ABF | ArcBest Corporation's (ARCB) CEO Judy McReynolds on Q2 2016 Results - Earnings Call Transcript

Freightmaster1

TB Legend
Credits
http://seekingalpha.com/article/399...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

Todd Fowler

And then just for a quick follow up, Judy, I know that you’re always in conversations with the unions, can you just help us think about the timing of the contract negotiation as we move into 2017 and maybe how we think about some of that communication externally and what we should be thinking about over the next several quarters along that line?

Judy McReynolds

Well, you’re right to anticipate that. I mean, there is a planning process that goes along with that that it’s something that comes up every five years. We have a team that’s very experienced in that area. Typically, what you would see is those activities ramping up some time in the late fall or late in the year of 2017, but we’re really not speaking to something being scheduled because nothing is at this point. But that’s kind of the norm there.

And I don’t know if you remember this, but in the last contract, we went through that process very smoothly without really any kind of disruption in our operation or anything that was troubling or concerning. And so that’s certainly what we would expect to see this next go around.

Todd Fowler

I was just looking for that, so a year from now really is when we should start maybe thinking about some of the communication, nothing significant anytime sooner.

Judy McReynolds

Right.
John Barnes

So two things: one, I wanted to follow up on the teamster contract negotiations and I know it’s a ways off, but given that both you and YRC kind of went your separate ways in terms of how you negotiated additional agreements with the teamsters outside of the National Master Freight Agreement, is this a scenario where maybe you finally go your own way in terms of just negotiating separately with the teamsters or do you think this will be done on a joint basis industry-wide again because it seems to me like there is just different needs for both of you, right.

Judy McReynolds

I agree. I mean, I think that’s true, but also there’s something maybe more fundamental in that we have our own agreement and our agreement runs through the end of March of 2018. I believe there’s after-hours and so it is a separate process for us.

John Barnes

So you’re not talking about a National Master Freight Agreement any longer? This will be a separate, so you’ll be negotiating with them directly.

Judy McReynolds

I want to be sure that we say this right, but it is called the National Master Freight Agreement, but there is a separate agreement for ABF and a separate agreement that YRC operates under. And there may be agreements, I’m not clear on that, but we’re definitely separate from them in the way that the process works and the negotiations would work.

John Barnes

And occasionally you’ve kind of gotten behind UPS and that’s always kind of maybe [drugged out] the process of finally getting around to LTL, any concern on that?

Judy McReynolds

None that would have revealed itself at this point.
:hyper:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/399...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

Todd Fowler

And then just for a quick follow up, Judy, I know that you’re always in conversations with the unions, can you just help us think about the timing of the contract negotiation as we move into 2017 and maybe how we think about some of that communication externally and what we should be thinking about over the next several quarters along that line?

Judy McReynolds

Well, you’re right to anticipate that. I mean, there is a planning process that goes along with that that it’s something that comes up every five years. We have a team that’s very experienced in that area. Typically, what you would see is those activities ramping up some time in the late fall or late in the year of 2017, but we’re really not speaking to something being scheduled because nothing is at this point. But that’s kind of the norm there.

And I don’t know if you remember this, but in the last contract, we went through that process very smoothly without really any kind of disruption in our operation or anything that was troubling or concerning. And so that’s certainly what we would expect to see this next go around.

Todd Fowler

I was just looking for that, so a year from now really is when we should start maybe thinking about some of the communication, nothing significant anytime sooner.

Judy McReynolds

Right.
John Barnes

So two things: one, I wanted to follow up on the teamster contract negotiations and I know it’s a ways off, but given that both you and YRC kind of went your separate ways in terms of how you negotiated additional agreements with the teamsters outside of the National Master Freight Agreement, is this a scenario where maybe you finally go your own way in terms of just negotiating separately with the teamsters or do you think this will be done on a joint basis industry-wide again because it seems to me like there is just different needs for both of you, right.

Judy McReynolds

I agree. I mean, I think that’s true, but also there’s something maybe more fundamental in that we have our own agreement and our agreement runs through the end of March of 2018. I believe there’s after-hours and so it is a separate process for us.

