SAIA | Anzianita

Well fellow Saia drivers when we get tired of driving and ready 2 retire at least we can go work for runaway train on his ranch. That's makes him Ben Cartwright (Bonanza) and we his hired hands lol
22 acres is far from the Bonanza spread. And Lindale Texas isn't Virginia City. My tractor will take the place of Hoss. But my children and grandchildren can help a bit. Honestly when I move there from my small place a little further west I will raise a small herd just like my father did. Not for money but for therapy. If I can just break even that will be fine with me. I love horses and the outdoorsy way of life. I will hunt and fish and finish out my life the way my father did. A non-pretentious man that had nothing to prove to anyone.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're Livin the dream. We should all be so lucky...after all Texas is gods country
In my mind Texas is Gods country but for many it's hell. Many hate Texas and could never picture themselves living here. As they say .... Home is where the heart is. As far as being lucky I would have to disagree. I worked my whole life to get where I am today. I was blessed to inherit some land from my parents estate but most everything else I have was earned through blood, sweat, and tears. Life is what you make it. Nothing more. Nothing less. Somehow I have always managed to make the most out of what I have. To be grateful for the little things. To fight away arrogance and learn humility. I can only suggest to you. To live a simple life. Be temperate in your habits. Avoid self-seeking and selfishness. Make simplicity the keynote of your daily plans. Simple things are best. Spend less than you earn. This may be difficult but it pays big dividends. Keep out of debt. Cultivate frugality, prudence, and self-denial. Avoid extravagance. Cultivate a yielding disposition. Resist the common tendency to want things your own way. Try to see the others person's point of view. Be interested in others. Direct your mind from self-centeredness. In the degree that you give, serve, and help. The by-product will be happiness. Happiness is an inside job. And make no mistake it's a job .... 24/7 .... Think constructively. Train yourself to think clearly and accurately. Store your mind with useful thoughts. Stand porter at the door of your mind. :soapbox:

Last edited:
Well fellow Saia drivers when we get tired of driving and ready 2 retire at least we can go work for runaway train on his ranch. That's makes him Ben Cartwright (Bonanza) and we his hired hands lol
Got your private mail Rider. I got a horse with your name on it. (Renegade) I would love to have you out anytime. Your always welcome and you know that. Thank you for your kind words. You are truly one of the only men I trust here. Some here just ramble and ramble. And would stab you in the back in an heartbeat. When you have been doing this as long as I have you can read a man with integrity. It's in his eyes. You my friend are the real deal.

Last edited:
Currently working on paying down debt so that I can be in the position to go elsewhere if need be. Think I may just have to get out of trucking altogether. Only been doing it 15 years and already sick of the BS mound that this industry has become.

Currently working on paying down debt so that I can be in the position to go elsewhere if need be. Think I may just have to get out of trucking altogether. Only been doing it 15 years and already sick of the BS mound that this industry has become.
I'm in the position to leave now if I wanted. Just adding more apples to my basket. Been doing this 42 years and things have changed dramatically but it has enabled me to retire comfortably when the time is right. With only an associates degree that I recently got from some online classes my education level never allowed me to move up much. Overall I can't complain because I've made some good money over the years and have invested wisely. 20 years ago I said the very thing you are saying now but yet still I'm here. Too late for me but it's not for you. Getting debt free is the key if you want to try something else. I've never been a pretentious individual and never felt the need to buy a 30-60K pickup. That's just one example why I'm sitting pretty today.

I'm right there with you....been doing this 23 years (10 plus with Saia) straight through no breaks. Own everything except one vehicle.

I'm right there with you....been doing this 23 years (10 plus with Saia) straight through no breaks. Own everything except one vehicle.
One thing that I will never understand is why guys go out and buy these fancy pickups that cost around 30-60K and take out these 72 month loans that have $500-$700 dollar payments. New cars and trucks are very poor investments. They only depreciate in value. If they have a mortgage and other related cost that go with owning a home and a family to support it's just a horrible decision. We live in an uncertain world. The job you have today may be gone tomorrow. So many live paycheck to paycheck and if you lost your job for any reason your ****ed. I don't like living my life that way. Never have. To each their own I suppose.

One thing that I will never understand is why guys go out and buy these fancy pickups that cost around 30-60K and take out these 72 month loans that have $500-$700 dollar payments. New cars and trucks are very poor investments. They only depreciate in value. If they have a mortgage and other related cost that go with owning a home and a family to support it's just a horrible decision. We live in an uncertain world. The job you have today may be gone tomorrow. So many live paycheck to paycheck and if you lost your job for any reason your ****ed. I don't like living my life that way. Never have. To each their own I suppose.

You hit the nail on the head with that one. I have so many friends and relatives that think they have to go out and buy a brand new vehicle every 3-4 years. Funny enough, they are usually the ones who I hear complaining about not having any money.

