APWA/IBT NLRB Election to be held at KC

Discussion in 'UPS Freight' started by nospinzone, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Mike01

Mike01 Member

I understand what you are saying, APO, as far as going with experiance instead of something, or actually someone, that has absolutely no experiance in representing employees. A very sound piece of logic

One small correction though. The Union is NOT an "outside party". The Union is made up of the members. The Union is only as strong as the members make it.

2. stldude44

stldude44 Active Member

This number being printed in black and white is meaningless. Van Skillman could have said whatever he wanted to. How would anybody know if it's accurate? Once again Allspin, you aren't doing very well convincing any of us of anything other than the apwa is not a viable option. No experience, no Union leadership, just 2 malcontents who won't even pay their dues.

3. nospinzone

nospinzone Member

stldude44 (yellow freight employee),

I'm not interested in convincing you of anything. You don't work for UPS. You don't have a vote in this. But if what you're saying is true, then you have nothing to fear in the upcoming election, do you?

APWA Election News Flash

APWA Officials sign THEIR copy of the NLRB election agreement on Tuesday, July 03, 2007.

The agreement states that those eligible to vote are: Road & City Drivers, Full time & Part Time Dock Workers, Yard Jockeys, OS&D Clerks, Building Maintained Employees and Operations Clerks.

ALL eligible employees MUST have been on the payroll as of June 30, 2007.

Polls will be open:

Sunday, August 05, 2007 from 9:30 pm to 12:30 am Monday, August 06, 2007.

Monday, August 06, 2007 from 6 pm to 11 pm.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 from 6 am to 11 am.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 from 1:30 pm to 5Pm.

Election location is the west dock office at the terminal

4. Docksteward

Docksteward Teamsters Local 71

First off I would like to say that this is a great thread. :smilies-19296: Lots of posts and sharing of info. I went back and read through all of them. From what I gather both Van and Dan are upset about the pension fund (Central States) They blamed the changes on their local union and got out of the union! :biglaugh:

Now they want UPSF employees to join their "union". Like spoiled children, they can't get what they want so they are taking their toys and playing by themselves. Well everyone in the major pension funds took a hit, they weren't the only ones. You don't see me jumping ship, do ya??

You guys realize that they work in a "right to work for less" state and even though they don't pay union dues they still receive full pay and H&W contributions?!?

All monies they get in their paychecks and benefits were negotiated on their behalf.

Members pay union dues to fund representation and support for the members.

Neither of them do. I do, and am ashamed to say they used to belong to my local. RV and Jack worked their azzes off to make it the best for the members.....and this is how they are rewarded. Thanks for your support.

Those in "closed shop" states can tell you what happens to people that want to get union pay and benefits, but don't pay dues.

Again, this is a very good thread. :1036316054: DS.

5. stldude44

stldude44 Active Member

No, I personally have nothing to fear, nor do I believe anyone else does either. I do however believe that the UPSF employees who have never been in a Union need to realize what a mistake it would be for them to even consider being represented by a group (I can't call it a Union) who is led by 2 guys who won't even pay dues to the Teamsters, who have fought for and won every condition and benefit they still enjoy.......
    If they were really Union men they be paying dues and would not have a Union busting lawyer as their legal counsel.
    Also, why no comment on the poor attendance of the KC meeting? Do you think 15 people will win your election?

6. Mike01

Mike01 Member

Does anybody know when these two guys got out of the Union?

I wonder if they were to get fired for something, say, stealing time or talking on their cell phones while driving, if they would go to the Teamsters to get their jobs back?

7. nightshadow

nightshadow Member

The APWA. Two thoughts come to mind . .
    Stalking Horse

and

Judas Goat.

8. Docksteward

Hey Mike, our "right to work for less" laws say that anyone working a union job, paying dues or not, must be represented. :nutkick:

So again, they receive the same benefits that good standing union members get, for free!! Plus they get to go around and talk shiet about the Teamsters while the whole time getting the perks!!

Does anyone else see the problem here??

DS.

9. Mike01

Mike01 Member

And why did they refuse admission to people that wanted to attend?

10. Docksteward

Good one, nightshadow............I had to google it, and you are right on the mark!! :police: DS.

11. Mike01

Mike01 Member

I understand the right to work crap. My point was that these two guys think the Teamsters are so evil and want nothing to do with them. Are they going to go back to them, hat in hand as it were, if they need somebody to defend their job for them?

12. Docksteward

The best of both worlds............

They don't have to. If they were discharged, their bargaining unit "Teamsters" will represent them, by labor law.

But from what I gather we won't have to worry about UPS doing that......figure it out for yourself!! LOL DS.

13. nightshadow

nightshadow Member

Are you sure all this telephone time is not being spent on behalf of the company (in a company sanctioned activity)?

14. BusterNite

BusterNite Well-Known Member

You seem to know an awful lot about the APWA and seem to be in touch with the APWA officers and you claim that you do not know how many active paying members are in your organization? I would think that this would be a big question asked by anyone interested in a labor union. We all know that a labor union is only as strong as the amount of members in the union. So with all your contacts could you please get the amount of active paying members that you have. This should be very Important to anyone interested in the APWA. Facts only. So far you have shown me that the APWA has ZERO active paying members.

15. nightshadow

nightshadow Member

This is what is known as a convenient or self-serving memory lapse

16. HillBilly Frog

HillBilly Frog Active Member

nospin are you just going to do your usual thing and ignore this post?

I'll save you the time of looking it up. I am a ABF linehaul driver. A card carrying Teamster and dues paying Teamster for over 32 years in Teamsters Local 391.

Yep the same local that your great founders came out of and refuse to pay their dues to but have no problem excepting all the benefits that have been negotiated for them by the Teamsters.

What is your position with the apwa?

You tell others so quickly that they have no reason to be involved with or interest in this so called union.

17. Apostolic

Apostolic Super Moderator Staff Member

What do these new members receive for the money they've invested in the APWA,if the Teamsters are bound to represent them?
    Because their employer is a Teamsters represented Company?

Many years ago I worked with a city driver who had got himself booted out of the Teamsters because of he couldn't keep his big mouth shut,when he was asked,and almost cause a riot at one of our local meetings.

When he retired he was able to collect monthly retirement payments from the Teamsters.

Simply because the trucking company we both worked for was represented by the Teamsters union.
    Given the fact that our pay,and benefits were paid to us from that trucking company which was bound to the Teamsters contract.

So although this guy was no longer a member,in that he didn't pay any dues.
    His pay,and benefits were the same as all other dues paying members,because he was working for our Teamster represented company.

I hope I posted this ok so everyone sees what I'm getting at?

18. HillBilly Frog

Is New York a "right to work for less" state?

19. Apostolic

Apostolic Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes sir your correct hillbilly frog You have the right to except the lowest amount possible to earn your living with as many part time jobs,or a fultime,and part time jobs as it takes.

New York as far as I know has always been a right to work state.

This is funny I just posted an example of this in post #156 on this thread,just before your question.
    About a driver I worked with,who wasn't a Teamster yet was able to work at a Teamster company,and received all of the benefits.

20. HillBilly Frog

Then what you posted is correct. The guy gets all the benefits of union representation without having to pay the dues. Stupid labor laws that always are slanted against organized labor.