FedEx Freight | Anyone seen new city trucks yet?

The policy for both city and road includes language like suitability for the job/run, maximizing resources, and supporting mileage goals, etc.

All things being equal, job class seniority rules.

City:

New city truck "assignments"
are to last until the unit reaches 4 years of age. 8 years of age for a re-class road unit.

Initial bid/assignment process is based on job class seniority

The policy only "requires" assignments (bids) for L units and re-class road units. A driver may elect to pass on bidding, only if there are more drivers than available city and/or re-class road units. Local leadership will then assign road units to those who pass, or do not have a tractor assigned.

Also, "local leadership and Transportation will make the best decision possible, based on factors such as length of peddle run, terrain, etc."

I can tell your from experience, H/R will generally support the local decision on the process, based on the above discretionary portions of the policy.

The policy for both city and road includes language like suitability for the job/run, maximizing resources, and supporting mileage goals, etc.

All things being equal, job class seniority rules.

City:

New city truck "assignments"
are to last until the unit reaches 4 years of age. 8 years of age for a re-class road unit.

Initial bid/assignment process is based on job class seniority

The policy only "requires" assignments (bids) for L units and re-class road units. A driver may elect to pass on bidding, only if there are more drivers than available city and/or re-class road units. Local leadership will then assign road units to those who pass, or do not have a tractor assigned.

Also, "local leadership and Transportation will make the best decision possible, based on factors such as length of peddle run, terrain, etc."

I can tell your from experience, H/R will generally support the local decision on the process, based on the above discretionary portions of the policy.
So then it sounds to me like they’re gonna start treating city trucks like they do they road trucks and assign them based on “potential miles accumulated” in order to maximize the life of the tractors...makes sense I guess

So then it sounds to me like they’re gonna start treating city trucks like they do they road trucks and assign them based on “potential miles accumulated” in order to maximize the life of the tractors...makes sense I guess
Can't say for sure if any of it is new. I do recall some of it, like keeping new truck assignment for 4 years, being old policy. It was several years ago when I had to question the process. H/R used the mileage clause as a reasonable factor in allowing brand new road trucks sit.

Can't say for sure if any of it is new. I do recall some of it, like keeping new truck assignment for 4 years, being old policy. It was several years ago when I had to question the process. H/R used the mileage clause as a reasonable factor in allowing brand new road trucks sit.
Sorry, I was taking what you posted and associating it with what @Purple Hammer had posted about them assigning city trucks “permanently” with regards to my “potential miles accumulated” comment...

Not sure about your or any other cemter but our road trucks usually spend a minimum of 5 years on the road then the rest of their life in the city until they reach a million miles..which usually takes longer than 3 years. Just over a year ago I was still assigned R9811...can’t remember exactly what year Volvo it was but I know it wasn’t a spring chicken...and I recently saw that truck being used as a spare in WMN so it was still in service on the road.
Saw R9811 again in CLT today...STILL being used as a road spare....

7NqSlbX.jpg

and still one of the best trucks on the road today IMO!!!

We are not getting new "city units" we just got a bunch of new 2018 petes that are to be dual purpose, road and city. Bam, theres your new city truck.
We do have some city tractors, little auto KW's with no air ride that break your spine when you drive them.

Our 14 year old city trucks are dying fast. Holes in frames, rotten cross members, etc.

We were told new ones were due in August to replace 8 of ours, but we have yet to see one.
Nope. Seen lots of other LTLs, to include NEW ones to our area, sporting brand new day cabs, but none at our barn.

Hopefully Sales is keeping up otherwise we'll be losing business.

Speaking of which, :) , everyday is like a freaking lottery when it comes to getting a tractor. We have NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not enough equipment to do the job. Shop is on overdrive trying to keep up.

FedEx Freight needs to STEP-UP and invest in new/additional equipment!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuesday, I reported to work to have a junior driver tell me that our supervisor wouldn't let him take a road tractor on a shuttle run. I made the mistake of asking why. He told me I wouldn't believe him if he told me.

I walked into the building and asked the supervisor why he wouldn't assign R15xxx to the run. He said it had just been downgraded from a trophy truck, because the #1 city driver received R23xxx. I asked why that mattered. He said he didn't know if R15xxx was a road or city unit and he wasn't authorized to dispatch a city unit on a 200+ mile shuttle run. I was temporarily speechless.

I recovered, and incredulous as I was, asked the 30 year supervisor if he knew what the "R" in front of the number meant. He didn't, and asserted that he'd emailed the SCM, who didn't either. The SCM then allegedly emailed the District manager and was awaiting the reply, about whether R15xxx was a city or road unit and could be dispatched.

I damn near blew up. "You have no idea what the "R" stands for? We buy two types of trucks, Local and Road. Local trucks have an L in front of the number. Care to guess what Road tractors have in front of the number?"

He shrugged his shoulders and said that no one had ever told him what the "R" stood for. He didn't know what the "R" was for. OMG! How stupid is the effen management???

After I was able to get him to realize the situation, he went on to tell me that he was afraid he and the SCM would look like idiots because of the emails they sent...told him "look in the rear view mirror, idiot is about five miles back and you're still doing triple digits on the speedometer."

My god, this is insanity.

ST

Last edited:
Tuesday, I reported to work to have a junior driver tell me that our supervisor wouldn't let him take a road tractor on a shuttle run. I made the mistake of asking why. He told me I wouldn't believe him if he told me.

I walked into the building and asked the supervisor why he wouldn't assign R15xxx to the run. He said it had just been downgraded from a trophy truck, because the #1 city driver received R23xxx. I asked why that mattered. He said he didn't know if R15xxx was a road or city unit and he wasn't authorized to dispatch a city unit on a 200+ mile shuttle run. I was temporarily speechless.

I recovered, and incredulous as I was, asked the 30 year supervisor if he knew what the "R" in front of the number meant. He didn't, and asserted that he'd emailed the SCM, who didn't either. The SCM then allegedly emailed the District manager and was awaiting the reply, about whether R15xxx was a city or road unit and could be dispatched.

I damn near blew up. "You have no idea what the "R" stands for? We buy two types of trucks, Local and Road. Local trucks have an L in front of the number. Care to guess what Road tractors have in front of the number?"

He shrugged his shoulders and said that no one had ever told him what the "R" stood for. He didn't know what the "R" was for. OMG! How stupid is the effen management???

After I was able to get him to realize the situation, he went on to tell me that he was afraid he and the SCM would look like idiots because of the emails they sent...told him "look in the rear view mirror, idiot is about five miles back and you're still doing triple digits on the speedometer."

My god, this is insanity.

ST
And these are the people that are supposed to be leading us foward into the future. kinda sad because you only have to be 2 ounces smarter than the freight and we as a company can't even get that right.