Anything good never last very long.

trucker_dad

TB Lurker
Credits
I work out of 6896(Johnstown NY.)
In the last few weeks,we have learned indirectly(not from management)that a new dispatching software will be put in place.
Effectively doing away with the local/grocery group.
All but the set-run and doubles will be dispatched as (Wal-mart).
I have,unfortunately, been experiencing changes that have not been making my life at Wally great.
I have only been here 4yrs.still a good job,but times were better.
Grass roots meeting are a waste of time.
Does anyone else see these changes?

I started in 04 and saw the changes and left in 2011. It used to be a great place to work when they would let us get out and run and now it bacame a struggle to get 450 miles a day, the only thing and i repeat the ONLY thing i miss is my schedule. I was on a 6/3 and loved those 3 days off. I guess i just got spoiled because nobody else anywhere gets that much time off.

Cracker I wouldn't ask Doug, he is a very negative Walmart driver. Like any job you make it what you want sometimes people forget what's out there. Good Luck and be patient the hiring process takes awhile I applied in August and start my orientation tomorrow.

Cracker I wouldn't ask Doug, he is a very negative Walmart driver. Like any job you make it what you want sometimes people forget what's out there. Good Luck and be patient the hiring process takes awhile I applied in August and start my orientation tomorrow.

Camisdad77
Your absolutely correct about making it what you want.I've been her only about a year and a half but for me it has worked out very well.

No job is perfect.Sure your going to expieriance frustrations, especially in the begining.But it will all fall into place.

Walmart has taken the time to hire expeirienced drivers that know how trucking works.They see value in our longevity and treat us with respect as a result.As we have all experienced in the past that is not always the case in our line of work.

Good luck to you.Be safe out there.

Lost Boy :shift:

Just curious, IF driving for wal mart is such a "great job", WHY are People refusing for reasons like:

http://www.truckingboards.com/forum...ybe-best-professional-driving-jobs-era-5.html
The WHOLE THREAD while the INTERESTING bits start at Post # 167:
I knew from the start that I would not have anything close to weekends off, but what kind of "killed" it for me was the (1) no set schedule for over a year, (2) no assigned equipment for up to 3 years and (3) they prefer that a 10 hour reset is done at the DC, even though I live about 15 minutes away from the DC.
(1) Reads like a Newbie hauling Mail, therefore, what's so "great" about basically being ON CALL for 1 year??
(2) Most Companies ASSIGN equipment at/after Orientation.
(3) Personal issue.

As stated at the top, just curious.
Thanks.
CHEERS!!

Just curious, IF driving for wal mart is such a "great job", WHY are People refusing for reasons like:

http://www.truckingboards.com/forum...ybe-best-professional-driving-jobs-era-5.html
The WHOLE THREAD while the INTERESTING bits start at Post # 167:

(1) Reads like a Newbie hauling Mail, therefore, what's so "great" about basically being ON CALL for 1 year??
(2) Most Companies ASSIGN equipment at/after Orientation.
(3) Personal issue.

As stated at the top, just curious.
Thanks.
CHEERS!!

I think in fairness, that I should clarify what I was told at the offer interview by "Jerry", the transportation manager. No "set" schedule means that while you would work, you would NOT have what WalMart calls a "bid". The days off would vary and for the first year you work at a reduced wage. They were upfront in that you would work all weekends and holidays. You would share a vehicle with up to three other drivers. I have no issues with them, it just wasn't right for me, but I do think WalMart is just becoming another "job". My friends that have worked there since the DC opened, do say things have changed pretty rapidly and not necessarily for the better. I like my personal life. And speaking strictly for me, a job driving for these people would have taken up WAY too much of it, so I passed.

I have only been here a little over a year and a half.I was in the first group of new hires in several years at Apple Valley.

Fortunately I was able to get into a 6/3 program from the start.

Since then they have been doing a lot of hiring.

Now I talk to the new hires and hear that they are on the extra board which works out for some but not for me.

