TForce | APWA/IBT NLRB Election to be held at KC

Dare I ask my questions again?
They seem to be unanswerable if thats a word?

Here goes one last time.
Say in the wildest stretch of imagination,the APWA does have any chance of representing UPS,and their freight division.
Will they be dealling with local issues from some high tower,in one state of the country?
Or are they going to have local union halls,like the Teamsters do now?
The Teamsters have local offices,with local officers that can deal with local contract issues on a personal basis.

The other question was will they have stewards to take care of each terminal,like the Teamsters have in place now?

These should be everyones concerns,when thinking of any representation.

If your TM goes against any contract language,are we going to be able to get it nipped in the bud,taken care of right away?
Or are we going to have a long drawn out process to put up with?

I've addressed these issues numerous times by asking these questions,and answers,or not,this is the last time I'm posting this.

The Apwa Will Have Stewards.due To It Being A Ups Only Union It's Hard To Tell If They Will Have A Local In Every City Or They Might Have One Or More Regional Halls Depending On The Number Of Terminals.again That's My Opinion

The Apwa Will Have Stewards.due To It Being A Ups Only Union It's Hard To Tell If They Will Have A Local In Every City Or They Might Have One Or More Regional Halls Depending On The Number Of Terminals.again That's My Opinion

Do you even know anything about the organization you are promoting? It doesn't sound like it.

They have said that it will have regions, eg, Ca, Nv, Az, would be a possible southwest region.

You need to call NC, or MD, or where ever the apwa calls home and get more info. I did and found no future, you might find the same. Educate yourself.

I talked to a Teamsters Local 41 (Kansas City) Officer today and was told that the apwa had only about 15 people attend a meeting Sunday. The Local 41 organizer was at the meeting also. I have no idea how many workers are employed in KC but they'll never win an election if only 15 people attended the meeting. Local 41 is handbilling and telling the UPSF workers to hang on until the INDY Contract is settled and is getting very positive feedback. Looks like the apwa will fail miserably in KC the way things are going. The guys in KC have figured out that the apwa promises are empty ones.

I talked to a Teamsters Local 41 (Kansas City) Officer today and was told that the apwa had only about 15 people attend a meeting Sunday. The Local 41 organizer was at the meeting also. I have no idea how many workers are employed in KC but they'll never win an election if only 15 people attended the meeting. Local 41 is handbilling and telling the UPSF workers to hang on until the INDY Contract is settled and is getting very positive feedback. Looks like the apwa will fail miserably in KC the way things are going. The guys in KC have figured out that the apwa promises are empty ones.
What more could they expect, stldude? Their whole campaign is based only on the pension and insurance issue... How do they intend to gain any kind of support when they haven't mentioned anything about protecting their potential members in the workplace? That's the #1 priority of a labor union...

Do you even know anything about the organization you are promoting? It doesn't sound like it.

They have said that it will have regions, eg, Ca, Nv, Az, would be a possible southwest region.

You need to call NC, or MD, or where ever the apwa calls home and get more info. I did and found no future, you might find the same. Educate yourself.
they told us they were called pods

Your questions, Apostolic.....
My understanding from discussions with the officers is....

Say in the wildest stretch of imagination,the APWA does have any chance of representing UPS,and their freight division.
Will they be dealling with local issues from some high tower,in one state of the country?