John Barnes

So you’re not talking about a National Master Freight Agreement any longer? This will be a separate, so you’ll be negotiating with them directly.

Judy McReynolds

I want to be sure that we say this right, but it is called the National Master Freight Agreement, but there is a separate agreement for ABF and a separate agreement that YRC operates under. And there may be agreements, I’m not clear on that, but we’re definitely separate from them in the way that the process works and the negotiations would work.

John Barnes

And occasionally you’ve kind of gotten behind UPS and that’s always kind of maybe [drugged out] the process of finally getting around to LTL, any concern on that?

Judy McReynolds

None that would have revealed itself at this point.
:hyper:
Last contract went through very smoothly? It was held up 6 months before it was passed!

I see only 3 other replies and out of those no mention of only 1/2 the NET of our second qtr compared to last year.. With all numbers relatively the same? You all and Everyone should be paying attention to this and making everyone aware of these numbers.. This is bad and should be watched each quarter.. Judys responses were elementary to the questions as well.. Read her transcripts.. I am not a conspiracy theorist, but holy cow, where is the other 10 million compared to other similar revenue and tonnage, operating ratio? Its coming Gentlemen and Ladies... Be ready... pay attn. to this stuff

I, personally, am hoping we have completely different leadership at the IBT level,........and I guarantee you Miss Judy won't be whistling past the graveyard and blithely chirping about how a 6 month extension and 3 contract votes are..........business as usual......

I wonder what lies they are cooking up as we speak in preparation for contract talk season to scare the timid with......

UPS Freight is going to merge with YRC and slash freight rates and merge pensions?

NEMF is going to buy ABF and dissolve the defined-benefit funds?

SAIA is going to buy the western portion of ABF's operations and everyone will entail in seniority?

Gee,.......this is fun......Sometimes I wish I was a trucking company CEO with no morals or scruples to make imaginative lies to terrorize my employees into giving up even more of their pay and benefits........

Surely they won't resurrect the old rumor of YRC buying us again?

I, personally, am hoping we have completely different leadership at the IBT level,........and I guarantee you Miss Judy won't be whistling past the graveyard and blithely chirping about how a 6 month extension and 3 contract votes are..........business as usual......

I wonder what lies they are cooking up as we speak in preparation for contract talk season to scare the timid with......

UPS Freight is going to merge with YRC and slash freight rates and merge pensions?

NEMF is going to buy ABF and dissolve the defined-benefit funds?

SAIA is going to buy the western portion of ABF's operations and everyone will entail in seniority?

Gee,.......this is fun......Sometimes I wish I was a trucking company CEO with no morals or scruples to make imaginative lies to terrorize my employees into giving up even more of their pay and benefits........

Surely they won't resurrect the old rumor of YRC buying us again?
I heard Manny Matson was selling the Ambassador bridge so Central Transport could buy ABF

I heard Manny Matson was selling the Ambassador bridge so Central Transport could buy ABF

There you go! Truck color almost right , too. A few spray cans of swamp green over that infected yellow,.........

Of course they'd have to teach the Central drivers how to properly button their new uniforms........and probably how to tie their shoes, too......

Vote no. If they say they ain't got no money then shut the damn doors. No givebacks and remember. Don't just talk it. Show it come contract time we mean damn business!!!
Don't forget, Hoffa knows what's best for us and he has the right to approve our contract for us so don't get your hopes up too high.

Yup, ...... Brother ABFer is absolutely right. During the UPS negotiations, Mr. Hoffa was able to jam through an IBT Constitutional change that allows the Executive Board to approve any contract if they think it's in the members "best interests". .......

Who needs those stinky truckdrivers voting on contracts anyway?......

Mr. Hoffa and crew has our "best interests" at heart........ Haven't they proved that in the last contracts........?......

There you go! Truck color almost right , too. A few spray cans of swamp green over that infected yellow,.........

Of course they'd have to teach the Central drivers how to properly button their new uniforms........and probably how to tie their shoes, too......
Well sweat pants ,wife beaters and sandals are self adjusting, getting the turban on with the teamster logo facing the right way may take some training.