So things are most definitely changing.However whatever the trasportation mgr tells you at hiring you can rest assured that it is the truth.That has been my experience since being with Walmart.They might not tell you what you want to hear ,but they will tell you the truth.

From what one mgr I was talking to told me, they want to create a more flexable pool of drivers so they will not have to use as many contractors during peak periods.

In the past they have kept driver staffing levels calculated for the slowest times of the year to avoid layoffs and work slowdowns.
As all of us that have been in the industry have experienced in the past,right after the first of the year the trucking buisness slows down and those on the bottom of the board don't work as much.

As I have not seen this so far at Walmart,It's going to be interesting to see if this new increase in drivers is going to change things.I sure hope not.Because so far my time at Walmart has been a positive thing for me and my family.

Anyway at this point in time it is only speculation.

Lost Boy:soapbox:

I have only been here a little over a year and a half.I was in the first group of new hires in several years at Apple Valley.

Fortunately I was able to get into a 6/3 program from the start.

Since then they have been doing a lot of hiring.

Now I talk to the new hires and hear that they are on the extra board which works out for some but not for me.

So things are most definitely changing.However whatever the trasportation mgr tells you at hiring you can rest assured that it is the truth.That has been my experience since being with Walmart.They might not tell you what you want to hear ,but they will tell you the truth.

From what one mgr I was talking to told me, they want to create a more flexable pool of drivers so they will not have to use as many contractors during peak periods.

In the past they have kept driver staffing levels calculated for the slowest times of the year to avoid layoffs and work slowdowns.
As all of us that have been in the industry have experienced in the past,right after the first of the year the trucking buisness slows down and those on the bottom of the board don't work as much.

As I have not seen this so far at Walmart,It's going to be interesting to see if this new increase in drivers is going to change things.I sure hope not.Because so far my time at Walmart has been a positive thing for me and my family.

Anyway at this point in time it is only speculation.

Lost Boy:soapbox:

And I see from Wally world's driver page that once again, they are recruiting for Apple Valley and Porterville (and Buckeye). That can't be good. They never hired before and now they are hiring several times a year ? I know at least 4 people that turned down offers from the Apple Valley DC. Being on an "extra board" is bad enough. Most drivers I know, that meet their qualifications, will not put up with being "extra help". If WalMart wants all these qualified drivers, they need to seriously rethink that strategy. They don't bring much to the table. As Stoney has said..."I could drive a Pete"...but not much else. Jerry did ask me why I was turning the offer down and I told him (and the 2 guys from Bentonville via Webcam) that time invested on the job (i.e. "living at a DC or on the road") did not seem worth it to me. Add in no bid, no assigned equipment, all holidays/weekends etc. No thanks. Seems to me that WalMart is killing the "golden goose" that attracted qualified drivers.

Cryotruck

If they had made the offer to me that they are now offering the new hires, I probably would not have accepted it myself .As I have said things have gone well for me here and I honestly have no major complaints.

I came from a job in the LTL world and had 15 years strap.But I'm glad I made the move.

As of right now things have not changed to make me feel any different.If they do I will be sure to post it here for anyone who is interested.

But as of right now ,as I previously stated all is good.

Lost Boy

Yes things have changed. Some things have to change just because of growth but over the las two decades things are taking a turn for the worst. Drivers are throw away items now. Latest thing is cell phones. Trying a new plan at four warehouses. 15% of drivers selected at random...must show three days of cell records for yyour phone. If you are talking more than one hour in your 11 hour driving period, talking in city traffic, school zone, in bad weather, etc...you are historys notation. It is checked against your gps for time and place. Favorite phrase now...if you dont like it, make a career move. Dont leave a teamster job for this...we may not have insurance here, thanks to Obama, but unions will. Driver firings are far more common now. No more profit sharing.

I made over 80K my first year, and that was working various programs etc.

It is very possible make 90K to 100K ur first year if you are serious about working.