ANYONE working online??

I am constantly online. Yesterday my town lost a pole which was a block from the local ISP provider of everything. The pole was easy fix but booting a thousand of us back took 30 hours and scattered VOIP voice lines are still down. I used my tethered smart phone to get internet. My data plan allowed me to run at 3.2 mbit down and about 400 kb up which is extremely light speed compared to crappy DSL that lumbers along at 840Kb down and maybe... `110 up if that.

With the Covid we purchased a older think pad. just so the way we wanted it out of Levenko. Then got a keyboard, camera, mike, external drive and so on etc. Plus a laptop cooler for it and a few other goodies.

The older computer is going to be left as it is, a 15 year old dinosaur that has hundreds of thousands of Hours CPU time on it among other things. I am waiting on delivery of the replacement motherboard and all associated parts including updated virgin drives and so forth to put the new build into its own case. We probably will get another 15 years out of it.

With all of that combined with the main machine built 5 years ago which is also being added on and replaced with various parts this year its going to be a true monster. But that celluar wireless has allowed me to paraphrase, touch the face of God in it's speed faster than I can think and do. Makes the original DSL look really crappy. So.. if i am at work I will demand that unlimited data for cell. But not before. I can easily burn 600+ GB a month approaching one tera if no tmore routinely.

So if you tried to purchase data cards to feed THAT monster at work, you will quickly discover your employer will not pay you enough to be worth it.

That is the lesson here. There is no point in working for peanuts. You decide what you want to do with life and enjoy life. No longer do you grind out a soul crushing existance on 8.00 a hour or .14 a mile or less. Your life is not worth it. Not that it was ever worth it at all, life is cheap. If you are not happy then find a employer who can make you happy. If its online, so be it. Otherwise hit the big road with that 18 wheeler and roll.

I think 10 years from now I would be sitting here remotely minding a robot 18 wheeler through the night from my desk. Befroe that will be ok, you need fiber optic or extremely fast data connection. DSL wont cut it. You would be about .90 seconds to 1.7 seconds or more behind on current data and even more time behind in human decision making. Its impossible.

A trained 18 wheeler driver can recognize trouhle, react and if necessary get it stopped in just under 7 seconds. If I had to do a truck remotely, I would see it kill people and not stopping until after.

And so the tech comes around again up in sales as people finally work from home all over the USA. Takes Covid to kick us all in the butt to take time off, enjoy life and work from home for those of us lucky enough to do so.

I been trying to work from home, but for some reason I can get paid for the load I deliver?
https://americantrucksimulator.com/

Ive learned to enjoy those games with a grain of salt.

Its a form of ... a problem. When you consider the weather beaten hard working long haul trucker staggering home out of the truck after weeks or months in vile conditions and tyranny of time versus distance....

To play a video game based on getting a big rig from A to B. I am reminded of a hamster in a wheel for fun. Sometimes the hamster enjoyed the wheel so much that it becomes a tumbling problem within the too fast wheel.

To wit, video games have gotten really good in virtual worlds with imagery approaching if not exceeding lifelike if you were to suspend the idea that it is a creation. It would be wonderful to have optical processing of that type made small enough to replace the failed eyes of the blind as it were and give them new life. However would they want such a life having lived it in a world that they have built to suit their own needs?

Put it another way on a side track, if you had a deaf baby and are afraid of handicaps would you surgically implant a cochlear set without asking that baby after a certain age if he or she liked being deaf as God made him or her?

Gaming is a nice escape provided it takes away from your cares, worries and troubles in the real world for a little while. But I am very much on the fence committing a 40 ton or heavier big rig into say the GWB and the Cross Bronx in the height of a rush hour at night in bad weather. The random masses of people presents a very epic problem of risk management to get that Rig through safely without killing, hurting or damaging anyone, anything or yourself or the cargo.

That requires a human professional.