The APWA has divided the country into 13 regions. Each region is further subdivided into territories (also known as locals, or pods) based on the number of barns/employees that will need to be served. Business agents will have office space available to do business, but the majority of their time will be on the road in the barns taking care of the customers…..you…. within the local/pod. Initially the BA will service both UPS and UPSF facilities. As the UPSF employees become accustomed to working under a contract and gain that valuable experience, UPSF employees will be recruited so that the APWA business agent servicing the Freight side will have worked as a UPSF employee. The end goal is that the guy servicing your contract has walked a mile in your shoes. And since your BA only has to service ONE contract, their time and energy will be focused only on UPSF members and their needs. The BA will be supported by the steward in each building for channeling grievances and handling them in a timely manner. Meeting space for events/meetings will be rented on an as needed basis to keep overhead low.
-------------
The Teamsters have local offices,with local officers that can deal with local contract issues on a personal basis.
The local business agent will know the particulars of your local issues and contract needs. Should he/she not be able to resolve your issue, the regional manager will also be available to assist in disputes/grievances.
----------------
The other question was will they have stewards to take care of each terminal,like the Teamsters have in place now?
Yes.
---------------------------
If your TM goes against any contract language,are we going to be able to get it nipped in the bud,taken care of right away?

The stewards will be available for issues needing immediate attention. The grievance process set up by the APWA seeks to streamline the process so that grievances are resolved in a timely manner. When you submit a grievance, you will receive a tracking number which you can use to follow the progress of your grievance via the APWA website. From the filing date, your local BA has 30 days to resolve the grievance. At 31 days, the grievance automatically gets bumped to the regional manager’s desk electronically. And if they don’t get it settled within 60 days from filing, it then goes to the national office where heads start to roll. As each grievance is resolved, the results will be archived on the website database so that locals on the other side of the country can use previous cases as precedent to help resolve their cases quicker.

LOL! Allspin has no doubt read what I posted in regards to the **** poor crowd of about 15 at the KC meeting and didn't deny it. I'll bet that the repo man is searching for the bandwagon as I post this.

LOL! Allspin has no doubt read what I posted in regards to the **** poor crowd of about 15 at the KC meeting and didn't deny it. I'll bet that the repo man is searching for the bandwagon as I post this.

I was told the meeting in HRS had poor attendance as well.

Just like the UPS Parcel union they have now?:hysterical:

The APWA has divided the country into 13 regions. Each region is further subdivided into territories (also known as locals, or pods) based on the number of barns/employees that will need to be served. Business agents will have office space available to do business, but the majority of their time will be on the road in the barns taking care of the customers…..you…. within the local/pod. Initially the BA will service both UPS and UPSF facilities. As the UPSF employees become accustomed to working under a contract and gain that valuable experience, UPSF employees will be recruited so that the APWA business agent servicing the Freight side will have worked as a UPSF employee. The end goal is that the guy servicing your contract has walked a mile in your shoes. And since your BA only has to service ONE contract, their time and energy will be focused only on UPSF members and their needs. The BA will be supported by the steward in each building for channeling grievances and handling them in a timely manner. Meeting space for events/meetings will be rented on an as needed basis to keep overhead low.
-------------
The local business agent will know the particulars of your local issues and contract needs. Should he/she not be able to resolve your issue, the regional manager will also be available to assist in disputes/grievances.
----------------
Yes.

The stewards will be available for issues needing immediate attention. The grievance process set up by the APWA seeks to streamline the process so that grievances are resolved in a timely manner. When you submit a grievance, you will receive a tracking number which you can use to follow the progress of your grievance via the APWA website. From the filing date, your local BA has 30 days to resolve the grievance. At 31 days, the grievance automatically gets bumped to the regional manager’s desk electronically. And if they don’t get it settled within 60 days from filing, it then goes to the national office where heads start to roll. As each grievance is resolved, the results will be archived on the website database so that locals on the other side of the country can use previous cases as precedent to help resolve their cases quicker.

And out of these 13 regions, how many active paying UPS parcel members do you have? Facts only!! I don't expect an answer since you avoided my last similar question.

Well nospinzone thank you for addressing my concerns.
It looks likes your organization is getting all of their ducks in a row.

Its good to have a vision like you have.
Putting it into practise may be another story?

Alls I know up to this point is the Teamsters is a proven operation,and your outfit seems to just be in the planing stage?

We've been non-union forever,and to be looking at organizing,to be represented by an outside party,I feel in my many years of experience in our LTL trucking industry we'd be a lot better off with the operation thats already representing all of the other LTL companies.

