ABF | ArcBest Logistics giving UPak to Old Dominion

6PakAbs

TB Veteran
Credits
Anyone heard that the Fart is giving the UPak Pup business to OD? Leaves us with the ReLo cubes..

I have heard that...just a way to continue to erode the ABF Freight System brand name...almost all the old TimeKeeper business goes to Panther...when anyone calls for a quote for TK or Upak, our Logistics dept takes it away from the freight division. Anyone else hear or agree/disagree about this.

Question: Has your TK or UPak trailer business been flat???

lots of views and no replies? Must be true...OD would not do this on our trucks...on their own..but it seems like ArcBest Logistics is giving them good ole Teamster work...Hey, I don't like them either, but work is work...OD shares over $100 and now a union company giving them business..go figure..and no, OD will not buy ABF. Now ...ArcBest could fit in OD's business model.

lots of views and no replies? Must be true...OD would not do this on our trucks...on their own..but it seems like ArcBest Logistics is giving them good ole Teamster work...Hey, I don't like them either, but work is work...OD shares over $100 and now a union company giving them business..go figure..and no, OD will not buy ABF. Now ...ArcBest could fit in OD's business model.
This has been going on for a long time with OD Fort claim to be doing it during busy time to cover business and to not tie up trailers during said busy time most of time critical shiptments are thru Panther/Arcbest Logistics while ABF gets revenue from all time critical shiptments and UPACKS panther and move builders also get a piece of said revenue Move builders started handling upack shiptments when ARC Best Logistics bought a small moving company a couple years ago All ways to keep ABF from showing a decent profit

I haven't seen any of what your saying. Not saying it's not happening in your area. Old Dominion has copied our u-pack service in our area anyway like three years ago. It's called OD Household.

I haven't seen any of what your saying. Not saying it's not happening in your area. Old Dominion has copied our u-pack service in our area anyway like three years ago. It's called OD Household.
The management of ABF says Move Builders gives moves to OD my guess is they also give some to ESTES who also have started the same service By having a sister company control the business generated by upack or time critical allows the sister company to move the freight as they see fit Does Not have to be on ANF trucks

so, what is going to happen when ArcBest Logistics gives all the LTL business to OD/Estes and shuts the doors on the Teamsters and the CSPF?Don't be fooled, Consolidated Freightways has already set the model program...Beware of Labor Day! Maybe not 2017, but 2018. It looks like they are farming out all of the business. I am very bitter about this....then, what will the YES men say? ArcBest will say.."thank you very much", but goodbye...we don't need you any more..

Anyone heard that the Fart is giving the UPak Pup business to OD? Leaves us with the ReLo cubes..

I have heard that...just a way to continue to erode the ABF Freight System brand name...almost all the old TimeKeeper business goes to Panther...when anyone calls for a quote for TK or Upak, our Logistics dept takes it away from the freight division. Anyone else hear or agree/disagree about this.

Question: Has your TK or UPak trailer business been flat???
ABF has had a corner on the U-Pack market for years. I can't blame either OD or 'Testes' for wanting a piece of that action. I don't know what their rates are, but I'm guessing they're lower than we are. Again, just guessing. We do a fair amount of both trailers and 'boobs' from April-October...when the schools let out and then begin again. Plus the usual 'everybody-moves-in-the-summer' spike. After that, it tapers off quite a bit.

This will be a big issue at contract time. If indeed they are 'giving away' U-Pack business of any kind to another carrier, there will be a record of the transaction.

so, what is going to happen when ArcBest Logistics gives all the LTL business to OD/Estes and shuts the doors on the Teamsters and the CSPF?Don't be fooled, Consolidated Freightways has already set the model program...Beware of Labor Day! Maybe not 2017, but 2018. It looks like they are farming out all of the business. I am very bitter about this....then, what will the YES men say? ArcBest will say.."thank you very much", but goodbye...we don't need you any more..
CF already had the regional Conway Freight system in place when that happened. ABF has very little, if any, sub-structure in place. If a 'plan' is already in place to close us down, then why not just do it? This is where our Union leadership needs to buck up...along with the members. 2018 can't get here soon enough for me.

well, it is like this,,,I cannot prove it with a white paper bill of lading..but as you know, we have a lot of ex employees that work for OD...I was told by one of them. Take it at face value, but I heard it from his mouth and my 2 pork chop sized ears...but I am telling you, ArcBest is building up its non union assets and bases/contacts/contracts (with them)...I won't beat a dead horse to death so I am through commenting on this..just be aware AND start asking questions!!!

since od is the official trucking co. of major league baseball it makes sense to have upak. when ball players are traded they use od to move their belongings to their next destination where it may be.

So does anyone have any proof that ABF is giving away this business to another carrier? OD,or anyone? Just asking....

So does anyone have any proof that ABF is giving away this business to another carrier? OD,or anyone? Just asking....
All you have to do is check on atwork employee site Question was asked Forts response was yes. Been going on for three or four years now. This is not new. What has changed is our specialty moves have been put under sister companies and the sister companies determine how to move the freight Doesn't have to be on ABF Can be ABF YRC OD Panther Pts or any way they determine is best

All you have to do is check on atwork employee site Question was asked Forts response was yes. Been going on for three or four years now. This is not new. What has changed is our specialty moves have been put under sister companies and the sister companies determine how to move the freight Doesn't have to be on ABF Can be ABF YRC OD Panther Pts or any way they determine is best
In other words, wherever they want to show the profit.

Any diversion of work currently performed by bargaining unit members is a violation of Art. 32. However, if the initial collection of that work is at an ArcBest office , such as the U-Pack division, that division can subcontract "new" work out to anyone, including it's direct competitors.

This is where Ernie Soehl needs to step up and demand to see the cumulative totals for the U-Pack work being ...."bid out"....to other.....uhh..."vendors". The U-Pack division has been very profitable, and should be a growing part of ABF's business...........Therefore, if ABF's actual totals for U-Pack moves has gone down, and "sub-contracting" of U-Packs through non-Union...."vendors"....has gone up,........there's your de-facto case of an Article 32 violation.....

The last year I worked for ABF, the company made the "local" decision to remove our Relo-Cube trailer, and not do any Relo-Cube work in the four Western Penna. counties we covered. As steward, I informed the Labor man for the company that if I saw a single Relo-Cube anywhere in the area we ran, I would file an Art. 32 grievance.....His response was: "And you should!". He indicated to me that removal of work currently performed by our seniority board would preclude any subcontracting of such work and would be indefensible at a grievance hearing.

Good luck with Mr. Soehl agreeing with any Art. 32 issue. His track record with me and Local #30 isn't so good. Pittsburgh terminal ran a U-Pack load 100 miles south,......right through the heart of our coverage area in Greensburg ,........and the Pgh. steward called me immediately because we both thought it was a jurisdictional violation. Not so Mr. Soehl! He said there are no "jurisdictions"......only zip codes, ......and ABF had the right to use any terminal it wished to deliver and pick up a U-Pack,..........even if it was a zip code RIGHT NEXT DOOR to another terminal,...as long as that zip code wasn't a direct point. And,...........ABF had the ...."right"......to lose as much money as they wanted on unprofitable deadhead and stem times, even though logistically, it made better business sense to dispatch a U-Pack out of a much closer terminal........

And,......don't forget the Article 12 "Uniforms" decision his Eastern Regional panel ruled on. Read Art. 12, and then reflect on why ABF insisted on using the worst Union-busting uniform vendor in the nation to push the mandatory uniforms. ABF said they couldn't "find" a Union vendor,or manufacturer............and Ernie"s panel agreed. Funny,...........all the Union apparel I buy at the Union hall is "Made In America" by Union vendors. I believe our Locals here provided the Regional Panel about 10 Union vendors that would cover Art. 12 requirements........

Nope,......that Panel said it was fine for ABF to subcontract out to the worst anti-Union , Union-busting vendor in America..........Thank You! Made me Proud to wear that uniform!

You guys are going into contract talks soon. You've got to put pressure on Mr. Soehl so he can keep the non-Union ArcBest overlord of ABF from bleeding off and subcontracting work out , merely because the separate non-Union divisions are saying this is "new" work , created by that division. Messr's Johnson and Sweeton,.......Fric and Frac.........made a HUGE error by allowing U-Pack and TimeKeeper,......work that the bargaining unit had done.....FOR YEARS,......to be moved away from ABF and set up as a different....."branch".....of ArcBest.

