freight.....And the first question they ask is: "What's your top rate?".........They usually won't stick around for any subsequent questions about benefit packages, if they don't get the answer they like to the first question.

AS for the BEGBACK money going towards discounting freight to get new customers it was never going to happen and abf didn't lie about it.
If you read the first proposal you would have seen that they said that the money would go into the company for expenses. They never once said that it would be used for discounting freight.

I can't believe that after two years we are still stuck on uniforms and the BEGBACK. We gave it to them and that is that. The battle was before the vote not after it. Now we need to save our retirements not where uniforms were made.

When I read these threads and see someone worrying about cintas or whomever delivering our uniforms and not saying a word about where our BILLIONS of retirement dollars went, I just shake my head in total amazement.

People we need to get our affairs in order. Everybody BITCHES about the ibt and I am one of them. But our real problem is that we are the root cause to all our problems. We as a whole have no BALLS. I have represented Teamsters for years and I can tell you the courage to fight and stand for a cause is all but gone.

How can a leader expect to take a bunch of scared weak men into a battle and ever expect to win. Like this nextgen he is a suck butt and will always be a suck butt. And people on this site ridicule him but for the most part when not behind a keyboard they are just like him at work.

I have traveled to many abf barns and it is almost a carbon copy of the one I was at before it. **** and moan and do nothing about it. We are the real reason that nobody has joined our union in part because of who we elected and how we turn and run when the going gets tough.

I have fought many battles and I am not sorry for any of them. I have taken my lumps and I have given some. But Brothers you have to fight for what you believe in or you are nothing but a door mat for abuse by your management.

For those that bitch about where the uniforms are made just look at where everything in your house comes from. REALLY!
And if you buy all American products why don't you try checking to see who the largest stock holders are in the companies that made those products.

American made what a joke. We gave the country to the low life's years ago. And the only way to get it back is to fight to take back our country. I don't mean a revolution I mean we have to say no to politicians that don't do their jobs. We have to invest our money in our country and really make American made a true statement.

So quit bitching and start fighting back face to face not behind a keyboard. YOUR ALWAYS HOPING BROTHER ALWAYS!
It was even on their round table site that they were never planning on discounting their freight.

I can't believe that after two years we are still stuck on uniforms and the BEGBACK.
Many are still just waking up to the fact that they were duped. You and I know that they were being duped but they did not and they will continue to bellyache about it. We shall see how serious they are come 2018.
I and others decided we should have them live up to contractual language.
A contract is...after all a contract and should be adhered to. Uniforms might seem like small potatoes, and to an extent they are, but the principal of the fact that they made an agreement and now they are flat out ignoring and treading all over it we need to hold on to any ground we can.

Maybe you haven't seen the multiple threads and news items about the pension.....

One of the selling points of the giveback was that we could not compete with the other carriers. Has anyone seen an increase in freight from our competitors ? Our freight levels are flat, no new accounts from what i can see. We've lost some accounts, but have not taken anything away from the other carriers. Does anyone have a direct -"we got an account from another carrier because of pricing from the giveback " tale to tell ??? Do the salespeople have any good news to tell at your terminal ? Today i see "one more" stickers posted around the terminal- Most drivers only have contact with the person on the forklift. If you can talk to anyone in charge they will tell you that the freight is already set up and there is nothing they can do. any driver have luck securing other shipments? Where is the sales force ??
We've got a few new accounts in 086, long, hard to handle labor intense freight. if you know anything about the company ant their pricing then you know they will not discount to gain market share at a loss. Our inbound on time is 85%, outbound roughly the same.y we will not grow being the highest priced carrier with these service levels. My god , we pick up 450 bills in a city of 7 million people and we cant even get it all worked by 12 the next day. I realize that everything is not on a 48x40. Holland, 2 miles down the road averages 1200 a day picked up in the city and on the road by midnight

I also think it's funny that nary a word has been said about the ..."offer"...of purchase YRC CEO James Welch had made to ABF CEO Judy McReynolds during the middle of our contract talks. Somehow,...that meeting got......"leaked"....to DC Velocity magazine just prior to our contract vote. If I was a shareholder, ...and my first notification that the company was to be potentially sold to a competitor,.....was a ...."leak"....to an industry magazine,.....I think I'd be pretty upset. And,.....after confirmation of the tender offer from both CEO's,......somehow, in the following years,....ABF never again became a potential acquisition for YRC,....or anyone else, for that matter. You mean that after taking a cut-rate contract, and almost immediately showing a profit,....YRC executives would be chomping at the bit ,.......shareholders, too,........to make another offer of purchase? I've asked these questions to various VP's and managers that have come through our terminal,.....and the answer I've invariably gotten was that: "The market is full of vagaries and possibilities that a layman.....(...meaning, in this instance: a big dummy truck driver....)......could never understand the hows and whys of corporate purchases, and why it was..."good"... then, and not now. In other words: Sit down, shut up, you don't have the education to understand......A year before the contract ratification, ABF purchased Panther,......and where did that money come from? And,.....why was that good in a contract negotiation year, when potential Labor costs could've risen dramatically? And.....why wasn't an...."official"....announcement made when Mr. Welch offered to buy ABF?....instead of a....."leak".... to a magazine? And,........Of course,.........Where was Mr. Hoffa?...Mr. Sweeton?,....Mr. Johnson? As I've stated,....I'm just a Big Dummy Truck Driver,......but after 40 years, I've learned a few things,....and I am completely flummoxed as to why Mess'r's Hoffa, Sweeton, and Johnson didn't IMMEDIATELY throw on the brakes on the contract talks and tell the company no contract negotiations UNTIL the potential buyout offer is either approved or disproved......Kind of a waste of time to finalize a contract,...and a week later, have a new "owner" to contend with.....Plus,.......I don't know much,...but I think it would've made a great tool for putting pressure on the company to negotiate HONESTLY,.....instead of through...."leaks"....in trade papers,....that could potentially affect the outcome of contract votes.....But,.....I guess we live in a New Age now,.....where lies and deception are standard and accepted business practices,.....and that corporations disdain their employees so much that they can't bear to NEGOTIATE with them,....so they must use......"leaks"....to affect the contract talks..........Easier to Trick 'em, than to Talk to 'em....
brother, dont forget he lawsuit. always follow the money. the vacation wasnt even asked for in the first round. shortly after ratification the lawsuit went away

brother, dont forget he lawsuit. always follow the money. the vacation wasnt even asked for in the first round. shortly after ratification the lawsuit went away
One more thing, the vacation policy is probably the biggest roadblock the company has for attracting drivers.why would anybody come here for no vacation for 2 years when they can work at quik trip in climate control and have 2 weeks vacation after 1 year plus benefits. I know not as good as ours or the money but you get the point

One more thing, the vacation policy is probably the biggest roadblock the company has for attracting drivers.why would anybody come here for no vacation for 2 years when they can work at quik trip in climate control and have 2 weeks vacation after 1 year plus benefits. I know not as good as ours or the money but you get the point
That's right,....,you're trying to hire new-hires, new to the industry, ......not old laid-,off LTL drivers. They're retiring..........New hires nowadays don't want to hear how good your benefits will eventually be. Wilful corporate blindness, willfully ignoring the facts....

What are you smokin? My "Best" pension will be cut 56%. You must be a company stooge. WTF?