XPO | Anywhere else short handed on help

Turn the Page

Let's turn the page back to better times
Credits
I'm just wondering if it's just our barn but we have had several dsr leave this year and have not been replaced. SCM said there is a hiring freeze. With vacations and drivers on light duty we are missing p/u, yet talking about getting more business. Anywhere else have this problem?

I'm just wondering if it's just our barn but we have had several dsr leave this year and have not been replaced. SCM said there is a hiring freeze. With vacations and drivers on light duty we are missing p/u, yet talking about getting more business. Anywhere else have this problem?

Some early morning P/D guys are having to do O/B dock at my barn when they get in from their runs. Why? cause most all part time O/B dock guys have quit cause they weren't getting any hours on a consistent basis. It is getting a little better lately. O/B super isn't keeping all P/D guys for O/B.

Related: SCM won't let guys take PTO's for guys that have booked summer time off that are no longer w/. the company.

When the customers start complain to you just make sure you have the phone number of the XPO corp office and then give them the number to there local YRC.

Yep. They are running it tight. May work, may come back to bite them in the ass.
It's already biting them in the ass at my barn, extremely late deliveries and missed pick ups. Our regional HR person told us about a month ago that all new hires must be approved by Tony Brooks himself. My barn has been approved for two temp dock workers. We need drivers.

Yup. We are splitting routes between other routes and struggling to get it done, or not getting it done. I think if I were an inbound planner I would be gone by now. It is ridiculous that they are expected to get the freight moved without enough guys. The customers are suffering, but if this goes on long enough, we won't have as much business anyway. We will be able to cover with less drivers. Maybe that's the idea?

I should mention that morale is tanking pretty bad right now too. It was okay there for a while, but not so much any more.

At my barn it seems that we went from over staffed to short in a week. We had one transferred to XPP and another quit. Have one L/H on LOA and got hammered with more freight and late freight on light days. A lot of 12 hours days for flex and inbound

It's already biting them in the ass at my barn, extremely late deliveries and missed pick ups. Our regional HR person told us about a month ago that all new hires must be approved by Tony Brooks himself. My barn has been approved for two temp dock workers. We need drivers.
It's becoming quite clear that Mr Jacobs and Mr Brooks don't have a clue how this LTL business works

The only "busy" I see is covering other terminals freight on linehaul. We are running one or two more than normal just to cover the vias into and out of the fac's. Add the earlier cut times for the outbound (a feeble effort to close fac earlier) and we "seem" busier. I don't think our tonnage is up in or out. We had one recent transfer in here to replace a retiring driver. That's it. I think it will be tight with vacations, but if we get busy, we may get into trouble.

We go from threads with titles of " where's our freight " to " is anybody else short-handed ". Either way it's all management's fault. I'll be honest I was afraid about lack of volume earlier this year but it has turned out to be just another crazy election year freight wise.

Yep. I wouldn't expect much pick-up in the volume until at least the first part of next year. From what everyone is saying, nobody is really swamped with freight right now, and have been a little below average all year.

We ain't busy. We have been so dead that people have gotten lazy and the slightest uptick in freight leads to Armageddon.
No matter what their politics are , the people that run the companies that generate freight are trying their best to wait out the election to see which way the wind blows before they make any big moves.