ABF | Anyone called back from layoff?

Freight's been building at 188 in VT both IB & OB- went in yesterday, and all but three of us were working. That makes 8 of 11, which is better that 6 of 11, which was where it was at last week. It's going to be real spotty for another month or so, until the phone really starts ringing. I don't have any real expectations until probably the end of Feb. Hopefully hit or miss until then. Jan is always dead.

That's life at the end of the line...

Sort of depends on where you are, everyone handles it differently. Up in the North Woods where we are in VT, they calculate what they need for manpower on a daily basis based on freight volumes, # of bills, etc. The word that I go by according to ABF, is the folks at Region 1 HQ in CT want us peddling 3 BPH/man (bills/hr), and loading OB around 7 BPH/man. They figure how many guys they need by doing the math. When they have it all figured, then the phone rings and screws it all up. ABF has more formulas than Einstein did - go ask your Supervisors...ours used to have to do all the math on paper by hand, but I think they've finally done away with that, because I haven't seen the sheets lately. Of course I haven't worked since 12/29...

It's not a problem when we're busy, but right now they layoffs are anywhere from 2-6 guys. But we're an EOL terminal out in the middle of nowhere up by the Canadian border, so depending on where you are, it's probably different. I'm suprised by the layoffs at the DC's right now, though.
I'm hoping that overall system volume doesn't drop off, or I'll be screwed at the bottom. A reduction in overall tonnage would be pretty bad for all of us that got hired based on max capacity...L O N G layoff...

I'm out of 462 a relay terminal between 034 and 042 I'm first to be called back on the layoff list. Luckily I was prepared for this. I seen on the Roadway board that there already starting to call back there laid off workers. Hopefully that is a good sign that freight levels are picking because I'm getting tired of doing the house work. I hope everybody gets back to work soon.

I'm out of 462 a relay terminal between 034 and 042 I'm first to be called back on the layoff list. Luckily I was prepared for this. I seen on the Roadway board that there already starting to call back there laid off workers. Hopefully that is a good sign that freight levels are picking because I'm getting tired of doing the house work. I hope everybody gets back to work soon.
I am with you brother I too am first to be called back, I am sick of house work.

Talk to you later I must get the load of wash into the dryer.
PS. did you see OPRAH yesterday?
LOL.

My dog is bored with looking at me, like I should be doing something else like working...

You'll be OK out there - how far east do you go? I'm not sure if our 034 freight goes thru 042, or if they drop in CT, and run it thru Albany.

Still not a lot of OB from us going West. Our big acct probably won't be really moving for another month, and not much from Plattsburgh/ North. Lot of clothes from Port of Montreal via NY, maybe people are going to stop wearing clothes?? :)

I was called Thursday for work through the weekend but not called back off of layoff. I was told it was just this week. I figure it was because of the end of the month or because they figured everybody was calling off for the Super Bowl. I hope it's a sign freight is picking up.

All but two of us worked Friday (out of 11).

They posted the list for Mon. and the next call is for me, so that is very promising for the first week of Feb.

I was called Thursday for work through the weekend but not called back off of layoff. I was told it was just this week. I figure it was because of the end of the month or because they figured everybody was calling off for the Super Bowl. I hope it's a sign freight is picking up.

Hey fr8muver, I wondered how far down the layoff list you were.
I talked to one of your Chicago drivers on the CB Thursday night and he said he thought one guy got called back in Lima.
Hope you keep working.

I'm back on the Monday board, so give me a yell if your out and about.

I am with you brother I too am first to be called back, I am sick of house work.

Talk to you later I must get the load of wash into the dryer.
PS. did you see OPRAH yesterday?
LOL.

Now that's funny :hysterical:
Not the being off work through. I can remember those days.

Hail the Mighty Freight Gods

Worked yesterday - sore today...

A big shout out to all who paid homage to the Great Dunnage Pile for those of us at the bottom of the heap!

First Monday, then Friday, maybe a Tuesday or a Thursday, and then...

"Any chance of getting a day off???:chairshot:

(Does anyone know where the master switch is to turn the freight on???)

Waiting for the phone to ring

Worked Mon & Thurs this week - waiting for the call today. And only the 2nd wk of Feb.!

(Waiting for the Sun, and fending off cross-border threats up North at the EOL...!):nutkick:

I'ts not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

:)

find that switch....

Worked yesterday - sore today...

A big shout out to all who paid homage to the Great Dunnage Pile for those of us at the bottom of the heap!

First Monday, then Friday, maybe a Tuesday or a Thursday, and then...

"Any chance of getting a day off???:chairshot:

(Does anyone know where the master switch is to turn the freight on???)
I think one of them other freight company had the switch i think they where playing with it they thought it was to turn on the lights at there place and they lost it they can't find it now.. now that someone lost the switch i have to clean my house now and the dog looks at me funny.............aug aug:chairshot: