ABF | Any uniform grievance updates? I am sick of wearing this crap!

Anyway uniform grievance updates? I am sick of wearing this crap!
Get a note from your doctor outlining the skin irritation and discomfort as reasons that he/she recommends that you quit wearing them.

Sorry to inform you , Brother, ......but the piloted uniform grievances were shot down by the ERJAC committee.

The company filed a Point of Order saying that the grievances were inappropriate because the IBT ......."leadership".......had approved ABF's use of Art. 12.

Our grievances were about ABF's MISUSE of Art. 12......The Point of Order hearing was at a closed door meeting,......no B.A.'s or Grievant's allowed.

By the time we were informed of the decision of the panel,........apparently due to a "clerical" ....error , we were untimely to re-file the grievances. There were three Locals involved in this .

My B.A. is running for office on the Zuckerman ticket. He will be at the convention . When Mr. Hoffa starts bloviating about "bringing jobs back to America" he's going to hoist a big sign that says:. " B. S."

Just curious, what exactly are the issues with the uniforms?
For me they are just plain uncomfortable. The rest of the issue is that the contract calls for American made uniforms and these are made is third world countries. I know it sounds like a minor issue but the language was put into the contract and it is being ignored and even walked on by both the company and our 'union'. Why have the language if it's not going to be honored?

For me they are just plain uncomfortable. The rest of the issue is that the contract calls for American made uniforms and these are made is third world countries. I know it sounds like a minor issue but the language was put into the contract and it is being ignored and even walked on by both the company and our 'union'. Why have the language if it's not going to be honored?

American made would be sweet, good luck. I wouldn't want to wear that 3rd world rubbish either. Is wearing the uniform mandatory?

Get a note from your doctor outlining the skin irritation and discomfort as reasons that he/she recommends that you quit wearing them.

I did get a note from my doctor about 8 months before I was put on ‘no work' by my surgeon. Before my surgery. They were poorly tailored & in the summer time I do sweat a lot & do have an actual skin reaction from polyester. Most doctors will give you the note. Besides, if you have your ID clipped to your shirt, you would think the customer could figure out who you work for.

Last edited:
Does everyone @ all the barns get uniforms? Even the dock bids? If the dock bids get the uniforms, how do they put the uniforms over their freezer bibs or 1 piece freezer coveralls? Here is a thought; TM says you can't have other warm clothing covering up your uniform while working on the dock. The air temperature on the dock is 10 degrees Fahrenheit. How far in to your shift do you work before you go to the clinic before Hyperthermia sets in? Can anyone imagine Cindy Barr’s reaction to that kind of claim? 1 word comes to mind, DENIED. Von.

Art. 12 says American made, Union made, delivered by a Union vendor......."if possible ".....

Of course it's possible.........YRC is using Aramark,....a Union vendor with American-Made uniforms.

Art. 12 also doesn't segregate employees.......everyone, or no one ,......if the uniforms are made mandatory. ABF's initial paperwork called for "customer-facing" employees only to wear uniforms.........I can't find the word "customer-facing" anywhere in the contract.

The IBT is allowing them to play fast'n'loose with the contract . The Art. 12 language was supposed to boost and support other Union employees and help make their job more secure. Apparently Mr. Hoffa could care less about other Union people,........and ABF could care less about our values and standards.........and it's merely lip service when our so-called "leaders " talk about Bringing Jobs Back To America.

Does everyone @ all the barns get uniforms? Even the dock bids? If the dock bids get the uniforms, how do they put the uniforms over their freezer bibs or 1 piece freezer coveralls? Here is a thought; TM says you can't have other warm clothing covering up your uniform while working on the dock. The air temperature on the dock is 10 degrees Fahrenheit. How far in to your shift do you work before you go to the clinic before Hyperthermia sets in? Can anyone imagine Cindy Barr’s reaction to that kind of claim? 1 word comes to mind, DENIED. Von.
City only....

Anybody know if the UPS uniforms are laundered by the uniform company or the people who wear them?

In my area ......W. Pa......the uniforms are laundered by the provider........Cintas.......once again.

When we went to file the uniform grievances,.......our Local officers,.....who came from UPS,. were amazed at the Art. 12 language......... couldn't believe we had language stating Union providers and American-made uniforms.......with a Teamsters patch, no less........

They were impressed........and were thinking of contract proposals for next time around.......

But, then we lost that grievance........or, at least they connived to make sure it wasn't heard at ERJAC.......so now they know they won't have the backing of our IBT ........"leadership"........if they propose similar language in the next UPS contract.....

Where I'm from, the UPS employees can wear them home, and they launder them at home. Their uniforms are supplied by a company called Twin Hill.

The guys at the Union Hall were particularly impressed with the mandatory Teamsters patch on the uniforms. They want to propose that in their next contract.
They figure it would drive UPS management wild if they had to publicly acknowledge that their employees are Union.
Currently they do not have that language .

The guys at the Union Hall were particularly impressed with the mandatory Teamsters patch on the uniforms. They want to propose that in their next contract.
They figure it would drive UPS management wild if they had to publicly acknowledge that their employees are Union.
Currently they do not have that language .
Other than that bulldog that doubles as a hood handle UPS doesn't even have any truck manufacturers' emblems on their vehicles, I don't see a Teamsters patch in their future but they can try.