3 years ago I paid $800 for my 2000 model pickup truck and after a couple small repairs I MIGHT have a total of $1100 wrapped up in it. I'm lucky because I'm a shadetree mechanic and can do my own repairs though. It's not the prettiest thing you've ever seen, but I wouldn't hesitate to jump in it and drive it across the country. I've never cared about appearances much anyway, which is exactly the problem with most people. They get caught up in the allure of shiny objects and personal image. The realists among us don't much care about that crap.

You hit the nail on the head with that one. I have so many friends and relatives that think they have to go out and buy a brand new vehicle every 3-4 years. Funny enough, they are usually the ones who I hear complaining about not having any money.

3 years ago I paid $800 for my 2000 model pickup truck and after a couple small repairs I MIGHT have a total of $1100 wrapped up in it. I'm lucky because I'm a shadetree mechanic and can do my own repairs though. It's not the prettiest thing you've ever seen, but I wouldn't hesitate to jump in it and drive it across the country. I've never cared about appearances much anyway, which is exactly the problem with most people. They get caught up in the allure of shiny objects and personal image. The realists among us don't much care about that crap.
Pretentious people that live beyond their means. I just had a friend bragging about what a good deal he got on his new 2016 Ford F350 King Ranch 4 wheel drive ... 62K list for 58K ... Are you kidding me? No practical application for that. He doesn't have a travel trailer to pull. I buy every vehicle pre-owned after it has taken it's initial depreciation hit. Then I drive it until the wheels fall off. And then I fix the wheels and drive it another 100K. I save my money for retirement the way my Father did. May he rest in peace. I often ask people would they have made that big purchase if they would have just lost their job. Funny how the answer is always no. Never take your job for granted because you could lose it tomorrow. Especially in our business. And double especially if your in management.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is why someone works their butt off day in and day out but yet lives like a cheapskate with a crappy vehicle.

Just because someone has an expensive vehicle doesn't mean they don't have savings and investments.

I don't work hard and spend 5-6 days on the road to come home to milk crate furniture and a rusty vehicle. You live like you do and that's fine and your perogative.

Others can live like they do and should be able to without judgment. If someone can make their payments then they certainly aren't living beyond their means.

Beyond a savings account and retirement accounts I don't understand the penny pincher lifestyle. You can't take it with you when you die. Enjoy life while your here.

What I don't understand is why someone works their butt off day in and day out but yet lives like a cheapskate with a crappy vehicle.

Just because someone has an expensive vehicle doesn't mean they don't have savings and investments.

I don't work hard and spend 5-6 days on the road to come home to milk crate furniture and a rusty vehicle. You live like you do and that's fine and your perogative.

Others can live like they do and should be able to without judgment. If someone can make their payments then they certainly aren't living beyond their means.

Beyond a savings account and retirement accounts I don't understand the penny pincher lifestyle. You can't take it with you when you die. Enjoy life while your here.

I prefer to max out my Roth IRA each year. To each their own. I'm far from a cheapskate and drive a 2015. The difference is I paid for it in cash. If I can't pay for it in cash then I don't need it that bad. A $500-600 car or truck payment is crazy IMO. I like to keep adding apples to my basket so I never have to worry about money when I retire. And that day will be here in about a year and a half.

My goal is to live life to its fullest and to make sure the last check I write bounces.
If at all possible I would like to be able to leave my children something. I've pre-paid my funeral for me and my wife. My legacy means something to me. I want them to be able to carry on some of the things I've started.

My goal is to live life to its fullest and to make sure the last check I write bounces.
If at all possible I would like to be able to leave my children something. I've pre-paid my funeral for me and my wife. My legacy means something to me. I want them to be able to carry on some of the things I've started.
Having your last check bounce does not mean you haven't taken care of your children, just means there is nothing for them to fight over.

Having your last check bounce does not mean you haven't taken care of your children, just means there is nothing for them to fight over.
My "will" is iron clad brother Joe. There will be no fighting. It would serve no purpose.

I wish supervisors would just shoot straight and eliminate the game playing. I'm very aware of the technology they have and how it works. If they have something on their minds then just get with the TM and let's sit down to a face to face. Do they really think I'm stupid enough to open myself to attack? Every move I make is calulated and I have an answer for it. We have a new guy in HR and I would be glad to discuss a few things on my mind. I'm not as stupid as I appear and act. I'm not as quiet as I appear either. Maybe it's time I open up a bit and set some of my humility aside. I don't have a lot to lose at my age. On the other hand, they may want to think long and hard before they go down a road that has no winners.

Last edited:
My history with Saia, and every other job for that matter, is that supervisors/management do not keep their workforce informed with effective communication. You can certainly go to HR, but they are likely just going to be a sounding board for you and let the situation simmer, hoping you either forget about it or leave it alone. It's the Achilles heel IMO of business in general. I'm not saying that we need to hear all the gorry details, but at least keep people informed and engaged. That's a good way to build loyalty, and would strengthen the company. Management generally only cares about who is above them, not the minions.

Management generally only cares about who is above them, not the minions.
Not looking for trouble, but if it comes my way I most certainly won't shy away from it. I will always take the path of least resistance until the day comes that I have no choice but to give what I'm being given.