Was that error Stupidity?.......OR Complicity? We'll have to call the country club up and find out what their tee time was so we can track them down and ask them,......in the hopes of getting an honest answer.........

And,.......Just so "anyone"....who wants to "threaten" about defamation of "character"........wants to know..........I have all my notes,...for years. So does Local #30 and Local #249.........Times, dates, grievance numbers.......the works.....

Any diversion of work currently performed by bargaining unit members is a violation of Art. 32. However, if the initial collection of that work is at an ArcBest office , such as the U-Pack division, that division can subcontract "new" work out to anyone, including it's direct competitors.

This is where Ernie Soehl needs to step up and demand to see the cumulative totals for the U-Pack work being ...."bid out"....to other.....uhh..."vendors". The U-Pack division has been very profitable, and should be a growing part of ABF's business...........Therefore, if ABF's actual totals for U-Pack moves has gone down, and "sub-contracting" of U-Packs through non-Union...."vendors"....has gone up,........there's your de-facto case of an Article 32 violation.....

The last year I worked for ABF, the company made the "local" decision to remove our Relo-Cube trailer, and not do any Relo-Cube work in the four Western Penna. counties we covered. As steward, I informed the Labor man for the company that if I saw a single Relo-Cube anywhere in the area we ran, I would file an Art. 32 grievance.....His response was: "And you should!". He indicated to me that removal of work currently performed by our seniority board would preclude any subcontracting of such work and would be indefensible at a grievance hearing.

Good luck with Mr. Soehl agreeing with any Art. 32 issue. His track record with me and Local #30 isn't so good. Pittsburgh terminal ran a U-Pack load 100 miles south,......right through the heart of our coverage area in Greensburg ,........and the Pgh. steward called me immediately because we both thought it was a jurisdictional violation. Not so Mr. Soehl! He said there are no "jurisdictions"......only zip codes, ......and ABF had the right to use any terminal it wished to deliver and pick up a U-Pack,..........even if it was a zip code RIGHT NEXT DOOR to another terminal,...as long as that zip code wasn't a direct point. And,...........ABF had the ...."right"......to lose as much money as they wanted on unprofitable deadhead and stem times, even though logistically, it made better business sense to dispatch a U-Pack out of a much closer terminal........

And,......don't forget the Article 12 "Uniforms" decision his Eastern Regional panel ruled on. Read Art. 12, and then reflect on why ABF insisted on using the worst Union-busting uniform vendor in the nation to push the mandatory uniforms. ABF said they couldn't "find" a Union vendor,or manufacturer............and Ernie"s panel agreed. Funny,...........all the Union apparel I buy at the Union hall is "Made In America" by Union vendors. I believe our Locals here provided the Regional Panel about 10 Union vendors that would cover Art. 12 requirements........

Nope,......that Panel said it was fine for ABF to subcontract out to the worst anti-Union , Union-busting vendor in America..........Thank You! Made me Proud to wear that uniform!

You guys are going into contract talks soon. You've got to put pressure on Mr. Soehl so he can keep the non-Union ArcBest overlord of ABF from bleeding off and subcontracting work out , merely because the separate non-Union divisions are saying this is "new" work , created by that division. Messr's Johnson and Sweeton,.......Fric and Frac.........made a HUGE error by allowing U-Pack and TimeKeeper,......work that the bargaining unit had done.....FOR YEARS,......to be moved away from ABF and set up as a different....."branch".....of ArcBest.

Was that error Stupidity?.......OR Complicity? We'll have to call the country club up and find out what their tee time was so we can track them down and ask them,......in the hopes of getting an honest answer.........
And the patients health keeps declining & no one sees the problem or has a solution. Doe that pretty much describe what is going on @ ABF? von.

And the patients health keeps declining & no one sees the problem or has a solution. Doe that pretty much describe what is going on @ ABF? von.

Yup. You know it, Brother.......And they do, too. In medical "care", it's easy for a doctor to ignore major symptoms when he figures the patient is going to die. You are drawing an allegory with ABF as the patient, and our IBT officials as the "doctors"...