SAIA | Anzianita

You ok Train ?
Yes, I had a co-worker that ask me to address some seniority issues. So I typed out a long post in Italian but then decided to delete it. I rather not become involved. Some don't feel they are getting treated fairly in regards to start times in the city. I will keep my opinions off the open forum and keep them in the private mail format. Sorry, Brawler.

You must be talking about the new hires that don't want to put in the time . Think they should get an early start time in the city or get a 600 mile bid in line haul from the get go . Am I close ?

You must be talking about the new hires that don't want to put in the time . Think they should get an early start time in the city or get a 600 mile bid in line haul from the get go . Am I close ?
Pretty close. I tell the guys you need some whiskers to get those early start times. You must pay your dues. The problem is many guys concern themselves with what the other guys are getting. Guys in which they have more seniority but yet those guys still get an earlier start time. Start times are not based off seniority. They are based off productivity. I could care less what the next guy does. I just do my job and mind my own business.

Pretty close. I tell the guys you need some whiskers to get those early start times. You must pay your dues. The problem is many guys concern themselves with what the other guys are getting. Guys in which they have more seniority but yet those guys still get an earlier start time. Start times are not based off seniority. They are based off productivity. I could care less what the next guy does. I just do my job and mind my own business.
It's been over a decade since I was in the city, but we bid on start times by seniority. They are not doing that anymore ?

It's been over a decade since I was in the city, but we bid on start times by seniority. They are not doing that anymore ?
They only go by seniority for the senior level guys with assigned routes (8:30). Junior guys with less than 3 or 4 years come in when they are told. Junior guys can either bid 10:30 or 11:30 and are put where they want you based on your performance. They get you on the unassigned slots. I have no problem with the way they do things. They need flexibility to get the most out of the guys that are fast. Some just fall between the cracks with no way to ever move up. I could explain it more in detail but I will just leave it at that.

They only go by seniority for the senior level guys with assigned routes (8:30). Junior guys with less than 3 or 4 years come in when they are told. Junior guys can either bid 10:30 or 11:30 and are put where they want you based on your performance. They get you on the unassigned slots. I have no problem with the way they do things. They need flexibility to get the most out of the guys that are fast. Some just fall between the cracks with no way to ever move up. I could explain it more in detail but I will just leave it at that.
Personalmente non mi interessa se mi iniziano. Non e il mio lavoro per determinare cio che e meglio per l'azienda

Last edited:
If it's ok, I'd like to interject. The reason you aren't worried about the "other people" is that you are in the twilight of your career. That's wonderful. But trucking has changed since you started, especially in the last 5 years. Younger and newer drivers have a lot more power now that there is a national shortage of drivers, and only getting worse. The days of employers saying "if you don't like it, leave" are behind us. Good help is hard to find and even harder to keep.

You aren't going to like this, but I'm gonna say it anyway. IMO, it wouldn't hurt one bit to bump a senior guy, with the long term in mind. May keep a newer, younger driver. Just a thought. Fire away...

If it's ok, I'd like to interject. The reason you aren't worried about the "other people" is that you are in the twilight of your career. That's wonderful. But trucking has changed since you started, especially in the last 5 years. Younger and newer drivers have a lot more power now that there is a national shortage of drivers, and only getting worse. The days of employers saying "if you don't like it, leave" are behind us. Good help is hard to find and even harder to keep.

You aren't going to like this, but I'm gonna say it anyway. IMO, it wouldn't hurt one bit to bump a senior guy, with the long term in mind. May keep a newer, younger driver. Just a thought. Fire away...
Honestly, Buck at this point in my career I've seen it all. Nothing would surprise me. Let's be clear on this. When I speak of a senior guy I'm speaking of tenure. Not the age of an employee. I'm protected as an older worker by law. Age discrimination does happen. Would I sue if I was terminated? You tell me. What do you think? I'm older and a bit slower so if they what to fire me for being old. That's just the way it is. But before I would sue I would have to care. Do you think I care?

Last edited:
My point is made either way. You can have a 20 year man that is 63 or a 20 year man that is 43. Age discrimination cases are incredibly expensive to prosecute, and even harder to prove. I seriously doubt that you, or anyone else your age would waste their time/talents/efforts pursuing such a thing. Rather, you would just move on or retire. And there in lies a wrinkle. Would t be unheard of for this, or any, company to do such a thing to "fascilitate" the retirement of the older generation. May help with insurance premiums...who knows. Do I agree with it? Absolutely not. Is it a reality today. You bet.

My point is made either way. You can have a 20 year man that is 63 or a 20 year man that is 43. Age discrimination cases are incredibly expensive to prosecute, and even harder to prove. I seriously doubt that you, or anyone else your age would waste their time/talents/efforts pursuing such a thing. Rather, you would just move on or retire. And there in lies a wrinkle. Would t be unheard of for this, or any, company to do such a thing to "fascilitate" the retirement of the older generation. May help with insurance premiums...who knows. Do I agree with it? Absolutely not. Is it a reality today. You bet.
Bottom line for me is this. If they don't want me for whatever reason I don't want to be here. What's the worst thing this company could do to me? I suppose it would fire me. Do you think I give a ::shit::? As long as I have my health and the love of my family I have everything. I do a good job for this company. I'm in good health and cover only myself and I don't hit their healthcare. My wife has her own policy. I'm point free and accident free. If they want to cut me loose they will only hurt themselves. I will simply move on and won't give it a second thought. I am not a liability to this company. I am an asset. But I'm also expendable if they chose. And I'm OK with that. This is only my job. It's not my life.

Last edited:
Well said.

You can come and work with me anytime. Offer on the table.
Mi limito probabilmente andare in pensione. Ma e davvero bello sapere che ci si prende a bordo. Andro in Italia per visitare mio zio. Poi andare in pensione al mio ranch in Texas orientale e sollevare alcune mucche e polli. Forse qualche maiale troppo. Ho avuto una buona vita. Sono stata veramente benedetta.

Just practicing my Italian Buck. Anyway just telling you that I will just retire. And raise a few cows and other animals on my East Texas Ranch that I inherited from my parents estate after my trip to Italy to visit my uncle. And of course thanking you for your consideration.

Just practicing my Italian Buck. Anyway just telling you that I will just retire. And raise a few cows and other animals on my East Texas Ranch that I inherited from my parents estate after my trip to Italy to visit my uncle. And of course thanking you for your consideration.
Well fellow Saia drivers when we get tired of driving and ready 2 retire at least we can go work for runaway train on his ranch. That's makes him Ben Cartwright (Bonanza) and we his hired hands lol