Rather than the new kids on the block.

Maybe this is just the way I'm looking at this issue?
But I've been around awhile,and taking a chance on something new isn't always the best idea.

-------------
----------------
Yes.

If a terminal votes you guys in, I'm willing to bet they will decertify with in a year.

Heads start to roll? If you guys push the company too much, being you're a two-bit organization, they might just run the freight around that terminal to get serviced by another that was smart enough to keep you out.

I don't think you will have any weight to make the "heads roll".

If a terminal votes you guys in, I'm willing to bet they will decertify with in a year.

Heads start to roll? If you guys push the company too much, being you're a two-bit organization, they might just run the freight around that terminal to get serviced by another that was smart enough to keep you out.

I don't think you will have any weight to make the "heads roll".
LOL! I guess it depends on what Local.....oops, I mean Pod you belong to! This is getting more funny all the time. A Pod?

And out of these 13 regions, how many active paying UPS parcel members do you have? Facts only!! I don't expect an answer since you avoided my last similar question.
Labor group tries to court UPS workers
Association seeks to replace Teamsters, stumps for vote
By Bill Wolfe
[email protected]
The Courier-Journal
June 1, 2007

A new labor group that wants to replace the Teamsters in representing UPS drivers and package handlers visited the Worldport sorting hub in Louisville yesterday campaigning for a national union-selection vote.

The Association of Parcel Workers of America hopes to collect about 73,000 signatures -- representing about 30 percent of the eligible UPS workers nationwide -- to prompt the vote under federal labor laws.

More than 5,000 employees have returned signed cards, and several thousand more will be distributed in the next few weeks, APWA President Van Skillman said in a telephone interview.........

SOURCE

This is the only number I have that's printed in black and white. Its dated June 1, and they started signing cards for Parcel in late March/May. I'm not an officer or accountant for the APWA so I don't know the membership numbers.
-------------------------------

Apostolic,
Those are questions and considerations that each of you must look at when deciding who will be your CBA. For me and my PARCEL co-workers, the IBT has ruined the strong name that they've worked so hard to establish over the years. We're not debating what was done in the past, but who is poised to serve us better in the future. To us, the Teamsters are seen at UPS as a leach. Their service has declined over the years-- grievances take months to get resolved. The cronyism and favoritism (ie..corruption) has become too widespread. The Parcel side has a good contract when it comes to working condition, but we need a CBA who will enforce the damn thing!

And then there is the pension. The guys who have been around and were preparing to retire got reamed in the CS plans. Between the pension reductions and the increase in insurance premiums/copays, we would have nothing left to live off of each month.

Now this dependency that the IBT has on UPS membership dues has them backpeddling in negotiations. For the past two years, IBT has been crying that if UPS withdrew from the plans with a CBA switch to APWA, the plans would go under. Seems like their story has changed now that UPS is wanting to buy out of the plans to set up a UPS Parcel-only plan. So what carrot do you think UPS is dangling in front of the IBT to go for that withdrawal?? Card check agreements at all the UPSF facilities...... and all that new membership due money and new pension contributions. And those are contributions that the IBT won't have to pay benefits on for at least five or ten years. That's what all this is about to the IBT....$$$$$$$$$$$$.
---------------------------------

Union Fund Exit Would Cost UPS Up to $4 Billion
By Daniel P. Bearth, Staff Writer
Transport Topics
5/28/2007

UPS Inc., which is negotiating to leave the underfunded Teamsters Central States Pension Fund, would have to pay about $3.6 billion to $4 billion to cover its share of the fund’s obligations, according to industry sources.

Teamsters officials said the parcel giant has offered to create a new, jointly administered, company-funded pension plan for full-time employees to replace the existing plan. The company would pay an unspecified lump sum to withdraw from Central States, but would continue to contribute to other Teamsters pension and health and welfare funds....

SOURCE