XPO | application

Mileater said:
I am currently comparing companies to decide where to go.

What can a Company Driver expect to make in the first year?
est:25-30 grand

Also what rate do they start new drivers at CPM?
not sure new rate went into effect this week.

I do not quite understand the hourly pay, is this an alternative for the CPM?
no you get both.you get cpm when driving and the hour pay is for when you work the dock.and if your on night line-haul you'll do both.

I would be interested in their training, what do they pay for the dock work while schooling?
11-13per hour?

I am from Michigan, is this close enough to their OC at Indiana to qualify as a driver?
????????

Home every night usually?
every day and weekends off.

Annual income after 2 or 3 years?
top scale is after 5.3yr and the pay depends on if you city or line-haul

Hopefully someone can fill some of these blanks in.

I just realized you're talking about the apprentice program, sorry. Like Brutus said, 11-12 bucks an hour maybe? The rest is after you get your cdl.

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. The 25-30k the first year doesn't sound too good. I can do $40's with Schneider the first year, or $60k with TMC the first year. I hope that was a conservative figure and includes the training period.

The .399 CPM sounds good but they must not run you much the first year I guess.

Mileater said:
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. The 25-30k the first year doesn't sound too good. I can do $40's with Schneider the first year, or $60k with TMC the first year. I hope that was a conservative figure and includes the training period.

Consider all your options. TMC wont train you for a cdl, you have to pay for school first. Schneider will keep you out weeks at a time. I think your estimates of both are on the high side. Sleeping in a truck is no picnic. I've done my time and dont plan on ever having to do it again. A free cdl from a company as good as a Conway or Fedex is a great way to start. Plus the longer you stay on the road the harder it is to get off the road because you're making good money and dont want to start over at the bottom with a local company.

Mileater said:

Realistically you can expect 35K-40K or more first year depending on which terminal you go to... (Busier terminals you will work more)

Con-way freight is an out and back based LTL, meaning you never drive farther than you can return from within one shift...

If you work the City or Dock you are paid hourly, if you work Linehaul you are paid hourly to hook your set, Then you switch to Mileage pay to drive and then you are back hourly when you arrive at your destination... and reverse when you head home...

Well I found and applied for a position in my area. Strange thing is, the job title is listed as CDL Driver Apprentice/Sales Rep. What's with the sales rep deal? Does it mean you are representing the company as a driver or does it actually require sales?

Also, are all loads completely loaded by the driver or are there lumpers/dockworkers to help? Just wondering how the typical day is.

Mileater said:
Well I found and applied for a position in my area. Strange thing is, the job title is listed as CDL Driver Apprentice/Sales Rep. What's with the sales rep deal? Does it mean you are representing the company as a driver or does it actually require sales?

Also, are all loads completely loaded by the driver or are there lumpers/dockworkers to help? Just wondering how the typical day is.

Technically they consider a driver a "DSR" Driver Sales Rep... You just represent the comany, you technically don't have to sell...

It depends on the terminal whether or not they have dedicated dock workers, Some hire part timers to supplement their Out bound dock or have a Dock bid position... Most have the Drivers do it in some form though... When you go to a FAC on linehaul The Drivers do all of the dockwork...

We are a Drive, Dock, Drive Company...

Do you guys use these big long doubles for local or just for linehaul?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/mrwsm/ConwayDouble.jpg

ConwayDouble.jpg

I take it you don't have any double 45's? They must be mostly double 27 footers then?

BTW One more question and this might be subjective. Do they work you like a dog unloading and loading your own truck? I mean are you dead by the end of the day or is it just a good welcomed workout? I'm not afraid of work, just thinking of the long term here and trying to get an idea.

Mileater said:
I take it you don't have any double 45's? They must be mostly double 27 footers then?

BTW One more question and this might be subjective. Do they work you like a dog unloading and loading your own truck? I mean are you dead by the end of the day or is it just a good welcomed workout? I'm not afraid of work, just thinking of the long term here and trying to get an idea.

We run standard doubles/triples... 28 foot trailers nose to tail... double 45's are only legal on some turnpikes and we run triples on those pikes instead...

"Work you like a dog" depends on your opinion of work... 90% of the freight we haul is skid freight we use forklifts to move... There is some hand freight but not enough to worry that you will die of overwork... Nothing we do is difficult...