XPO | +anybody hear if the consession rumor is true at usf holland?

happycamper

TB Lurker
Credits
Rumors were going around our terminal this evening of USF going to their employees for a cut in pay to $18.00pr hour.PLz say is isnt true. If it wasnt for the teamsters we all wouldnt be able to share in the excellent pay we all recieve here at ConWay. We all know if one company does it the rest will eventually follow suit. We all know USF has been in the RED for some time now,so some sort of debt must be payed for. This is a train reck waiting to happen:TR10driving03:

Rumors were going around our terminal this evening of USF going to their employees for a cut in pay to $18.00pr hour.PLz say is isnt true. If it wasnt for the teamsters we all wouldnt be able to share in the excellent pay we all recieve here at ConWay. We all know if one company does it the rest will eventually follow suit. We all know USF has been in the RED for some time now,so some sort of debt must be payed for. This is a train reck waiting to happen:TR10driving03:

15% give back ... is what they want I believe .. it is not a permanent thing either .. it is a move to attempt to stay in the black ..

I wish them all good luck. Its a tough call. Take one for the team, so the team can stay in the game. I get that. Could cost a city peddle driver about $200.00 weekly. That alot in this ecomony especially this time a year. I feel for the paycheck to paycheck guy. This could do some damage,not as bad as being permenently out of the game though. Thoughts and prayers are out for those guys at USF.

What do you think would be better, a giveback or shrinking the workforce to a right size..?? They may be faced with that decision....YRC is in negotiations right now with the IBT for relief (what sort exactly, who knows) and USF is part of that conglomerate...I feel for them, but trouble is definitely at hand....for all of us...Jesus, I am getting tired of all the bad, I need to go to a shelter and feed the less fortunate on Thanksgiving, maybe make myself feel better about everything..

i work at npme,our o/r was 90 for the 3rd quarter, how would you liketo give up wages when you know your company is makeing money, to keep y/r from going broke.yes i know we're all one big happy family. actual amount of give back hasn't been officially been stated yet. 12-3-08 company and union meet to agree to something,so everything else is just rumor to than.

i work at npme,our o/r was 90 for the 3rd quarter, how would you liketo give up wages when you know your company is makeing money, to keep y/r from going broke.yes i know we're all one big happy family. actual amount of give back hasn't been officially been stated yet. 12-3-08 company and union meet to agree to something,so everything else is just rumor to than.

I know I would not want to .. especially if you know your company is in the "black" ...

I think I speak for everyone here when I say we wish you the best. Your company, the office workers, and most of all the drivers. We lost some good ones with the consolidations.

Im with ya allnightrain i no this to be a fact i work for npme also o/r of 90 in the third quarter and they want a give back. Yrc can kiss my butt

Our Conway leaders are watching this........er, salivating in anticipation. Imagine the opportunities that would avail. They could enhance our compensation some more.

Im with ya allnightrain i no this to be a fact i work for npme also o/r of 90 in the third quarter and they want a give back. Yrc can kiss my butt

Operating ratio: 2008 2007
YRC National Transportation 97.4% 95.7%
YRC Regional Transportation 102.2% 99.4%
YRC Logistics 98.4% 99.0%
YRC Truckload 111.5% 102.6%
Consolidated 98.8% 97.0%
I know this is a conway board but figured I would throw this in here to show that Yellow?Roadway was and is making money........please point out the ones losing money ......oh I do think it is the regional area...however I know new penn has always operated in the black and with great o/r

Talk about "pins and needles". What a sh*tty feeling to have to go through right now. Frankly, if I was one of those drivers, I'd very seriously consider looking for other employment, at least as a backup to what they have right now. I know it's tight out there and tough to find a job in the first place, but, what other choice do they have? It's most definately a game of survival at this juncture. The ones that get through this successfully are the ones that learn to adapt and navigate the current situation. Good luck to all.....

Mustangfan,
Remember that an Operating Ratio is revenue versus operating costs (labor plus overall expenses). It does not take into account existing DEBT. YRC spent dearly in acquisitions over the past few years. Acquisitions that have not had time to pay off before the economy (and LTL pricing) took a nosedive. They compounded that problem by using the last of their existing CREDIT to pay down some of that debt which did nothing but by them some time. If they were not in trouble, the union would not have spent 2 days this week negotiating with their leadership. Everyone, including the union, realizes that YRC is in a dangerous position that will not get better if something out of the ordinary doesn't happen quickly. God help all of their employees who have trusted their management to lead them in the right direction.

Operating ratio: 2008 2007
YRC National Transportation 97.4% 95.7%
YRC Regional Transportation 102.2% 99.4%
YRC Logistics 98.4% 99.0%
YRC Truckload 111.5% 102.6%
Consolidated 98.8% 97.0%
I know this is a conway board but figured I would throw this in here to show that Yellow?Roadway was and is making money........please point out the ones losing money ......oh I do think it is the regional area...however I know new penn has always operated in the black and with great o/r

FYI Yellow has a way of making things look worse than they are (good bean counters) USF pays a large sum of money to YRC weekly for administrtive fees,have heard several numbers $750,000 to $1,000,000 weekly for things USF has been doing on there own for years.

Teamster Pay Setting the Bar

I think its true that teamster pay has set the bar, but in reality the non-union status of successful regional carriers will only continue if they treat the employees well. Once the team feels they are being abused they are always free to organize and they will. A union, like a company, has to add valule for what they cost. If the companies see the value of the non-union work rule structure, they will pay the money and benefits its takes to stay non-union. Its very simple really. When the unoin becomes bloated and polictical it loses value and they become more concerned about the union as and end in itself (like the big 3) instead of the joint goal with a company for the success of everyone (owners, employees, and customers)